ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi body pack show setup  (Read 1922 times)

Don Gspann

Multi body pack show setup
« on: August 18, 2018, 09:15:43 AM »

When doing multi act amateur shows with 12-20 wireless,
how do you set up so a non professional mic wrangler can manage mic changes.

I’ve been using plastic bins with labels, setup in two rows on a table. For example, top row 1-10, next row 11-20.

Probably a lot of personal preference, but is there a setup that might be more efficient? I use the shoe bag for transport, precheck and storage. I’ve seen metal pans used as well.
Any other options that you’ve used successfully.

Reason for asking is I had another sound guy tell me I was doing it wrong :(. Not how it’s done on Broadway.

Worked fine though.

Simon_Barrett

Re: Multi body pack show setup
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 09:36:23 AM »

It would have been helpful if he then went on to say HOW it’s done on Broadway rather than. Slating your methods. I can’t offer advice as I don’t really work theatre but my guess would be “whatever works”!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 09:44:51 AM »

If you keep your transmitters powered on ( as you should ) the metal trays reduce intermods between transmitters .  Other than than any easily implemented visual organization that works for you and your crew is the right answer.

Don Gspann

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 12:12:35 PM »

If you keep your transmitters powered on ( as you should ) the metal trays reduce intermods between transmitters .  Other than than any easily implemented visual organization that works for you and your crew is the right answer.

He said I should have the low numbers by the front edge of the table laid out 10-1, top row 20-11, ???
I think his logic was that the low numbers go out first. i our case they do go out first, for the first act, then it varies by act after, so who cares.

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 12:38:44 AM »

He said I should have the low numbers by the front edge of the table laid out 10-1, top row 20-11, ???
I think his logic was that the low numbers go out first. i our case they do go out first, for the first act, then it varies by act after, so who cares.
That sounds exactly like a personal preference.  I didn't know that they do multi-act amateur shows on Broadway.  I must be missing something, because all of the Broadway touring shows coming through L.A. that I have worked use shoe bags with actors names on them and we hang out those shoe bags in the dressing room areas.  The actors pick up their own transmitters.  Not a useful way for one-off shows.
Your description of how you are doing it is how it is done on major awards shows.  I do recommend metal trays - typically they are just single loaf bread pans.  Put them in any order and label them any way that makes sense for you, your A1 and your A2s.
As Riley stated, whatever works for you is the right way to do this.   

Lyle Williams

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 09:21:16 PM »

If your current process works fine, stick to it!

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 01:12:51 AM »

If they're easily available to the actors and they aren't making mistakes, then you're doing it right!

On bodypacks, I like to label them clearly with numbers that are large enough to see in low light.  The bigger the better.  That way, if they get out of order in the tray, you can still see which is which.  The users figure out which number they are supposed to have as well, which can make it easy for them to identify if they got the wrong one.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 01:12:51 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.