ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: are my monitor wedges tired?  (Read 4119 times)

kel mcguire

are my monitor wedges tired?
« on: September 06, 2018, 12:22:43 PM »

Well, not mine but at a venue I mix for all summer for the past Seven years. Six EV TX1152m, 15" monitors. Probably 300 shows. They've really been outstanding performers. The bands love them. Sure, we've lost a few diaphragms, maybe one or two 15" woofers.

A few of them just sound different, a bit darker, or a bit brighter. That's taking the same speakon with music or voice & mic and testing back to back.

So, Do Xovers change? What might the effect be of an out of phase horn to woofer relationship? I suppose an aftermarket diaphragm might sound different? Would a power amp(that has the same amount of shows) change tone? RMX1850HD amps. DBX 31 EQs.

Ideas?

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: are my monitor wedges tired?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 01:33:35 PM »

A few of them just sound different, a bit darker, or a bit brighter. That's taking the same speakon with music or voice & mic and testing back to back.

1)So, Do Xovers change?
2)What might the effect be of an out of phase horn to woofer relationship?
3)I suppose an aftermarket diaphragm might sound different?
4)Would a power amp(that has the same amount of shows) change tone?
5)Ideas?
Unit to unit variation can easily make even "brand new" units sound different and require an individual correction EQ .

1) They can- resistors can burn, capacitors drift, solder joints can go "cold", or even missed being soldered in the first place.
Aside from crossover variations, speaker surrounds can "dry out", and cones may "soften up" over, changing their response over time.
2) A deep "hole" in the response in the acoustic crossover range.
3) Usually. Gaps also need to be cleaned completely before new diaphragms (whether stock or aftermarket) are installed, and diaphragms must be properly aligned.
4) Not likely, unless using tube (valve) amps.
5) Lable the wedges and use them on the same mixes and stage positions, the corrective EQ needed for each will change little.
If you typically use pairs of wedges, it also helps to "match" their response before numbering.

Art
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:43:08 PM by Art Welter »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 01:41:59 PM »

How much different?  A dB or two, or more? 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 06:09:09 PM »

How much different?  A dB or two, or more? 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

A subtle difference between wedges would be a dB or two. Obvious differences would be >3dB IMO.

FWIW, a venue I used to work at had a big pile of SSE Betamax (EV Deltamax derivatives) which were quite variable in sound quality. Some of them got heavily abused, others had a slightly easier life - the ones at the top of the pile would go out most often, and the ones near the bottom would only get used for larger events. All the Crown MA2401 amps driving them were equally old and abused, but there were definite differences between the wedges.
I suspect cones softening up with age, although I'd also recommend going around and checking all the screws are torqued up correctly as routine maintenance.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 09:40:03 PM »

We have 16 EV xW15 and after 10 years or so they all started sounding different.  In the end we decided to replace every HF diaphragm with brand new EV parts (from the same production batch, too!).  Before you go this far you might want to do a deep cleaning of your HF drivers.  Remove them from the horns, remove the back cap and then remove the diaphragm.  Take a really good look through the phase plug and in the VC gap (bright lights time) and inspect the debris screen (uh, it does have the screen, right?) at the driver exit.  You'll probably go "yuck" at least once.  Trust me.  Clean it out, clean it up.

Inspect the diaphragm and voice coil, reject any with physical damage, clean as needed.  Check DC resistance, should be fairly close to published spec.  Mark the drivers and diaphragms as you go, log the resistance and you can deal with the outliers later.  Reassemble, sine-wave sweep to check for rubs and rattles.  Install compression cap and mount to horn.

After we did the HF, we gave a good listen to the LF and decided to re-cone all the 15s.  And we almost did that but ended up replacing them as the cost of new, delivered to our door was only $50 more, ea. than paying for the cone service and freight 2 ways.

