ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Inexpensive Android tablet.  (Read 7302 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Inexpensive Android tablet.
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2018, 07:44:31 PM »

Are you using an ethernet switch with it? That's the only way I can use mine with our x32. And it's funny because the first few times I hooked it up (sans switch) it connected fine. Then it stopped connecting with no changes being made.

Yes B.J and it has been solid.....I have to use a switch because I run sound and lights through my AE.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jon Dees

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2018, 09:33:49 PM »

I have an X18 and run it thru mixing station on various Android phones and tablets. My nice device right now is a Samsung Chromebook Plus which runs mixing station just fine but doesn't do what I want it to do which is connect to midi controllers due to API issues with mixing station, so I have been on a quest recently for an inexpensive tablet that can be really appliance-like without much fuss.

I purchased an AT&T/ZTE private label device off craigslist at my risk to see if it would work and of course they didn't enable USB OTG for midi support. If you don't care about midi controllers in mixing station this one is fine.

It does appear a Kindle Fire will work with USB OTG so I am strongly considering the HD 8 for $80 new/$60 or less refurb/used. If they would update the Fire with USB-C and a newer processor like in the Chromebook Plus I would look more favorably on it. The current 'mid range' Android tablet worth getting is the Asus Zenpad Z8 because it has these features.

Yes B.J and it has been solid.....I have to use a switch because I run sound and lights through my AE.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2018, 04:48:29 PM »

I found a little shelf at the back of Best Buy yesterday and they had several tablets very cheap.
Computers/monitors/all in ones /laptops ect.  (The hidden shelf) 
I picked up a Samsung  Tab E 9.6 for 132.00 and it updated from Android 6.1 to 7.1 when I got it on wifi at home.  Look for that shelf at the back of your Best Buy.
Picked my kid up a Samsung tab 6 this last Christmas also.  Nice little tablets.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2018, 06:12:40 PM »

I found a little shelf at the back of Best Buy yesterday and they had several tablets very cheap.
Computers/monitors/all in ones /laptops ect.  (The hidden shelf) 
I picked up a Samsung  Tab E 9.6 for 132.00 and it updated from Android 6.1 to 7.1 when I got it on wifi at home.  Look for that shelf at the back of your Best Buy.
Picked my kid up a Samsung tab 6 this last Christmas also.  Nice little tablets.

:)
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2018, 09:24:53 PM »

I'll be watching this thread. I have found myself in the position of more or less being forced to use an X/M32 and siblings. The ipad app is a non starter for my style of mixing as I need custom layers. I see that Mixstation will do what I need, but of course I need to buy a tablet. ......AND a new AP, as Behringer doesn't play nicely with Apple AE.
BJ, I have used an Apple AE for the last 3 years with my X32r and haven't had any problems with either my iPad mini or my Samsung tablet and Mixstation Pro.  We do not use a switch with the AE and the X32r and have never had a connection problem.  We use this setup some 125 plus days a year.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2018, 09:35:37 PM »

Here is an edited version of something I wrote about buying an Amazon Fire tablet.

I bought an Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet during the Prime Day sale it has 32g, it is the one without the ads. And I have a 64g microSD card in it also. This was for use with Mixing Station Pro (MSP).  I have been infrequently using MSP for a few years. So I am not a novice but not an expert on it. I have it on my current phone Samsung G8, it is a little small to mix on, but the screen (on the G8) is fantastic looking, it even works in sunlight.

Since the Fire was on sale I decided to pick one up for the occasional time it would work for my style of mixing. Also the company I do most of my freelance work for lately also has a Macie DL1608 and Mackie is supposed to be coming out with an android version of the tablet software sometime this year. So I am hoping it will come in handy for that also. I had some issues but I overcame that.

The first time I tried to use the Fire Tablet we had a Big Band that we had worked with before and the weather was very uncertain. So since the band is relatively easy to mix I decided to setup the mixer (Midas M32) by the side of the stage. But I didn’t have access to the mixer or the WAP (Wireless Access Point) before the show. How hard could it be to get it to work? Well Too hard. I got the Mac address entered in the WAP as one of the authorized users. My phone was working fine running Mixing Station Pro but it seems like the Fire tablet was trying to see the internet on the WAP. And since there wasn’t an internet connection it kept failing. And then MSP wouldn’t connect. Then the next week I tried it again and before the Fire Tablet could reject the network connection since it wouldn’t find the internet I tried to connect MSP to the mixer and it worked. 

