ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Outboard DSP's. Is there much difference in audio quality between brands?  (Read 10519 times)

Greg Harwood

Re: Outboard DSP's. Is there much difference in audio quality between brands?
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2018, 03:12:52 PM »

Thanks, everyone.

The speakers I am about to purchase are RCF NX 45-A. They are powered and have DSP built in, but no High-Pass filter. (Go figure.) Furthermore, my subs (another brand,) don't have hpf output, forcing me to use an outboard crossover. I do have an older analog crossover, but I really feel the need to upgrade/replace it soon.

The only speaker management function I need is the basic crossover since the speakers already have fairly good DSP protection.

Anyway, the RCF DX 4008 and DX 2006 do not have presets or factory configs built-in for any of their speaker models...(the best I can tell). It looks as if they are simple "dial it in yourself" units like the ones I had listed in my original post.

Thanks for all of the insight.

You and I are in the same boat.  I have a Ashly Protea 3.6sp that does a great job.  I use it for crossover as well as EQ and delay for my tops.  It's a great unit and I like the 3 inputs and 6 outputs...makes aux fed subs easy with my Mixwiz mixer.  I think a digital unit will provide some extra benefits over an analog unit.
Greg H.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2018, 03:15:46 PM »

We have a few outboard DSPs, and have had only one issue with one of them - the dbx Venu360 PSU connector problem (well documented and easily fixed, as pointed out by someone earlier).

For the scenario described, I'd go with the dbx Venu360.

We have the Lake LM44s and the Venu360s. We did an A/B comparison on both of them - same mixer, same powered speakers, same room, same source, flat EQ (no processing). Couldn't tell any difference in sound quality.

The Venu360 costs about 1/5th as much as the LM44 and has a more intuitive user interface (to me). The iPad application is pretty excellent, too. It offers several clocking options, which is nice. Pairs really well with the likes of the X32 and whatnot. The Venu360 won't have profiles for the NX-45A, but you should be able to get some basic crossover/delay/EQ settings saved and easily recalled.

dbx has been running sales on the Venu360 lately, and if you shop around with a few distributors on the board here, you'll get some great pricing.

I should also note... I often hear people say, "Don't use the AutoEQ on dbx" and I long believed in that advice. But then, while we were over at JTR's shop doing some calibration work on our 3TX/OS config, we compared the dbx Venu360 AutoEQ "decision" against what we were measuring with TEF, and they were *nearly* identical. The plots we made with TEF were a bit more granular, but when running A/B comparisons on playback music, they sounded more-or-less the same.

I realize this wasn't scientific by any means, and that everyone's results may differ. Just sharing what we saw/experienced. I think some of the lower quality dbx DSP units may reflect the less than optimal comments, but the newer stuff seems to work pretty well - especially for the MI level.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2018, 11:08:11 AM »

I should also note... I often hear people say, "Don't use the AutoEQ on dbx" and I long believed in that advice. But then, while we were over at JTR's shop doing some calibration work on our 3TX/OS config, we compared the dbx Venu360 AutoEQ "decision" against what we were measuring with TEF, and they were *nearly* identical. The plots we made with TEF were a bit more granular, but when running A/B comparisons on playback music, they sounded more-or-less the same.

The sweep-type AutoEQ functions on the VENU360 and PA2 seem to do a better job than the older Pink Noise based ones on earlier dbx models.  Like the Disk Defragmentation routines of old, subsequent runnings of the Wizard produce finer results.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2018, 02:31:10 PM »

The sweep-type AutoEQ functions on the VENU360 and PA2 seem to do a better job than the older Pink Noise based ones on earlier dbx models.  Like the Disk Defragmentation routines of old, subsequent runnings of the Wizard produce finer results.

Dave

Dave, you do realize that no matter what tones are used, if it cannot differentiate between direct and reflected sound and compare to what went in, it cannot show a good response. Oh, and it is only good for where the mic is. The sound may be horrible a few feet away.

Trained folk use dual channel testers and test from many locations and then decide on the EQ changes to get the best result for the largest part of the audience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2018, 03:18:54 PM »

Thanks, everyone.

The speakers I am about to purchase are RCF NX 45-A. They are powered and have DSP built in, but no High-Pass filter. (Go figure.) Furthermore, my subs (another brand,) don't have hpf output, forcing me to use an outboard crossover. I do have an older analog crossover, but I really feel the need to upgrade/replace it soon.

The only speaker management function I need is the basic crossover since the speakers already have fairly good DSP protection.

Anyway, the RCF DX 4008 and DX 2006 do not have presets or factory configs built-in for any of their speaker models...(the best I can tell). It looks as if they are simple "dial it in yourself" units like the ones I had listed in my original post.

Thanks for all of the insight.

What mixer are you using? Does it have built in crossover functions?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2018, 03:30:43 PM »

Lot's of people today need to learn what a basic crossover will do before they jump into anything with more than one setting to be configured. And most of todays kids still don't understand what cabinets should be producing what tones, then set the high pass filters incorrectly later to complain about the sub that won't reproduce their 200hz sound.

My suggestion to the OP would be to buy the best DSP his money can buy. However, having lived in both the analog and digital world of reality I can reference the sound of yesteryear and compare it to the sound of today. Having said that, DON'T buy an analog crossover.

My vote would be for the dbx 360. It's flexible, well supported, and the difference in sound vs the lower cost crapola is noticeable, in a good way.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 10:43:12 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2018, 03:31:22 PM »

:)
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2018, 05:32:52 PM »

What mixer are you using? Does it have built in crossover functions?
A&H QU-24. Nope, no crossover function in that mixer.
Member since 2005.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2018, 05:34:21 PM »

There is one important thing to keep in mind with crossing subs over to mains.  Usually, the subs are run at a higher level than the mains.  This effectively raises the frequency of the acoustic (not electronic) cross-over point of the subs.  The distance the subs are from the mains in a flown mains/subs on the ground also effects the system and may require some time delay of one of the two systems to optimize the phase response.  This make a digital processor an ideal choice.  That said, an analog crossover might work great if your mains are just setting on top of the subs.  Some analog crossovers have a separate summed mono sub out with its own crossover frequency that is independent of the stereo crossovers.  I know of at least one with a street price of less than $100.00.  It is possible this might work as well as an more expensive digital in your application.  For a bigger more complex system with factory programed processing for specific speakers, definitely use the manufacturers recommended processor! 

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2018, 05:39:23 PM »

Having said that, DON'T buy an analog DSP.

Yup those analog DSPs always have trouble with the "D"....

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2018, 05:39:23 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.