ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LED and rain...  (Read 2259 times)

Karl Bader

• Karl Bader
LED and rain...
« on: August 17, 2018, 09:56:55 AM »

Hey all! First off thanks in advance for replies and help. I own a small regional production company and we are slowly investing more into lighting. We currently have 8 Elation 250 profile fixtures and I’m getting ready to purchase a bunch of wash fixtures. Doing so would eliminate the need for the 6 bars that we currently use for front light.

My question is a few times a year We are out in unprotected stages. Currently we have 16’ truss towers that the 6 bars go up on. If it rains a little no big deal, it either evaporates, or blows an occasional lamp. If I’m looking to use wash fixtures or an led par type fixture it obviously can’t handle any rain.

My question, what solutions are there for protecting these fixtures from the light sprinkle? The drizzle that’s annoying but not going to shut down a show?

Thanks in advance!

James Feenstra

Re: LED and rain...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 10:15:22 AM »

There's lots of fixed LED par fixtures that are IP65 and can sit out in the rain/weather for days without issue

have yet to see an IP65 moving wash fixture though. There's a couple profile options like the sgm g-spot (which they used to demo underwater if i recall correctly), however.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 11:24:06 AM »

Karl, I don't know if there are any products designed to protect non-IP rated wash instruments.  As James indicated there are a lot of IP rated wash instruments from many suppliers.  The problem is they are both more expensive (as you might expect) and generally much heavier.  I saw a couple of clear "domes" with active cooling to protect any type mover at LDI but don't remember the brands.  One of the "themes" of the last few lighting trade shows has been IP rated movers.  There are quite a few from Elation, SGM, and others.  Again expect to pay significantly more for this feature.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 12:13:57 PM »

My question, what solutions are there for protecting these fixtures from the light sprinkle? The drizzle that’s annoying but not going to shut down a show?

Hi Karl, there are many options available depending on the level of reliability required along with how much you want to spend.  The best option is probably just to buy IP65 units as already mentioned.  There are several good choices on the market right now that aren't too expensive.  For just a very light sprinkle, any basic unit that doesn't have fans tends to do okay, but your mileage will vary.  As I've said here many times, American Ninja Warrior uses Chauvet SlimPar Pros on much of their set with good enough results.  There's a recent thread here that touches on many of the IP65 pros/cons too.   

I have yet to see an IP65 moving wash fixture though.

The Chauvet Maverick Storm 1 Wash fits the bill.  The price is reasonable, but still not cheap.

I saw a couple of clear "domes" with active cooling to protect any type mover at LDI but don't remember the brands. 

The Tempest Lighting enclosures are more or less the industry standard here.  They're definitely not cheap, but certainly pay for themselves when substantial protection is needed from rain/snow/sand/UV/pyro fallout.  For what you're doing I'd think the decision is really between a legit IP65 LED Par or a non-IP65 but rugged Par such as a SlimPar Pro and hope for the best.  If your movers are doing okay I'd wager a SlimPar Pro would too.  Hope this helps! 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 12:13:57 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.