ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bassboss active subwoofer advice.  (Read 5650 times)

Roberto Orozco

Bassboss active subwoofer advice.
« on: September 11, 2018, 11:26:08 AM »

Hi, I’m considering buying a couple of bassboss 18” powered subwoofers, specifically the model DJ18S, 2500w continuos according to the manufacturer.

Have any worked with this subwoofers? Not only for Dj music but for musical band? Kick drum, bass guitar?  What is your opinion?  I would like to get this subs for my band,  I been checking on some other subwoofers that shows good power on the spec sheet (RCF 8004-AS.   QSC KW181. Just to mention some of them)  in some cases they more expensive than the bassboss subwoofers, in some cases they are cheaper, but not a lot of (maybe none) in this price range shows more continuous power than bassboss.

Can this subwoofers be that loud?  Can they really bit other brands like RCF and JBL in this price range?
Remember, i want to use them for the band.

I’ll appreciate any advice on this matter. Thank you.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
Re: Bassboss active subwoofer advice.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 05:21:15 PM »

Hi, I’m considering buying a couple of bassboss 18” powered subwoofers, specifically the model DJ18S, 2500w continuos according to the manufacturer.

Have any worked with this subwoofers? Not only for Dj music but for musical band? Kick drum, bass guitar?  What is your opinion?  I would like to get this subs for my band,  I been checking on some other subwoofers that shows good power on the spec sheet (RCF 8004-AS.   QSC KW181. Just to mention some of them)  in some cases they more expensive than the bassboss subwoofers, in some cases they are cheaper, but not a lot of (maybe none) in this price range shows more continuous power than bassboss.

Can this subwoofers be that loud?  Can they really bit other brands like RCF and JBL in this price range?
Remember, i want to use them for the band.

I’ll appreciate any advice on this matter. Thank you.

I have no experience with the above subs, but a word of advice on shopping by specs.
Electrical power is actually one of the less important ones.
That's because the final volume a sub can produce is based on its efficiency, how well it maintains sound quality when pushed hard, and its power rating.
If possible, look at Maximum SPL figures rather than power ratings, but also take care to check the small print - sometimes these can be calculated* in different ways, so may not be totally comparable between different manufacturers.

* Very few spec sheets are showing actual measured Max SPL these days, as far as I know.

HTH,
David.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 07:55:44 PM »

Max SPL has no meaning without stating the frequency.

That said, i have some 8004's which compare very favourably against d&b and l'acoustics subs. KW181, ETX18, SRX818 etc really don't even come close.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 08:03:00 PM »

* Very few spec sheets are showing actual measured Max SPL these days, as far as I know.

HTH,
David.
Max/peak SPL is something has can several different numbers for the same model number.

Is that "peak" actually a peak in the response (often out of the intended range of usage), or is it a realistic number within the range of usage- and preferably towards the bottom end where they are not as loud.

But nobody provides that information.

Or is it peak SPL at some level of distortion?  nobody does that either.

In the marketing world, it is all about big numbers, no matter whether or not they actually mean anything or are useful.

BTW my car get 100 MPG easily. and I can prove it.  It is not useful, but it can do it.  And it has 300HP.  So it IS a MEASURED spec.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 03:30:04 AM »

FWIW, the BassBoss sub looks like it uses a decent (not the best, but decent) B&C 18" unit, with adequate power. I'd expect good results. Certainly better than the KW181, not sure about the RCF.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Roberto Orozco

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 08:55:27 AM »

Max SPL has no meaning without stating the frequency.

That said, i have some 8004's which compare very favourably against d&b and l'acoustics subs. KW181, ETX18, SRX818 etc really don't even come close.

Thank you Geert! 
Could you tell if you use the 2004’s for a Dj setup or for a band?  I know that probably the best thing to do before buying any kind of speakers is to go out there and listen to those speakers on the actual battle feel, see if you i like what I’m hearing, how they behave etc. I don’t know nobody yet using the bassboss subs that’s why I was asking for users opinions.
I’ve heard a lot of bands playing using the qsc’s And the jbl’s single 18” subs,  I like them! Is not that they sound bad, I was just skeptical about the RMS (2400watts class D amp) power bassboss is selling with this single subwoofer at that price ($2500 per unit).

So you are an RCF8004AS user, you’re saying that QSC KW181 (sub that I’m familiar with) won’t come even close the the 8004!

Well,  that’s something to consider! 

Thank you!

Greg Harwood

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 09:09:24 AM »

I had the pleasure of attending a Bassboss demo a few weeks ago in Atlanta.  I didn't hear the DJ18S, but they did have a pair of their SSP118 subs and they produce massive sound.  I was shocked at the amount of bass coming from them.  They sound full, tight, loud, and dig deep.  I would think the DJ18S would be similar but down on db's.  Their VS21 and SSP218 really dial up the sub bass.  I was very impressed with all the products I heard.  Makes me want to buy some.
Greg H.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 10:27:15 AM »

Thank you Geert! 
Could you tell if you use the 2004’s for a Dj setup or for a band?  I know that probably the best thing to do before buying any kind of speakers is to go out there and listen to those speakers on the actual battle feel, see if you i like what I’m hearing, how they behave etc. I don’t know nobody yet using the bassboss subs that’s why I was asking for users opinions.
I’ve heard a lot of bands playing using the qsc’s And the jbl’s single 18” subs,  I like them! Is not that they sound bad, I was just skeptical about the RMS (2400watts class D amp) power bassboss is selling with this single subwoofer at that price ($2500 per unit).

So you are an RCF8004AS user, you’re saying that QSC KW181 (sub that I’m familiar with) won’t come even close the the 8004!

Well,  that’s something to consider! 

Thank you!

I use them for both DJ and live bands, inside and outside. They sound really fantastic, crossed at 90Hz. No EQ desired nor required. Very good limiting. They produce very dry, defined bass with a lot of authority. My guess is it takes about 2 ETX18's for 1 8004. This is based  on hearing the ETX18 a couple of times in the same room as i ran sound a couple of times, and watching the ETX's display flash with every kick, but not really (or really not) delivering, whilst the 8004's never limit. I tell you: whomever designed that amp should get a nobel prize. Go hear for yourselve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 10:27:15 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.