ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DL 1608 w/ Master Fader  (Read 4438 times)

Johnathon P. Roof

DL 1608 w/ Master Fader
« on: August 18, 2018, 03:40:59 PM »

Hello!

I am brand new to the forum.  I wanted to get on here because I heard a lot of you are true jedi when it comes to live sound and mixing.  Unfortunately, I have been tagged as my band's "sound guy", mostly because everyone in the band is in their 50s and I am 29 and we just got this new DL 1608... I guess that makes me qualified to run the new board because its digital.  Disclaimer: I have a very raw and rudimentary understanding of sound mixing and I am by no means a professional.

I have a couple of questions for you guys on here that have used this system and the application.  I have read through some of the manual but it seems to be more concerned about witty writing than clear and concise directions.  my questions are below:

For the DL 1608, do we have to have an internet connection to use the Ipad wirelessly away from the board?  I have a router, can I just plug the board into the router instead of needing to connect the router to an internet source?  We play in some serious dives and I doubt any of them will even have Internet, much less have a spot I can plug a CAT 5 into their modem to get an internet signal into my router.  I am hoping I can just plug the board into the router and use the application wirelessly that way.  Any help on that?

My second question has to do with the Master Fader app. I am trying to figure out how to route a subgroup to individual aux channels.  In this situation I have our drums mixed into a sub group and have applied the levels and processing to each drum.  I want to be able to apply that subgroup audio signal to my AUX outputs for our monitors so that everyone can control the level at which the drums as a whole come through their individual monitors.  Do I have to route this to a VCA then route to an aux and control the aux levels on the input screen for that VCA or is there a way to take the Subgroup and route to individual auxs?  I didn't see the option to route the subgroup to an aux on its output routing menu, that I why I ask.

Sorry for the long complicated question, I would call the Mackie support and ask over the phone but theyre off until Monday and I need to figure something out by Sunday.

Hope everyone is doing well and thanks in advance for the help!

best
john

Andrew Hollis

Re: DL 1608 w/ Master Fader
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 07:14:35 PM »

...do we have to have an internet connection to use the Ipad wirelessly away from the board?

No. Why would it need the internet?

I am trying to figure out how to route a subgroup to individual aux channels.

You will not often find subgroup-to-aux mixing on desktop mixers such as this; only on more sophisticated consoles. A workaround for lack of this capability is to patch a bus output physically back into a channel. Otherwise, use the channel sends, you may get better results not putting every piece of kit in monitors.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 07:27:06 PM by Andrew Hollis »

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 08:05:44 PM »

Monitors should ONLY have what the person needs to hear and play well.  Anything more becomes a distraction.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 09:15:38 AM »

John,

You'll notice that the sub group faders do show up in each aux group's mix but what you are seeing is the level going to the mains.  Not sure why Mackie chose to do that as I could see it might be confusing to a novice, on the other hand; if you mix with VCAs or Sub groups it is handy to not have to back out of the aux mix to adjust. 

Enjoy the dl mixer, and since you're mixing from stage you may want to take advantage of the custom view feature to show only the channels you frequently have to adjust so you're not swiping as much across the channels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 03:56:49 PM »

Hello!

I am brand new to the forum.  I wanted to get on here because I heard a lot of you are true jedi when it comes to live sound and mixing.  Unfortunately, I have been tagged as my band's "sound guy", mostly because everyone in the band is in their 50s and I am 29 and we just got this new DL 1608... I guess that makes me qualified to run the new board because its digital.  Disclaimer: I have a very raw and rudimentary understanding of sound mixing and I am by no means a professional.

I have a couple of questions for you guys on here that have used this system and the application.  I have read through some of the manual but it seems to be more concerned about witty writing than clear and concise directions.  my questions are below:

For the DL 1608, do we have to have an internet connection to use the Ipad wirelessly away from the board?  I have a router, can I just plug the board into the router instead of needing to connect the router to an internet source?  We play in some serious dives and I doubt any of them will even have Internet, much less have a spot I can plug a CAT 5 into their modem to get an internet signal into my router.  I am hoping I can just plug the board into the router and use the application wirelessly that way.  Any help on that?

My second question has to do with the Master Fader app. I am trying to figure out how to route a subgroup to individual aux channels.  In this situation I have our drums mixed into a sub group and have applied the levels and processing to each drum.  I want to be able to apply that subgroup audio signal to my AUX outputs for our monitors so that everyone can control the level at which the drums as a whole come through their individual monitors.  Do I have to route this to a VCA then route to an aux and control the aux levels on the input screen for that VCA or is there a way to take the Subgroup and route to individual auxs?  I didn't see the option to route the subgroup to an aux on its output routing menu, that I why I ask.

Sorry for the long complicated question, I would call the Mackie support and ask over the phone but theyre off until Monday and I need to figure something out by Sunday.

Hope everyone is doing well and thanks in advance for the help!

best
john

Glad to see this post come up as I ended up giving a local band a help last night with their new DL1608 mixer. I found everything straight forward other than getting the reverb/delay to work.  I scrolled all the way to the right and had the 2 effects faders to 0db or unity.  Went to the channel the singer was singing in and went to the reverb page as an example. Selected a reverb and brought up the fader to the right of the reverb choices and the one one the other side of the reverb settings up as well. No reverb could be heard and no metering seen on them. Same with the delay. Of course the singer was singing so the post fade send should have been there. I only got the mix up and running and left.  Any idea what I may have missed? Not sure if I'll run into one again but it may be handy to know.  A video link somewhere explaining it etc?

Thanks!

Douglas R. Allen

Steve Garris

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 06:03:56 PM »

Glad to see this post come up as I ended up giving a local band a help last night with their new DL1608 mixer. I found everything straight forward other than getting the reverb/delay to work.  I scrolled all the way to the right and had the 2 effects faders to 0db or unity.  Went to the channel the singer was singing in and went to the reverb page as an example. Selected a reverb and brought up the fader to the right of the reverb choices and the one one the other side of the reverb settings up as well. No reverb could be heard and no metering seen on them. Same with the delay. Of course the singer was singing so the post fade send should have been there. I only got the mix up and running and left.  Any idea what I may have missed? Not sure if I'll run into one again but it may be handy to know.  A video link somewhere explaining it etc?

Thanks!

Douglas R. Allen

Was the reverb for an aux mix? I had trouble with that, because the fader has to be up on the main mix before any reverb or delay will come through the aux mix. When I say fader, I mean the vocal fader (or whatever you're trying to get effects on). The key to remember is that for any effect, 3 faders have to be moved up.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 06:57:16 AM »

Thanks!

Douglas R. Allen
The reverb/delay channels also have to have " main" selected on the processing screen for the reverb channel to be heard in the L/R outputs. The screen above the EQ screen.

Those effects returns can also be part of subs or VCAs group so if those master faders are down, no reverb in the mains either.

We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 02:23:44 PM »

It might have been a blessing in disguise not to get the effects up on that mixer
 the effects sound kind of crappy
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 02:29:10 PM by lindsay Dean »
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 06:13:21 PM »

The reverb/delay channels also have to have " main" selected on the processing screen for the reverb channel to be heard in the L/R outputs. The screen above the EQ screen.

Those effects returns can also be part of subs or VCAs group so if those master faders are down, no reverb in the mains either.

Scott;   

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I printed it out and put it in my gig bag should I come across one again.

Thanks again;

Douglas R. Allen   

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 11:41:30 PM »

Hi Lindsay,

Have you heard the DL1608 effects in the past couple years since they were upgraded?
To my ears, they are quite good.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 11:41:30 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.