ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Short Rant-display name requirement.  (Read 8694 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Short Rant-display name requirement.
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2018, 09:35:52 PM »

My dad was a high school algebra teacher and used it to drill into me how to solve problems.  I don't use the algebra as much as I use the thought process to get to the root of a problem.

One cool app I have found is called "Inventioneers"- about 360 increasingly difficult puzzles along the lines of the old "Mousetrap" game.  Its amazing in that my 5 yr old grandson has enjoyed it for 2 yrs- and yet some of the puzzles challenge his grandpa.  Best $5 I've spent in a long time- think the lite version is free.  I've wondered if it would be a valid training tool.
Steve Swaffer

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2018, 09:59:41 PM »

This is gonna sound weird but...

One of the things i've noticed that i do in problem solving is i find myself trying to put myself in the mind of the engineer or system designer.  I tend to study the parts of the device or system that are working and that i CAN understand in order to help me wrap my head around a failure that i DON'T understand. 

I'm not exactly sure how to really explain what i'm talking about but...  I wrench on an old Volvo 240, which is classic swedish engineering.  When i first started working on it, i really struggled as i am an old Detroit muscle wrench turner, and so much of what i was coming upon was inexplicable to me.  But gradually i began to internalize the "swedishness" of the car and pretty soon i could guess how to take something apart or what might be causing a failure or whatever, even if it was a part of the car i'd never even explored before.

I can't really put a finger on exactly what i'm talking about, but i use it all the time.  Japanese audio and music technology products have a certain design mindset that i've grown very familiar with.  If it's a Roland, or a Yamaha, or whatever, i kinda already know how it works, how to get around on it, and how to fix it when it's broken, whether i actually know what i'm doing or not.  Same with a lot of the USA based companies and the UK based companies.  They just all tend to look at problems and solve them in very similar ways.  Getting my brain inside their brain has always gone a long way towards fixing things, especially when i don't really know what i'm doing.

This also applies in software and GUI and UI and on and on.  If i'm working on Network stuff, i put on my Cisco brain.  If it's Comms, i break out my ClearCom or RTS or REIDEL brain.  and on and on.  I'm not sure if this sounds familiar to anyone else, but i thought i'd share...

****  WOW are we OFF TOPIC!!!!!!   ;D ****
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2018, 03:11:26 PM »

I think problem solving basically boils down to a single concept:

Figuring out the conditions that led to the observed situation.

Sure, replacing an obviously broken part is one part of problem solving, but you still have to work backwards:

4. It's not working. What could cause this problem? Oh, the framistat broke into three pieces.
3. What conditions could cause the framistat to break? Overheating. Maybe the mindexer wasn't spinning at the optimal speed.
2. Why wasn't the mindexer spinning properly? Oh, it has a failing bearing.
1. Why did the bearing fail? The seal wore, allowing dust to enter.

So many people will only address the last point of failure, without looking at the entire picture. Maybe sourcing a better quality bearing, or preemtively replacing it as scheduled maintenance, will extend the life of the framistat. And looking at the entire picture requires some understanding of how the whole system works.

I once had to restore a Microsoft Exchange mailbox database due to a failing disk drive, but the backups were not properly managed (not my fault). The only good backup was several months old. There were complete transaction logs files spanning from that backup to the current time, but the most recent log file was corrupted. That meant that the recent log file could not be restored, which caused the backup to fail and the restored database to be unmountable. Using a hex editor, I was able to modify the transaction log index file to specify a different ending log file and restore the database to a very recent state.

Now, conventional wisdom is that with that scenario, the database couldn't be properly restored. But, by understanding how things work in a big picture/under-the-hood way, I was able to "break the rules" and provide the customer with an acceptable fix.

But, even though I recovered the data, the problem wasn't actually solved. Only the symptom was addressed. Disks had to be replaced, and backup procedures needed to be corrected before the problem could really be considered "solved."
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2018, 03:11:26 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.