ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Amateur stuck scratching his head  (Read 4422 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Amateur stuck scratching his head
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 12:17:43 PM »

I think you upset him, and he's gone. :(
Sheesh, even the meanest of US are nicer than the trolls on other forums.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 12:36:50 PM »

Sheesh, even the meanest of US are nicer than the trolls on other forums.

You wern't here in the days of Dave, Doug, Andy and Turbo..........
Sometimes the anvil of truth really leaves a mark....
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 01:37:08 PM »

Chris.
It's a good thing those days are gone.  The world is hostile enough.  There's no need to coddle, but there's no need to unnecessarily be an a-hole either.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 09:20:00 PM »

Chris.

Doug is a moderator here at PSW and Turbo went to Goat Heaven about 10 years ago.  I haven't kept up with Dave since he quit the A Barking Dog blog a few years back.  IIRC he was getting deeper into competitive go-cart racing (what a sport for old men, oy).  Andy largely retired from live audio a couple years ago.

I fondly recall the Anvil of Reality.  Generally not mean-spirited but not coddling, either, more like a tough love lecture from your stern Dutch Uncle.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 09:53:19 PM »

And dont forget Michael. I liked him.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 10:02:41 PM »

And dont forget Michael. I liked him.

Thank you!  I was having a brain cramp trying to remember his name.

Also from the Original Live-Audio.com era was Abdul EQ.  His camel was poking under our tent before the first big transition to what became PSW.

And from the transition era - The Old Soundman.  His columns are re-runs as he's been MIA for a Really Long Time.  His identity is known to but a few and in either persona he's not been heard from several years.

Ah, this jog down memory lane must have burned a least 2 calories.  ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 10:36:08 PM »

Thank you!  I was having a brain cramp trying to remember his name.

Also from the Original Live-Audio.com era was Abdul EQ.  His camel was poking under our tent before the first big transition to what became PSW.

And from the transition era - The Old Soundman.  His columns are re-runs as he's been MIA for a Really Long Time.  His identity is known to but a few and in either persona he's not been heard from several years.

Ah, this jog down memory lane must have burned a least 2 calories.  ;)
Agreed. Are there archives of the old forums anywhere? Man, there was some great discussion and it would be fun to read some of those old threads especially before the days of digital. Just for fun.....like watching reruns of Gilligans Island.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 12:08:08 AM »

You could just connect each speaker to each of the 4 outputs. If the listed specs are correct (300w @ 8 ohms, 550w @ 4 ohms) then you have the potential to overdrive your speakers if you crank the volume level. You will hear the speakers start to complain and distort as they reach their limits and if you stay within their capabilities you should be okay. A safer way to connect them would be to series wire 2 speakers to one output, and series wire another pair to another output. That drops the voltage seen by the speakers in half, the power by a 1/4. That will give you 75 w to each speaker, within their listed limits. That assumes that that receiver puts out 300 w @ 8 ohms as listed. I'm guessing it is most likely half of that. Try it series wired and if that doesn't give you enough output, then go to 1 speaker to each output and try that.
The OP likely fled in terror but in case anyone is watching, series wiring has it's risks.  If you blow a speaker or any of the cables/connectors fail, you have an open circuit.  I don't know how good the protection in that Pyle is but in this situation people are likely to just turn things up to compensate for the missing channel and drive the amp into an open circuit for extended periods.

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2018, 12:30:10 AM »

The OP likely fled in terror but in case anyone is watching, series wiring has it's risks.  If you blow a speaker or any of the cables/connectors fail, you have an open circuit.  I don't know how good the protection in that Pyle is but in this situation people are likely to just turn things up to compensate for the missing channel and drive the amp into an open circuit for extended periods.

While not good on an old tube amp, what's the problem with an open circuit on a solid state amp? They love infinite resistance loads. Series wiring also only blows 1 speaker when overdriven saving you the other. Parallel wiring would blow both of them under the same conditions.

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 02:10:57 AM »

You mean apart from every speaker on that chain going silent?
While not good on an old tube amp, what's the problem with an open circuit on a solid state amp? They love infinite resistance loads. Series wiring also only blows 1 speaker when overdriven saving you the other. Parallel wiring would blow both of them under the same conditions.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 02:10:57 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.