ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound for fellowship hall  (Read 3224 times)

Fred Dorado

Sound for fellowship hall
« on: September 11, 2018, 11:41:33 AM »

Hey all, wondering what would be a good option for sound for our fellowship hall. It is wide and shallow with a tall ceiling. The pic is from the back of the room.

Video and sound are used for childrens ministry, worship videos, movies and overflow from worship center, etc. Nothing live since I have been here, but not out of the question.

there is nothing wired to the front, so new cabling would need to be run to the front and to the projector (current using single yellow video input). Planning on running new hdmi cable

Outputs are from a computer and DVD player just out of frame to the right.

right now sound is from some giant old speakers stuffed in the corner running off a small powered mixer.

No budget yet, but probably don't want to spend more than 600-800.

thoughts?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Sound for fellowship hall
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 12:28:46 PM »

Hey all, wondering what would be a good option for sound for our fellowship hall. It is wide and shallow with a tall ceiling. The pic is from the back of the room.

Video and sound are used for childrens ministry, worship videos, movies and overflow from worship center, etc. Nothing live since I have been here, but not out of the question.

there is nothing wired to the front, so new cabling would need to be run to the front and to the projector (current using single yellow video input). Planning on running new hdmi cable

Outputs are from a computer and DVD player just out of frame to the right.

right now sound is from some giant old speakers stuffed in the corner running off a small powered mixer.

No budget yet, but probably don't want to spend more than 600-800.

thoughts?

That room is the size of a living room.  Wall mounted speakers and a little sub would do great.  You are not going to get much for $800.00

I would buy a screen too, and I am sure someone could donate a 16:9 projector.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Taylor Hall

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 12:59:42 PM »

What kind of "giant old speakers" are we talking about? Could they be reused for the time being and supplemented with more gear? Alternately, can they be sold and provide some extra change to the project fund?

Like Scott said, that room is tiny, so pretty much anything with more grunt than some desktop PC speakers will be more than enough sound for that room.

Screens are really cheap form Carl's Place (https://www.carlofet.com), I wager a 4x7 or 5x9 would be perfect for that wall, and only cost your around $100 for a finished screen you can hang right on the wall.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Fred Dorado

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 02:10:26 PM »

What should I be thinking in terms of budget?

I was thinking the room was small enough it wouldn't need much.

thanks I will look into a screen.

I was going to try and do sound and then update the projector down the road.

The giant speakers (very corner of pic) are some Genz-Benz dual 15's with a horn (GB-215HT) - we also have a Yamaha EMX640 powered mixer used to run them.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 03:08:25 PM »

Those seem plenty powerful enough to fill that room, even without a sub. If you can get them off the floor a bit with a pole stand in either corner that'd be plenty of coverage. All you'd need to do at that point is run one longer speaker signal cable across the room which is easily hidden out of the way along wall trim. I'd test with that setup first and see how they like it, worst case they say no and you source something different.

It seems like the biggest area of improvement is for video since there appears to be a decent amount of sound (unless the cabinets aren't performing like they should). A good quality projector will run you $5-600, projector central will help you out a lot with selection to find the best model to match throw pattern and light output for your room and budget.

1) Do it right

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 03:12:22 PM »

What should I be thinking in terms of budget?

I was thinking the room was small enough it wouldn't need much.

thanks I will look into a screen.

I was going to try and do sound and then update the projector down the road.

The giant speakers (very corner of pic) are some Genz-Benz dual 15's with a horn (GB-215HT) - we also have a Yamaha EMX640 powered mixer used to run them.

You can get a great used projector for $300 with a new bulb.

For God's sake take the 10 seconds to level it.  I would have to have therapy after looking at that.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Fred Dorado

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 05:01:07 PM »

a couple things.

it hasn't been a high priority as I am new here, so just starting to get around to looking at options.

I will work on leveling it, when I run the new cables.

The current speakers -
amp output being run through the TRS (mic) line on a 8 channel snake
too big for the room. they are stuff in the corner behind a movable wall. If I center them they take up too much space. I could put one in each corner with new cables and see how that goes.

Video -
I will start looking at it more closely. Video in our worship center needs more help, so I was going to leave this one until I dealt with that. but I will see what my options are.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 06:00:19 PM »

Yeah, should have qualified that the cabinets should be put in either corner, my brain has already checked out for today! Sounds like you've got a good roadmap for now, at least.
1) Do it right

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 12:17:01 AM »

The current speakers -
amp output being run through the TRS (mic) line on a 8 channel snake...

BZZT! Wrong answer! But maybe you knew that.

The wiring in a typical snake isn't of adequate size for connecting speakers to amplifier outputs. You can damage the snake by overloading the wiring, and the small gauge of wire can make the speakers perform poorly.

The specific size of wire to use depends on several factors including peak program power, speaker impedance, and distance, but it shouldn't be any smaller than 16 AWG.

Getting adequate wire from the amp to the speakers could greatly improve the sound quality.

Even though the speakers may be too physically large for the space, they'll still work for testing out different arrangements to optimize placement. Once you've got that figured out, then maybe you'll have a better idea of what you ultimately need.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 12:17:01 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.