We cleaned up and repainted the grilles.  For about half the cost of buying xw15A, we have xW15A and they all sound the same.  :D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:43:38 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 12:02:30 AM »

>>, solder joints can go "cold", or even missed being soldered in the first place.<<
Small pedantic rant.  I hate the term "cold solder".  There's no such thing.  Unless you're dealing with a solder pot, all solder is cold.  And they certainly can not "go cold".

The term derives from a dewetted or non-wetted condition resulting from insufficient thermal energy (heat).  There's no way to create a solder joint coldly.  Compression bonding is not soldering.  By definition soldering is the joining of two metals by wetting a low temperature metal between them.  Brazing is joining with a higher temperature metal but still with a lower melting point than the base metals.  Welding is a fusion of the two metal parts above their melting points.

Having done countless solder joint reliability and extended life tests a solder joint can fracture from a number of causes.  Fatigue from stress, either from differential thermal expansion and contraction, vibration or slow cycle steady state stress.  Diffusion of elements into different intermetallic compounds.  The net result from these is a partial or full fracture.  A full fracture will create issues when the fractured surfaces oxidize and become poor contacts with each other.  Until then, unless you pass so much current that a partial fracture behaves like a fuse, you have a completed circuit.  I have fought for years with so called "failure analysis engineers" who chalk an electronically non-functional unit to an "insufficient" solder joint.  Show me on a TDR plot where that joint is and how it caused the failure.  Outside of high power pole top radios, I've never seen a few square microns of cross sectional area difference in a solder joint create failures.  Even in RF test equipment.

So,  a solder joint can be de-wetted - meaning the solder hasn't completely stuck to the surfaces.  Non-wetted, meaning that it didn't stick at all.  Not soldered at all, as Art mentions.  Typically referred to as a "skip".  More commonly occurring in wave soldering or a sloppy shop that forgets to solder every connection.  Occasionally in an SMT connection when the solder paste wasn't deposited on the termination (a printing skip).  It can be overheated, leading to a grainy and easily fractured joint.  Disturbed during solidification with a similar result.  And finally, a fracture.  Ranging from a superficial crack to a completely broken joint and open circuit.

We now return you to your likely fatigued cones and diaphragms. 

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 09:47:01 AM »

Small pedantic rant.  I hate the term "cold solder".  There's no such thing.  Unless you're dealing with a solder pot, all solder is cold.  And they certainly can not "go cold".

The term derives from a dewetted or non-wetted condition resulting from insufficient thermal energy (heat).  There's no way to create a solder joint coldly.  Compression bonding is not soldering.  By definition soldering is the joining of two metals by wetting a low temperature metal between them.  Brazing is joining with a higher temperature metal but still with a lower melting point than the base metals.  Welding is a fusion of the two metal parts above their melting points.

Having done countless solder joint reliability and extended life tests a solder joint can fracture from a number of causes.  Fatigue from stress, either from differential thermal expansion and contraction, vibration or slow cycle steady state stress.  Diffusion of elements into different intermetallic compounds.  The net result from these is a partial or full fracture.  A full fracture will create issues when the fractured surfaces oxidize and become poor contacts with each other.  Until then, unless you pass so much current that a partial fracture behaves like a fuse, you have a completed circuit.  I have fought for years with so called "failure analysis engineers" who chalk an electronically non-functional unit to an "insufficient" solder joint.  Show me on a TDR plot where that joint is and how it caused the failure.  Outside of high power pole top radios, I've never seen a few square microns of cross sectional area difference in a solder joint create failures.  Even in RF test equipment.

So,  a solder joint can be de-wetted - meaning the solder hasn't completely stuck to the surfaces.  Non-wetted, meaning that it didn't stick at all.  Not soldered at all, as Art mentions.  Typically referred to as a "skip".  More commonly occurring in wave soldering or a sloppy shop that forgets to solder every connection.  Occasionally in an SMT connection when the solder paste wasn't deposited on the termination (a printing skip).  It can be overheated, leading to a grainy and easily fractured joint.  Disturbed during solidification with a similar result.  And finally, a fracture.  Ranging from a superficial crack to a completely broken joint and open circuit.

