ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Experiences with the Work Pro Lightshark console?  (Read 7050 times)

Eleanor Saitta

Experiences with the Work Pro Lightshark console?
« on: August 20, 2018, 09:54:23 AM »

Has anyone here gotten to spend some time with the Work Pro Lightshark LS-1?  I'm looking at upgrading from a Cuety LP-1 to something more like a proper console, and it looks like a reasonable bridge option, but I haven't seen a ton of hands-on experiences out there.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Experiences with the Work Pro Lightshark console?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 12:33:13 PM »

Hi Eleanor,

I'll start with the disclaimer that I've not seen nor used this board, but it appears to have some degree of correlation to Blizzard Lighting - a budget and often "good enough" brand in terms of quality and performance.  It looks like a member cross-pollinated your topic to another forum seen here, so you might want to keep on eye on that site for some answers too.

To give bit more useful advice, what drives your need for a larger controller?  I don't think I'd consider what you're looking at to be a proper console by any stretch - is that really what you're looking for?  If not, for similar money you could do a MagicQ PC or M-PC setup with wings, maybe an ETC ColorSource, or possibly one of the other entry-level "real" hardware boards.  If what you're looking at is anything like rack mixers, you'd have to get comfortable with relying on tablets to some degree - not something you usually want to trend towards if you have legitimate need for a proper desk.  Hope this helps!

Eleanor Saitta

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 01:48:02 PM »

To give bit more useful advice, what drives your need for a larger controller?  I don't think I'd consider what you're looking at to be a proper console by any stretch - is that really what you're looking for?  If not, for similar money you could do a MagicQ PC or M-PC setup with wings, maybe an ETC ColorSource, or possibly one of the other entry-level "real" hardware boards.  If what you're looking at is anything like rack mixers, you'd have to get comfortable with relying on tablets to some degree - not something you usually want to trend towards if you have legitimate need for a proper desk.

For now, what I'm looking for is something that can live on its own, ideally without needing a dedicated PC to drive it, while still giving me more flexibility around direct control.  I'm currently (and for the immediate future) using all static lights, and if I get moving heads, it's mostly going to be for fun — the kinds of shows we run are well-enough served with what we have.  I'd like more flexibility in both programming chases (the Cuety is a complete pain for anything but completely static scenes), and the ability to tweak stuff live as needed.  Being able to have control on a tablet is a win for me, because it means I'm not stuck standing next to the console all evening — it's rare that there are more than a couple of us plus the talent.  I'd like something reliable that gives me a reasonable amount of flexibility and expressiveness but stuff like pre-show visualization etc. is way overkill for what we need.  I'm computer security engineer during the daytime, so I'm not looking for something that will hold my hand -- I'm in the middle of building out an Open Lighting Architecture box to bring the Phillips Hue strips we use as house lights into the DMX universe so I can control everything off of one board.  I recognize that this isn't the profile for most folks who are looking to graduate to a "real" lighting board, and I'm happy to take advice, but I'm also looking for gotchas — "oh, I tried one of these as a rental a couple times and it crashed constantly and then shorted everything out" sort of things.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 02:22:47 PM »

I have only seen one at a trade show, but Looking at the manual it seems to be pretty cool.  8 universes compared to the single you have now. Hands on control from the surface. Built in WiFi for remote control from any smart phone, tablet or computer with a web browser. Ability to use 2 of the connected devices as wings for 20 more playbacks. 3 devices can connect at one time it looks like.

I was thinking you could use your phone as a remote focus unit when you are focusing lights! Another use might be that a rehearsal could access a basic stage wash from their phone onstage and not have to climb up to the booth to use the console (restricting access to the board and booth to only authorized folks)

I like that it has both 5 and 3 pin DMX outputs as well as Ethernet/Artnet outputs.

Also there is a Core unit that houses the same engine that is only accessed by web browser devices. Except for the hands on surface everything else is the same.

