ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lamps in series instead of parallel  (Read 2301 times)

Andrew Pernica

Lamps in series instead of parallel
« on: August 20, 2018, 07:00:19 AM »

Sorry for little OT, but lights are usually somehow tied with sound.

I have met with one really interesting question.
Inside effect lights like derby ,zigzag, doubleball there are usually 2 lamps connected in series.
F.E.: two 120V lamps in series instead of two 230V in parallel.

Why are they connected in series, not in parallel?
Is it because of "same current running through = same intensity" or better manufacturing (in countries running 120V power outlet they just move jumpers to connect them in parallel) ?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 01:28:20 PM by Craig Leerman »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 08:26:08 AM »

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Re: Lamps in series instead of parallel
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 01:34:13 PM »

One answer might be that they are connected in series because if one bulb dies, the entire fixture goes out so you know a bulb is dead. With parallel bulbs, if one bulb dies the fixture still works but not as intended. People using a 1/2 working fixture might not understand a bulb died and would keep using it, or stop using it as it now underperforms. 
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 03:18:19 PM »

I have met with one really interesting question.
Inside effect lights like derby ,zigzag, doubleball there are usually 2 lamps connected in series.
F.E.: two 120V lamps in series instead of two 230V in parallel.

Why are they connected in series, not in parallel?
Is it because of "same current running through = same intensity" or better manufacturing (in countries running 120V power outlet they just move jumpers to connect them in parallel) ?
Another potential issue is that 230 volts can be challenging for filament design, particularly for low-wattage or physically small lamps.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 05:08:08 PM »

In countries running 120V power outlet they just move jumpers to connect them in parallel?

That's a good question.  In all of my similar effect lights (and I own many), they're all in parallel (and I'm in a 120v country).  The 120v variant of the 64514 lamp that most of these effects use seems to be the common choice, but a 230v version exists.  Without too much digging in inventory I found a few examples.  My ADJ Avenger IIs have a fixed voltage and simply list the 120v fuse and lamps, whereas my Chauvet Lighthouse has a user-selectable voltage (120/230v) and lists the fuse/lamps for both settings.  All units have the lamps tied together in parallel.  I know that's not really an answer for you, but more info to chew on! 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 05:08:08 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.