We now return you to your likely fatigued cones and diaphragms.
An odd pedantic complaint... Indeed solder joints can't "go" cold over time, but can be marginal cold from the start, and then whatever minimal solder attachment was present fatigues and breaks over time causing the insufficient joint to fail open circuit.
----
Over time a solder joint can be overheated, possible with passive crossover resistors dissipating a lot of heat. I have also seen this on 3 terminal regulators run without heatsinks that run hot as a firecracker but don't fail and eventually degrade their solder joint integrity.

[/pedantry]

Bad solder is unlikely to cause a subtle sonic difference.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 01:03:49 PM »

JR,

A bad (open) solder joint in a series component could cause an obvious lack of the LF or HF driver, but joint failure of parallel components can be pretty subtle.
For instance, a failed Zobel circuit could result in a single very narrow band change, or an open joint on a HF bypass capacitor could reduce HF gain at 16 kHz by only 3-6 dB, resulting in about the same effect as a layer of dust on the HF bug-screen.
Compared to a 10 dB spike at 4kHz caused by a performer wearing a ball cap, those changes can seem pretty trivial ;^).

Art

kel mcguire

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 04:10:03 PM »

Thanks for all the ideas. I hadn't thought of some of those. Things to check after the series is over, which is tomorrow, Perhaps some new diaphragms, and input plates need to be ordered. Or maybe I mark the darker/lighter sounding wedges for next season.

Some seem up or down in brightness by 2-4dB but I don't know which ones have aftermarket parts in the DH3 drivers.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 12:26:43 AM »

An odd pedantic complaint... Indeed solder joints can't "go" cold over time, but can be marginal cold from the start, and then whatever minimal solder attachment was present fatigues and breaks over time causing the insufficient joint to fail open circuit.
----
Over time a solder joint can be overheated, possible with passive crossover resistors dissipating a lot of heat. I have also seen this on 3 terminal regulators run without heatsinks that run hot as a firecracker but don't fail and eventually degrade their solder joint integrity.

[/pedantry]

JR
The point is that there's no such thing as "cold" in the first place.  Marginal cold or otherwise.  The term means nothing to a manufacturing engineer or a metallurgist.  By overheated I was referring to excess heat during the soldering.  This leaves a large grain structure that's easily fractured.  It looks like a piece of metal that's been bent back and forth and is about to crack.  Long term heating will cause a lesser degree of this but has more effect at the boundaries of the solder and termination where the metal gets brittle for metallurgical reasons.  Contaminated or oxidized terminations will cause various degrees of dewetting.  The closest you can get to "cold" would be a non-wetted joint where either things were too contaminated to wet at all or there wasn't sufficient thermal energy (time and or temperature) to get things to wet.  Typically one surface is less contaminated than the other so if it wets one but not the other it's a contamination issue, if neither wets then the process didn't have enough heat.

For people in the soldering industry, the term "cold solder" is roughly equivalent to "Can I get my mike to sound more lively?".   ;D

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 10:58:39 AM »

The point is that there's no such thing as "cold" in the first place.  Marginal cold or otherwise.  The term means nothing to a manufacturing engineer or a metallurgist.  By overheated I was referring to excess heat during the soldering.  This leaves a large grain structure that's easily fractured.  It looks like a piece of metal that's been bent back and forth and is about to crack.  Long term heating will cause a lesser degree of this but has more effect at the boundaries of the solder and termination where the metal gets brittle for metallurgical reasons.  Contaminated or oxidized terminations will cause various degrees of dewetting.  The closest you can get to "cold" would be a non-wetted joint where either things were too contaminated to wet at all or there wasn't sufficient thermal energy (time and or temperature) to get things to wet.  Typically one surface is less contaminated than the other so if it wets one but not the other it's a contamination issue, if neither wets then the process didn't have enough heat.

