ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DL 1608 w/ Master Fader  (Read 4521 times)

Steve Garris

Re: DL 1608 w/ Master Fader
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 02:48:11 PM »

It might have been a blessing in disguise not to get the effects up on that mixer
 the effects sound kind of crappy

The effects have been upgraded substantially, and sound just fine now.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 11:02:03 AM »

Jonathan - congrats on the DL1608 Mixer. I've upgraded from a Toa M106 back in the 80's to several analog Mackies (1202, 1402, 1642), an 01v, and now just the DL1608.

Spend time with the iPad app to set up things and learn the flow and how subgroups and other things work - a lot easier to do vs. at the gig. I set up rough setups for my band with HPF on vocals, rough monitor mix assignments, and it helps vs setting it up from scratch while there.

Great forum for more help is the Mackie DL forum here - http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?board=26.0

As for internet, not needed. What you do is create your own network with an Airport Express or similar WiFi unit, and then your iPad connects to that. No access to internet needed. I've tried it once at home, but usually have the mixer on a table as I play while mixing. But... realized last show that with an Airport Express, the DL1608 could sit behind our drummer and act as the snake, and I could then mix with the iPad on a stand - was able to sell a 75' 16x4 snake, which is always good.

Have fun, and you'll be surprised what you can with it. While there are other mixers now that also let you record all channels to a drive, sometimes just recording the stereo feed is enough...

Steve Garris

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 12:17:22 PM »

Jonathan - congrats on the DL1608 Mixer. I've upgraded from a Toa M106 back in the 80's to several analog Mackies (1202, 1402, 1642), an 01v, and now just the DL1608.

Spend time with the iPad app to set up things and learn the flow and how subgroups and other things work - a lot easier to do vs. at the gig. I set up rough setups for my band with HPF on vocals, rough monitor mix assignments, and it helps vs setting it up from scratch while there.

Great forum for more help is the Mackie DL forum here - http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?board=26.0

As for internet, not needed. What you do is create your own network with an Airport Express or similar WiFi unit, and then your iPad connects to that. No access to internet needed. I've tried it once at home, but usually have the mixer on a table as I play while mixing. But... realized last show that with an Airport Express, the DL1608 could sit behind our drummer and act as the snake, and I could then mix with the iPad on a stand - was able to sell a 75' 16x4 snake, which is always good.

Have fun, and you'll be surprised what you can with it. While there are other mixers now that also let you record all channels to a drive, sometimes just recording the stereo feed is enough...

I do the same - set the high-pass at 140 or so for everything but bass, kick and perhaps synth tracks or keys. Another trick is to turn on the comp's on the vocal channels, and set make-up gain to about +4. This will give you a nice gain boost where you'll need it, then adjust threshold and ratio as needed. Don't be afraid to try some of the channel EQ presets.

Johnathon P. Roof

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 02:11:38 PM »

Ned, thanks. Im still a bit confused. Are you saying there still needs to be a source of internet wifi to use the ipad wirelessly away from the board? The airport express would still have to connect to an existing wifi network at whatever bar were in right? Im just wondering hypothetically if i set my band up in the middle of the woods with 0 access to internet and we had generators to power everything how would you "create a network" and get data from the board to the ipad off stage without internet? Maybe im not thinking about this correctly? We have a normal linksys router, i dont really want to have to buy a new airport express.  Can you clarify?

Also, i understand that you cant mix a subgroup to the auxs, the reason i asked that was because we practice with only monitors in a garage so we dont use the mains at all so i was just looking for an east way to adjust the drum mix all at once through the monitors. I guess we just have to copy and paste each individual drum channel into the respective aux outs then right?

Thanks,
John

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 02:59:47 PM »

As previously stated in replies above
you are not using the internet
 you are creating a connection between your wireless device and the wireless router and the console
 that's it
no internet
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 03:48:58 PM »

So being more precise:

- The WAP (wireless access point) attaches to your console
- Your iDevice connects to the WAP
- By virtue of connecting to the WAP, your iDevice "sees" the console that is attached to the WAP

Hope that is helpful!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 04:05:58 PM »

For many people, especially young folk, WIFI = Internet. The  companies like Comcast (Xfinity), Spectrum, or Verizon promote that view.

To the OP, WIFI is really only the wireless connection between your device (phone or tablet) and a wired network.

In the pro audio world, we mostly use our own private network with our own WIFI. Much of the time we don’t want a connection to someone else’s network or the Internet because we don’t want other people to be able to take control of our audio gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 04:11:30 PM »

Also, i understand that you cant mix a subgroup to the auxs, the reason i asked that was because we practice with only monitors in a garage so we dont use the mains at all so i was just looking for an east way to adjust the drum mix all at once through the monitors. I guess we just have to copy and paste each individual drum channel into the respective aux outs then right?

Thanks,
John

Others have already commented on the differences between Wi-Fi and internet, so I'll take a stab at your second question.

Exactly how many mics do you put on your drums, and how many of those are you running through the monitors that you feel you need to make the adjustments simpler? 

Unless you're all using IEM's with good isolation and/or electronic drums, usually the drums are loud enough acoustically for the artists to hear for the purposes of timing on all but very large stages.  Monitors are not intended to give everyone a beautifully polished mix of every single input, but rather the bare minimum of what is required for the artist to be able to perform.   The more instruments you add to the monitor mixes, the more each one competes and the louder everything gets on stage, which can have a dramatic affect on clarity in the front-of-house. 

Remember of course that a lot of the sound coming from the monitor below the top couple octaves will bleed into the first few rows (or more depending on layout of the room, cabinet design and overall volume) making for a muddy mix or a lack of control of the sound out front. Use monitors sparingly if possible, especially if you're going to take these presets and load them up at a gig.  Think of them as a cue-wedge, not a personal concert.

I personally rarely put much other than a little snare into the monitors (some kick for the drummer or bass player if requested, and maybe hi-hat if it's important to timing for the music).  In small rooms I can get a lot done on a kit with just a kick mic and a single overhead, which is then only two channels to adjust in the monitors/mains (and could be done with one hand/two fingers on the tablet).

All that said, you don't need to "copy" anything as far as processing goes.  Set up your Aux sends pre-fader, which means that the levels going to the monitors will not change when you change the fader level in the mains.  The preamp level, EQ, compressing and gates will all be processed exactly the same for each respective channel whether sent to the mains or monitors; the only difference is the routing path (either through the aux mix fader or main fader, plus whatever processing is applied to the main/aux masters).

I hope that makes sense and I've understood your question correctly.  Have fun!
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
DL 1608 w/ Master Fader
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 12:53:48 PM »

Ned, thanks. Im still a bit confused. Are you saying there still needs to be a source of internet wifi to use the ipad wirelessly away from the board? The airport express would still have to connect to an existing wifi network at whatever bar were in right? Im just wondering hypothetically if i set my band up in the middle of the woods with 0 access to internet and we had generators to power everything how would you "create a network" and get data from the board to the ipad off stage without internet? Maybe im not thinking about this correctly? We have a normal linksys router, i dont really want to have to buy a new airport express.  Can you clarify?

Thanks,
John
Per the mix question. To make the drum processing the same in all the auxes as the mains set your auxes to "pre fader". This will mean the processing for ALL channels affects the monitors as well.  I don't recommend doing this as any DSP changes done to any channel will also change the monitor signal.

To make the aux mixes all the same use the " copy/paste mix" buttons under the main faders in the auxes to match the mixes as a starting point.  There is no faster way to do what you are describing on this mixer. Assuming I am understanding your question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 12:56:30 PM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

ProSoundWeb Community

DL 1608 w/ Master Fader
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 12:53:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.