ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Inexpensive Android tablet.  (Read 7300 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Inexpensive Android tablet.
« on: August 17, 2018, 11:40:15 AM »

I'd like a cheapo android tablet.....
I want to take it with me to be able to use mixing station along with the A&H app for iPad without having to take my huge Samsung each time.

What is the least expensive option anyone here has used that is reliable??
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Inexpensive Android tablet.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 11:44:16 AM »

I own a first gen kindle fire but it only runs Amazon proprietary apps. I have read about side loading and such to make it be able to run google play apps but I am not sure what I am doing and  I fear bricking the unit completely.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 11:48:26 AM »

I have been using a refurbished 5th Gen Amazon Fire 10 HD.  Not truly Android but if your program is not offered in the Fire Store, it is an easy crack to make it work. You can get them for $79.00.  While they aren't the best tablets out there, I trust them more than a cheap generic tablet.

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 11:52:17 AM »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 12:05:32 PM »

I just downloaded the four APk files and it worked. https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

I've tried before but I hit obstacles and get wary of continuing...
Case in point: when I click on your link and try to accomplish step 1 I can't do it.
......settings> security> enable apps from unknown sources. That option isn't available under settings on the Fire v1- I think the first gen is very different from all the others and th procedure gets overlooked. If anyone has a gen 1 fire and can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

edit: I found how to do it in a  round about fashion - different steps and had to go into device but this is an example of the obstacles I hit. Because I am not good with hacks, I need step by step instructions specifically for the fire get 1.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 12:08:14 PM by Debbie Dunkley »

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 12:18:27 PM »

I understand, wish I could help more, but I pretty much just hit download and then pray for rain myself.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 12:23:51 PM »

I understand, wish I could help more, but I pretty much just hit download and then pray for rain myself.

Thanks Doug

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 12:29:30 PM »

Just trying to download the 4 apps that the article suggests, did the first one but when I try to download the second one, my screen fills with ads which I cannot move out of the way and at the bottom it tells me my browser is incompatible anyway- so frustrating.

This is why I gave up- I have spent hours trying to do this in the past so I figured I'd pick up a cheap tablet and save myself all the grief.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 12:31:18 PM »

No matter how low a price you may see on Fuhu Nabi tablets, avoid. They have a proprietary sandboxed network that doesn't allow you to use as a regular android tablet. Unclear if they were going to add the OTA firmware update. Being cleared out all over, but sometimes things are cheap for a reason...

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 12:32:41 PM »

I'll be watching this thread. I have found myself in the position of more or less being forced to use an X/M32 and siblings. The ipad app is a non starter for my style of mixing as I need custom layers. I see that Mixstation will do what I need, but of course I need to buy a tablet. ......AND a new AP, as Behringer doesn't play nicely with Apple AE.
The A&H app is SO nicely done. Behringer (and others) should take note.
And while I'm ranting, if you're going to market something as a "Tour Pack" (X32 in a tour ready roadcase) do you think you could put some frickin' wheels on it? What, am I supposed to carry it around?
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 12:32:41 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 23 queries.