For people in the soldering industry, the term "cold solder" is roughly equivalent to "Can I get my mike to sound more lively?".   ;D

I have been using the term “Cold solder joint” for a long time. I can see that technically that is incorrect. What would be a term that we could use without getting into proper analysis of what actually went wrong with the solder joint. How about “A bad solder joint”? Or a “Naughty solder joint” I’m sorry I couldn’t resist an attempt at a joke. But what do we call a solder joint that is no longer working properly, and usually re-soldering the joint fixes the problem. I have found a lot of equipment that fails after time and is fixed when you find the bad solder joint and fix it. A friend who has been a TV repairman for a long time has said that a majority of the fixes for TVs are solder joints.     

But from the description of the O.P. problem I would lean towards thinking that a good cleaning of the horns might fix a lot of his problems.

Bu this discussion got me thinking of all of the other terms that are improperly used in sound, like tuning a room. Should we start another thread where people can list the ones they feel are wrong.

Richard Turner

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 09:50:39 AM »

What does the crossover schematic look like? are there resistors or capacitors in parallel pairs in circuit? if there are that would be one place to check. a halving of capacitance or resistance would cause a tone shift EV uses good components but they aren't immune to being burned up. 300 shows 1500 hours doesn't seem excessive use.

IIRC they have a ceramic potted resistor in the HF section.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 06:37:19 PM »

I have been using the term “Cold solder joint” for a long time. I can see that technically that is incorrect. What would be a term that we could use without getting into proper analysis of what actually went wrong with the solder joint. How about “A bad solder joint”? Or a “Naughty solder joint” I’m sorry I couldn’t resist an attempt at a joke. But what do we call a solder joint that is no longer working properly, and usually re-soldering the joint fixes the problem. I have found a lot of equipment that fails after time and is fixed when you find the bad solder joint and fix it. A friend who has been a TV repairman for a long time has said that a majority of the fixes for TVs are solder joints.     

But from the description of the O.P. problem I would lean towards thinking that a good cleaning of the horns might fix a lot of his problems.

Bu this discussion got me thinking of all of the other terms that are improperly used in sound, like tuning a room. Should we start another thread where people can list the ones they feel are wrong.
If the solderjoint was good to begin with, and now fails conductivity, most likely it is cracked or fractured.  A touch of flux and reflowing it will usually restore operation.  Wicking or sucking off the solder and re-soldering with fresh solder it is better.  Reheating the same bit of metal increases the grain size on solidification, making it more prone to fatigue and subsequent failure.

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 03:10:11 PM »

If the solderjoint was good to begin with, and now fails conductivity, most likely it is cracked or fractured.  A touch of flux and reflowing it will usually restore operation.  Wicking or sucking off the solder and re-soldering with fresh solder it is better.  Reheating the same bit of metal increases the grain size on solidification, making it more prone to fatigue and subsequent failure.

When I say fix the solder joint I don’t heat up the joint without new solder. I use a very thin solder and am basically using a solder wetted iron and feeding new solder in while heating it up. And because I use such a thin solder I am not just globing on a bunch more solder.  Too much heat is required to melt the existing solder without doing this. I think people use the term cold solder joint because it seems like if you solder a connection without heating the 2 parts enough (cold) you might get the solder to flow enough to make an electrical contact but it usually doesn’t last very long. Is this because it is barely making contact and then it “easily fractures”?

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 04:39:15 PM »

