ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Thin microphone wire (3 conductor) ??  (Read 4079 times)

Scott Helmke

Re: Thin microphone wire (3 conductor) ??
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 09:55:01 AM »

Mogami 2697 is not the thinnest they make, but it's still very thin. About what Shure uses for lavalier wire. We use it for lectern mic cables and such.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 10:42:46 AM »

Although I like 8451 and (moreso) 9451, they're install grade wire and you won't be happy with the jacket for portable use.

Entertainment Manufacturing makes a small diameter cable with flexible jacket that works well - we use it for CPC fanouts.

^^^^
This.

I am not familiar with the wire Brian recommended, but install wire like 8451 or 9451 is not suitable for use as portable cable.

Mac

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 11:04:35 AM »

re. partial unreel boxes -- don't they stamp the cables in them with the remaining length?  I always bought CAT-5 in 1000' boxes, and I know for a fact both Belden and NorTel cable were marked that way.
  Definitely Wes.  The problem becomes when you've a crew of six or eight wirewomen / wiremen pulling many runs of 12 cables in two or more venues within one complex along with system-wide systems, trying to keep groups of of a dozen plus spares together so they'll all run out together becomes a daunting task.  Once all of your home runs are pulled it becomes easier to ride heard on the masses.  As soon as installers completing racks begin grabbing one or two 'Un-Reel's for jumpers between gear and RTS fields within racks, finding groups of matching length 'Un-Reels' becomes a time consuming game you don't want to be playing.  Optimistically more than enough said. 
Toodleoo! 
Ron Hebbard

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 11:52:09 AM »

I'd recommend Gepco XB401. It's really small, 24ga, flexible, and has a braided shield. It holds up well, and I've used it in a lot of places.

http://www.gepco.com/products/proav_cable/analog_audio/singdual_xband_F.htm?v=2

Only thing to watch for is, like all Gepco cable it seems, the inner jackets seem to melt at a slightly lower temperature than others, so solder carefully.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 02:57:06 PM »

Sam; Research Belden 8451 which is only manufactured in two jacket colors, black and light grey.  Belden 9451

Thanks, I've seen the Belden 9451SB wire and it does have a shield and makes it easy for wire stripping as well. I'll try 100'ft of it and see if it will suffice for what I'm looking at doing.

Thank you all for your responses. It's much appreciated as always. :)
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 07:49:14 PM »

^^^^
This.

I am not familiar with the wire Brian recommended, but install wire like 8451 or 9451 is not suitable for use as portable cable.

Mac

I ordered some Belden 9451SB wire (100'ft) to test it out.

What wire that is "thin" and good for portable cable?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 08:04:09 PM »

I ordered some Belden 9451SB wire (100'ft) to test it out.

What wire that is "thin" and good for portable cable?

Something with a braid or spiral shield, not install wire that has a foil shield that will separate from the inner conductors with very few rounds of coiling and uncoiling. That wire is not for portable use.

Mac

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 12:44:01 PM »

Canare L-2T5 is a miniature mic cable (4.6mm diameter) I would use around drum kits if I was concerned about it being inconspicuous.  Long lengths that are likely to get yanked on, or jammed under chair legs, I would be concerned about, but if it's reasonably looked after it should be fine.

Redco has it for less than $0.50/ft., and they seem happy to sell it in less than 100m spools too.

GTD

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 02:00:45 PM »

Canare L-2T5 is a miniature mic cable (4.6mm diameter) I would use around drum kits if I was concerned about it being inconspicuous.  Long lengths that are likely to get yanked on, or jammed under chair legs, I would be concerned about, but if it's reasonably looked after it should be fine.

Redco has it for less than $0.50/ft., and they seem happy to sell it in less than 100m spools too.

GTD

99% of the time I'll be the one handling this cable so I know it will be in good hands and well taken care of. :)
Thanks for the info , I'll look that up and order some of that as well.

Thank you!

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2018, 11:26:39 PM »

GTD

So I started putting together the drum mic cables, all new Neutrik connectors and just waiting on my black Neutrik female 90’s to arrive Thursday and they will be complete.

So far I like the cable, mich thinner than standard cables and will blend well.
Thanks for your help gents.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2018, 11:26:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.