Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > DJ Forum

New tops

(1/2) > >>

ollie johns:
Hi,

I have a pair of mackie thump 15s which I use with a pair of srm 1801 subs but I think it痴 time to move the mackies thumps along for something better.

I知 thinking of either a pair of Martin F12s or ekx12p or etx12p, keeping the subs as is for the moment. I also have a pair of rcf esw 1018s when I need a bit of extra bass.

Can anyone offer any advice on what tops to go with? I知 leaning toward the ev, they are active and they look nicer, but I知 not sure on the sound quality compared to the martins.

Also if I went with ev are etx worth the almost double the ekx?

I壇 be great full for any help, cheers

Jeff Lelko:
Hi Ollie, questions very similar to yours come up on a monthly and nearly weekly basis, and the suspects are always the same.  Questions you'll need to answer - budget, coverage area, volume (SPL).  Unless your needs are vastly unique, have a look at these recent threads:

This week's discussion

Last week's discussion

The week before that

Earlier in August

Beginning of August

July's discussion

As you can see, this sort of topic gets talked here quite frequently and the market just doesn't change that quickly, so more likely than not the advice you need is in the threads above.  If not, at least it'll give you an hour or so of good information and research!  Hope this helps!

Dennis Wiggins:

--- Quote from: ollie johns on September 06, 2018, 04:36:46 PM ---...keeping the subs as is for the moment. I also have a pair of rcf esw 1018s when I need a bit of extra bass.

--- End quote ---

You are on the right track, as most are lacking "subbage" going into it.  I have no advice; just my love for 12" tops over 18" subs.  ;)

Uber*$ top cabs (>$1000/cab) in the DJ world are just not necessary for gigs under 200 peeps (my opinion; other may disagree... ). What is your target audience/venue - bar, wedding, club (whatever that is), outdoor (company picnic), outdoor (festival), dance-floor only, cover an acre or 2 evenly (like a car show)?

Just read what Jeff suggested, then ask away!

-Dennis

*meaning "over", "above" or "across."

Paul G. OBrien:

--- Quote from: ollie johns on September 06, 2018, 04:36:46 PM ---
Can anyone offer any advice on what tops to go with? I知 leaning toward the ev, they are active and they look nicer, but I知 not sure on the sound quality compared to the martins.

Also if I went with ev are etx worth the almost double the ekx?
--- End quote ---

I can't help you with the Martin boxes, never heard them but I'd bet they will need the matching amps and processing to come anywhere close to the performance available from a modern powered box and that will add significantly to the purchase price.
The EKX line is the sweet spot of the EV powered lineup, for ETX money(or less) you can have boxes from other manufacturers that will outclass them by a fair margin. (Yamaha DSR)
Any of these will be a HUGH upgrade from Thumps, no that is not an exaggeration.

Caleb Dueck:
Martin CDD Live are great.  User adjustable DSP, FIR, Dante.  Asymmetric dispersion.  Point source/coax.  They're a step above the usual suspects, the CDD Live 15 over TH118 subs is a great combo. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version