When I say fix the solder joint I don’t heat up the joint without new solder. I use a very thin solder and am basically using a solder wetted iron and feeding new solder in while heating it up. And because I use such a thin solder I am not just globing on a bunch more solder.  Too much heat is required to melt the existing solder without doing this. I think people use the term cold solder joint because it seems like if you solder a connection without heating the 2 parts enough (cold) you might get the solder to flow enough to make an electrical contact but it usually doesn’t last very long. Is this because it is barely making contact and then it “easily fractures”?
Kevin, when people don't provide enough thermal input and just melt a glob of solder into the area of a termination it doesn't "wet".  Like the old wax and water drops on a hood.  It gets into some complications of metallurgy and the physics of solidification of molten metals but basically when solder "wets", and gives a smooth contour, metals within the solder alloy with metals in the terminals in a thin layer between the two.  In a partially wetted joint, this layer isn't fully formed and the solder doesn't really "stick".  As you say, these connections are easily broken and unreliable.  A basic industry standard is that the angle formed from the solder and the termination surface should be less than 90 degrees.  Typically it is very shallow.  The 90 degree standard in IPC-610 comes from a diagram I made for military standards back in the '80s in the specific instance of wave soldering SMT resistors.  The dynamics of which tends to lump solder into that specific geometry.  More than 90 degrees and you don't know if it's wetted, so this was an acceptable compromise to the folks in the Naval Weapons Center who were writing the specs.

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 05:13:44 PM »

Kevin, when people don't provide enough thermal input and just melt a glob of solder into the area of a termination it doesn't "wet".  Like the old wax and water drops on a hood.  It gets into some complications of metallurgy and the physics of solidification of molten metals but basically when solder "wets", and gives a smooth contour, metals within the solder alloy with metals in the terminals in a thin layer between the two.  In a partially wetted joint, this layer isn't fully formed and the solder doesn't really "stick".  As you say, these connections are easily broken and unreliable.  A basic industry standard is that the angle formed from the solder and the termination surface should be less than 90 degrees.  Typically it is very shallow.  The 90 degree standard in IPC-610 comes from a diagram I made for military standards back in the '80s in the specific instance of wave soldering SMT resistors.  The dynamics of which tends to lump solder into that specific geometry.  More than 90 degrees and you don't know if it's wetted, so this was an acceptable compromise to the folks in the Naval Weapons Center who were writing the specs.

I was taught when soldering you are trying to get both components up to the same temperature and then flow the solder between them. This was especially painful when trying to hold a wire in place and not move it till the solder solidified when soldering some cables onto XLR connectors. The jacket on the individual wires wasn't thick enough to not transmit the heat. I tried to hold it back far enough so it wouldn’t get as hot back there. I just the other day was fixing a snake for a friends church and I couldn’t hold the wire back far enough to avoid the heat. It was a cheap snake that was built by the manufacturer with all press on junctions, no solder. Two of the chassis mounted type of XLRs physically broke off of their housing. I say type because they were just slipped into an extruded housing not fastened down in any way.

I would like to hear what the OP eventually finds as the cause of the monitors not sounding as good anymore. 

Wes Garland

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 03:02:31 AM »

This sounds counter-intuitive, Kevin, but I think you're either using an iron that isn't powerful enough, or has a dirty tip.  Soldering a connector like that should only take a second, not enough time to heat up the wire any distance from the termination like that.

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 11:18:18 AM »

This sounds counter-intuitive, Kevin, but I think you're either using an iron that isn't powerful enough, or has a dirty tip.  Soldering a connector like that should only take a second, not enough time to heat up the wire any distance from the termination like that.

Neither or those things. I was tough by NASA certified solderers. 

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 12:17:30 PM »

Are you saying that soldering IS rocket science!? :o
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 12:34:55 PM »

Neither or those things. I was tough by NASA certified solderers.

As was I.  A friendly neighbor worked at Rocketdyne (his wife worked with my mom) and he taught me to solder well.

Are you saying that soldering IS rocket science!? :o

It's "rocket surgery". ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 12:54:35 PM »

As was I.  A friendly neighbor worked at Rocketdyne (his wife worked with my mom) and he taught me to solder well.

It's "rocket surgery". ;)
My Fathers company made (among other things) control panels used in oil refineries and nuclear power plants. He gave me a soldering iron and a couple of kits from Rat Shack when I was in elementary school. I learned real early which end of the pencil to hold.........
And those Weller guns?
Ya, not in our house.
I bought one when I started in PA. Not for soldering, but for cutting nylon rope, and sealing the ends.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 12:54:35 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.