The purpose of using the Mac Address in the WAP is a security procedure. Only devices whose Mac Address are in the WAP are able to connect to it. My phones Mac address and the Fire Tablet are in the approved Mac list in this WAP and my phone worked just fine and has always in the past. It is just that for some reason that the Fire seems to think it needs to see the internet to have a valid network connection. But now I know the workaround for that.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2018, 06:58:00 AM »

My phone was working fine running Mixing Station Pro but it seems like the Fire tablet was trying to see the internet on the WAP. And since there wasn’t an internet connection it kept failing. And then MSP wouldn’t connect.
It is just that for some reason that the Fire seems to think it needs to see the internet to have a valid network connection. But now I know the workaround for that.
Every version of Android has subtle differences.  On my Nexus 7 running LineageOS, I get a complaint about no internet, but it's fine to ignore it and everything works.  Does the connection fail altogether on the Fire, or have you just assumed it has?  Is there a setting for wifi on the Fire that controls how it deals with that situation?

As for access points, I've been happy with old wifi routers that came with my previous broadband package.  Cost = 0, and I've picked up spares for about GBP 5 from ebay - I really don't see the point in spending big bucks on these, unless you're after a device with very specific characteristics - they all let you assign WPA security, limit MAC addresses, and hide the name, depending on which you want to do.

Have been reading this thread with interest.  With the X32, my favoured setup is to add a laptop and Nexus 7 tablet - the laptop more to have as a second screen from the console, for increased information, and the Nexus 7 for roaming.  At a pinch, I may pull out my phone.

Out and about with my XR18, I tend to use just the Nexus 7.  But am aware that a bigger screen would be much better.  Was tending toward the Fire HD, though it's sadly not such a bargain no-brainer in the UK.

Was doing a town show last weekend.  Discovered that the endless battery life of my Nexus 7 tops out around 5 hours with constant use.  That's where I appreciated the ability to crack out my phone and carry on mixing while I dropped in the Nexus 7 to charge...

John Schalk

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2018, 09:16:11 AM »

....AND a new AP, as Behringer doesn't play nicely with Apple AE.

We use an Apple Airport Express with our M32 and no Ethernet switch regularly.  We had some connection issues upon startup until I did the following:

1. Reserved the console's IP address
2. Move the DHCP range in the router above the console's IP address
3. Adopted the following power on procedure:  power on console, connect LAN cable to AE, power on AE

It's been pretty smooth sailing ever since.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2018, 11:12:02 AM »

Every version of Android has subtle differences.  On my Nexus 7 running LineageOS, I get a complaint about no internet, but it's fine to ignore it and everything works.  Does the connection fail altogether on the Fire, or have you just assumed it has?  Is there a setting for wifi on the Fire that controls how it deals with that situation?

If I let the Fire look for the network connection (it is looking for the internet) on the WAP it will eventually give a message that there is no internet. I think it kept saying “Internet service not working”. If I wait too long and then try to connect Mixing Station Pro (MSP) it won’t connect to the Midas M32. If I don’t wait for the Fire to reject the network connection and I try to connect MSP to the M32 it takes a second longer then usual and starts to connect and it works. And I have searched extensively and haven’t found a way to change the way that the Fire handles this situation. I hope this answers your questions. 

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2018, 12:56:28 PM »

We use an Apple Airport Express with our M32 and no Ethernet switch regularly.  We had some connection issues upon startup until I did the following:

1. Reserved the console's IP address
2. Move the DHCP range in the router above the console's IP address
3. Adopted the following power on procedure:  power on console, connect LAN cable to AE, power on AE

It's been pretty smooth sailing ever since.
Ya, I just checked that and all is what it should be. Of course it hooked right up, and that is part of the problem. I'll think I have it licked, it'll work for few times, and then all of a sudden it won't connect. No changes made. I'll try a few power cycles today and see if I can get it to screw up again. Now if they would fix their app to have custom layers, I'd be a happy boy. I know I can use MSP on android. I tried a couple tablets this weekend. I prefer the ipad.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2018, 12:56:28 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.