I like it. While it may lack a few advanced features of other consoles, unless you are doing broadway or big concerts this looks like a pretty cool system to me. Throw a core unit in your gig bag and always have a lighting console with you that features remote access and the same operating system you are used to.

If you are looking to step up to a better console that the Cuety, this would be it. 

Another option could be the Chamsys PC with a Wing. The software is free to download and use on most any computer but you need to buy a dongle to output DMX.  I have used some cheap units from Entec with Chamsys and they work fine. For hands on control you can buy a basic wing or faders, a programming wing that has faders and knobs/wheels or a wing with faders and playback buttons called the Extra Wing. Multiple wings can be used at the same time in addition to the virtual faders and controls onscreen.

The benefit of Chamsys is that you can download the software and see if you like it, spend under a few hundred bucks for any dongle or buy the dongle from Chamsys for $100. Chamsys also has a locked dongle for $15 that allows programming and use for 5 hours at a stretch, then you just need to unplug it and get another 5 hours at a time. I know some local bands that use the basic locked $15 dongle and plug it in just befor their 4 hour show in a club.

Chamsys Software is the same as in their consoles. Might be worth a try

Craig

Sent from my iPad

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 01:46:02 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something. How does it have 8 universes with only one DMX (or are the 3p and 5p separate) output?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Eleanor Saitta

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 10:52:24 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something. How does it have 8 universes with only one DMX (or are the 3p and 5p separate) output?

The rest of them are exposed over ethernet; you have to terminate them back to DMX separately.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 04:28:18 PM »

Duane

There are actually 2 universes accessible on the back of the LS1 console with both a 3 pin and a 5 pin output, but these are not isolated splits.  I'm just now getting into programing and using the console.  I'm coming to it from a Hog 4 background with some work on the Martin MPC and others.  So far, it's pretty impressive for its size and cost, and easier to learn than the other two.  It won't replace a Hog.  Of course, the more consoles you learn and use, the easier the new ones are to learn.   The one problem I've found is the limited number of fixture profiles offered.  My Blizzard Rock Light, LB Par, and Helios profiles aren't listed yet.  This is all just my opinion.  In the interest of full disclosure, I am a Blizzard dealer.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 05:02:26 PM »

Being able to have control on a tablet is a win for me, because it means I'm not stuck standing next to the console all evening — it's rare that there are more than a couple of us plus the talent. 

Most modern platforms allow for this, though I tend to favor using external networking gear.  What's your timeframe for purchase?  If anything, I'd give this a few more months to see if it really gains any footing in the market.  You might also want to add the ChamSys QuickQ to your list of options.  Despite the newness of the board I tend to trust the pedigree of ChamSys far more than I would Blizzard. 

As an aside, if you also want to use DMX for houselights I believe there are certain fire code requirements that you have to comply with for that.  I'm not an expert and can't speak on the matter - I just know they may exist (depending on where you live).  Good luck!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 06:57:07 PM »

Most modern platforms allow for this, though I tend to favor using external networking gear.  What's your timeframe for purchase?  If anything, I'd give this a few more months to see if it really gains any footing in the market.  You might also want to add the ChamSys QuickQ to your list of options.  Despite the newness of the board I tend to trust the pedigree of ChamSys far more than I would Blizzard. 

As an aside, if you also want to use DMX for houselights I believe there are certain fire code requirements that you have to comply with for that.  I'm not an expert and can't speak on the matter - I just know they may exist (depending on where you live).  Good luck!

The Chamsys Quick Q are fixture faders only.  The Lightshark it looks like they can be assigned as Playback faders.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 07:13:09 PM »

The Chamsys Quick Q are fixture faders only.  The Lightshark it looks like they can be assigned as Playback faders.

The QuickQ 20 and 30 have the the standard 10 fader playback area.  I’m not how many layers or pages you get though nor what all you can assign to them.  Given that ChamSys claims the QuickQ shows are compatible with the larger desks I’d hope that the faders are just as useful, but it’s also a very new product too and it might take a few firmware updates to bring out the full potential. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 07:13:09 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.