ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Short Rant-display name requirement.  (Read 8693 times)

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
Re: Short Rant-display name requirement.
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 09:36:19 PM »

I have noticed recently more and more folks joining this forum after having not read the requirements to do so (not using real name as display name etc), yet then getting quite 'uppity' when this is pointed out.
When this occurs, they are offered more courtesy than they perhaps deserve which is a testament to the good folks here who have no other agenda than to offer advice and support to those asking.
They also get a few 'sneaked in' answers to their problem before they make the correction.
Regardless of whether anyone agrees with the requirement or not, it is the rule to join and that is that. There should be no argument or attitude.
Is it something in the water these days???

Just saying'......
Agreed. I couldn’t help my self on that last one where the person changed the name to something meant to insult... Enough already.

With all the really valuable knowledge present on this forum, and from my own perspective, all the great help I’ve been fortunate enough to get here, it’s hard for me to understand why someone would cop an attitude like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 09:38:30 PM »

Are you suggesting we be meaner Debbie?

Well... kinda. Sometimes I am quite shocked at how these guys act and the attacks made on some members. Most of the responses are very polite and forgiving........ considering.....

I am not in any way suggesting that every poster who neglects the real name rule should be berated - not at all - BUT if they get all pissy when it is pointed out then they should be called out for it...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 09:39:12 PM »

Agreed. I couldn’t help my self on that last one where the person changed the name to something meant to insult... Enough already.

With all the really valuable knowledge present on this forum, and from my own perspective, all the great help I’ve been fortunate enough to get here, it’s hard for me to understand why someone would cop an attitude like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that one was pretty insulting....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 10:28:39 PM »

Well... kinda. Sometimes I am quite shocked at how these guys act and the attacks made on some members. Most of the responses are very polite and forgiving........ considering.....

I am not in any way suggesting that every poster who neglects the real name rule should be berated - not at all - BUT if they get all pissy when it is pointed out then they should be called out for it...

I've always thought that we are all much too kind with our responses to people who sign up and post with fictitious names. If I were a mod I would have much more fun deleting the post and sending a boiler plate email stating;

"Your post has been deleted for not following the forum rules. Please change your forum name to your real name as required by our rules. A second offense will result in your account being deleted, and all of your friends will be told you are still an asshole incapable of following the most simplistic direction."
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 10:44:44 PM »

I've always thought that we are all much too kind with our responses to people who sign up and post with fictitious names. If I were a mod I would have much more fun deleting the post and sending a boiler plate email stating;

"Your post has been deleted for not following the forum rules. Please change your forum name to your real name as required by our rules. A second offense will result in your account being deleted, and all of your friends will be told you are still an asshole incapable of following the most simplistic direction."

We leave out the asshole part, and it take 3 warnings, but there warnings sent to violators as PMs when they are noticed, then again a few days later, and few days after that they get a 3rd warning telling them their post has been deleted.

Mac

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 12:54:10 AM »

I strongly suspect that some of the folks with an attitude are "merely" trolls. I'm getting to be able to recognize the style of certain repeat offenders. May they reap what they sow....

Edited to soften my uncharitable sentiments.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:01:20 AM by Mark Cadwallader »
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 10:31:12 AM »

We leave out the asshole part, and it take 3 warnings, but there warnings sent to violators as PMs when they are noticed, then again a few days later, and few days after that they get a 3rd warning telling them their post has been deleted.
Mac

And perennial thanks to you and the other mods for doing this.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2018, 11:08:38 AM »

And perennial thanks to you and the other mods for doing this.

I agree - props to the mods for all they do in keeping this forum the best there is.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2018, 11:33:02 AM »

For a time 80% of my work was as the on sight Technical Producer Director of corporate conferences all over the USA for one client. I used to recommend people for audio work from seeing how they handled themselves on this forum. And I could gauge there abilities from the kind of questions that they asked and answered. I wonder if people know how they come across online can affect their employment. I even recommended someone from this forum to take my place as the FOH mixer for a concert (of 60’s bands that had major hits) that was also a video shoot (one of the first HD shoots) since I had a scheduling conflict. I did the preshow and sight survey work first. And then found my replacement. It also helped that I ran into him (first time that we meet) at Eight Day sound on the site survey and they were the sound company we hired to do the show. He was being shown one of the Digico consoles at the time by an employee there.

Stephen Beatty

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 11:54:32 AM »

After 40 years of working in the highest levels of academic wonderfulness I have found that no one reads any printed instructions no matter where, how the are set out ( be it taped to the wall or a webpage) and how big they are.
 When you have senior faculty who take written notes on how to work the really well laid-out and easy to use Crestron touchpanels well you wonder and wonder some more.

Them writing:...." Touch panel", select "DVD". Them :Is that right?

Me: Yes see the button on the panel that says quite freaking clearly "DVD"

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 11:54:32 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.