ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: How to stop losing stuff  (Read 5884 times)

Steve Garris

Re: How to stop losing stuff
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 12:25:09 PM »

Eg, if you have a lighting tree with 4 pars on it, you can leave the pars on the bar with cables attached and case the whole thing.  Now instead of 20 bits (cables, lights clamps etc) to track, you have 1.

Yeah, it may not pack as compact that way, but load out can be faster and you don't have as many pieces to count.

And you can pack it in a $50 keyboard bag - that's exactly what I do.

Steve Garris

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 12:29:25 PM »

The #1 thing I seem to loose is my gaff tape.

I do the white label with my initials and cable length on mic and power cables. I rarely loose them. I've left a mic stand or two behind, but at the places I work it's always there when I go back for it. I guess I'm lucky.

I had a guy unscrew one of my mic clips at my summer concert series this year. He was sure it was his, so I just let it go.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 12:34:15 PM »

All my xlr cables are blue.  No question of ownership!
I had stickers made with my logo which go on EVERY piece of hardware.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 01:18:10 PM »

Most of the events we do have multiple bands performing.  To manage our own cables, gear, etc... we have everything taped/marked. 

But more importantly (which has helped immensely), we communicate directly with the scheduled bands (as well as the event producers/organizers), that all bands are to bring only their personal cables they need to connect their instruments to their own amps or into our DI boxes (which most always involves 1/4" cables).   All XLR cables, DI boxes, jumpers, etc... belong to us.  No band is to bring anything other than their own instrument, own amplifier and their personal cable(s) to connect to their own amplifier or into our DI boxes.  For stage amps, we provide the XLR connection between the snake and the instrument amps.

By doing this, we know that all cables on stage belong to us.  Some bands have commented that it was "nice to just unplug and walk away" when they were finished.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 01:20:10 PM »

I generally end up with more stuff than I lose. Musicians have left behind patch cables, guitar stands, capo's, tambourines, IEC (most common), etc. No Les Paul's or Nord's though.
I do lose the odd roll of tape, sharpie's and occasional mic clip.
Most of the guys I deal with are pretty honest, but you do find the occasional oddball.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 02:13:04 PM »

In the 15+ years I have been doing this I have only lost 8 microphones........ Pretty certain they were liberated from me........

I am probably too anal about my stuff? I have NEVER lost a cable or other devices that wasn't stolen. My trick is easy to implement.

I HATE the cable ties that are permanently connected to the cable.......with a passion. As convenient as it is, they are also a nuisance. So what I do is simple. I remove the cable tie from the cable and throw it back in the respective cable box it came out of. At the end of the night, I wrap everything back up and then tie wrap it all and put it back in the respective case. If I have an extra tie wrap, there is a cable of mine out there somewhere.

I have all my cables separated into specific pelican type cases. I have 7 different cases that are impossible to mix up. I have an A and a B set of 25' cables with the same number in each case. I have a case filled with 15', 10', 3' and 2' XLR patch cables along with specialty adaptors like TRS-XLR M&F as well as 1/4' guitar cables and TRS-TRS. I make it easy by having 6 of each type. I have another case with only 50' XLR in it, a case with all my DI's and adaptors ( RCA, 1/8"-1/4" etc. ), and another for my microphones. The last case is my power case, and it has all my IEC & Power-con connectors for respective speakers along with cube taps and a quad of 15' A/C cables and an outlet tester. A complete grunion can run my rig and at the very least put everything back in the case it came out of.

Needless to say, I have never lost a cable. Simply because I have a two-step inventory process. If a cable leaves the case, its tie wrap is left in the case it came out of. At the end of the night, I now have an inventory check for all my cables. I have 1 tie for every cable and all ties must be re-wrapped on a cable before I leave. My DI case has a hole for each DI. An empty hole means there is a DI somewhere. I know what my count for each cable box is, so I count the cables as I put them away to be certain the numbers are correct.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 02:20:32 PM »

You copied my color too Jay  ;)
Thats funny.  I too use yellow.

Thinking about ditching the tape idea and going with yellow cable ties pulled tight and trimmed on each end near connector.
https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Fluorescent-Yellow-Miniature-Nylon/dp/B004FUYZFC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1535739688&sr=8-5&keywords=yellow+cable+ties

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 04:01:41 PM »

From a venue point of view, I'll tell you this much: If your contact info isn't on it, you are 99.99% certain not to get it back.

If something is found after a show and it has contact info, I will use that contact info. Sometimes it's not worth the shipping and/or trouble to return the item, but at least everyone knows the outcome.

As a provider, I'll admit that I excessively label my gear just for this reason. If I leave something behind and I had not given anyone else the info they needed on the item so that could contact me, then I don't need it back anyway.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Roland Clarke

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 04:37:16 PM »

I always do an idiot check and I know exactly what kit I’m carrying.  I only use quality km mic stands so no chance of being mixed up with a bands own.  I will lend a lead for a keyboard or guitarist, but me or a crew member is on-stage virtually before they have finished playing and those things are retrieved and back to their home before a band strikes.  In the case of multiple bands, someone from my side is on stage to “help” them strike and remove microphones, from toms, DI boxes etc.  A glance at our drop snakes tells us if anything there gets touched.

35 years of live Sound and I’ve lost less than 5 xlr’s and a D112 that was acquired by someone on a gig.

When I have other companies supplying the kit, I’m religious about making sure stuff goes back exactly where it came from. 

At any level in this business, loosing kit not only effects bottom line, but can be aggravation sorting out replacement

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 05:25:50 PM »

The only thing I ever "lost" was a 57. VP at a corporate event is (thinks he is) a conga player and wanted to sit in with the band... Arranged ahead of time and so on.

He struck after the 2nd set and took the 57 with him. I called him numerous times and he never replied.

I mean really? The guy made well into 6 figures. I finally had to buy a replacement.

All our gear is cased. Light trees both go in a hard case, as do the uplights in back of the band. The truck is only packed one way.

All electronics (ipads, ASUS Slate, PC) go into a special case.

We don't let anyone "help" us - takes too long, it's too hectic, and our insurance only covers the band and designated crew.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 05:25:50 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.