ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic suggestion for hiding inside wedding arches  (Read 6494 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Mic suggestion for hiding inside wedding arches
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 02:16:58 AM »

I’ve seen people put a lav mic on the edge of the Bible that the preacher was holding, he can discretely point it to the bride and groom as they speak. One of those thin stand up mics like they use for awards shows could work also.

Long before I got involved in this madness called pro audio, at my wedding, my wife and I just tried to speak up. Her grandfather was going deaf and and kept saying, “huh. what did they say?” Through the whole ceremony. Which was all of about 5 minutes long. The photographers thought we were joking when we said to take as many pictures as yyou u can early, because it’s not going to last long.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

MikeHarris

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 04:19:34 AM »

As noted..short top quality shotguns should cover this.
DPA has a C compact amplifier for their modular series.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 06:56:38 PM »

I've been using an Earthworks FW430 Flex Wand with a wireless butt plug. It disappears into the background. I've used it with with floor wedges for a wedding in the round and got good enough results. Wedges were behind the audience, so the back rows could hear. I'd planned on doing the wedges facing outward around the ceremony area and had it set up that way, the wedding planner freaked out at the last moment and we reset everything.

I have a client that has asked for sound reinforcement for the ceremony of an outdoor wedding under a floral arch. They have requested no visible microphones (even e6 headsets were nixed) so we were thinking of attempting to hide one or more microphones inside the floral arch itself to pick up the officiant and vows.

Has anyone tried this before with success? I imagine the couple will stand just in front of the arch. What pickup pattern would work best in this application? Omni, hypercardiod, shotgun or maybe even a boundary mic? Any specific product recommendations also accepted.

Any suggestions would be great!
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 01:35:08 AM »

I wonder how the K-Array line array microphone might work in your application.
The tonal quality is suppose to remain consistent at a distance from the source.

https://www.k-array.com/en/products/106-products/install-sound/1415-capture-kmc20-incredibly-thin-line-array-microphone.html

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 10:57:43 AM »

The photographers thought we were joking when we said to take as many pictures as yyou u can early, because it’s not going to last long.

The wedding or the marriage?

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 04:43:57 PM »

The wedding or the marriage?
The wedding. Lasted about 5 minutes.

Our marriage passed 17 years in May.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 10:52:04 AM »

Lot's of creative ideas have been thrown out here, some expensive with equipment that not everyone will have in their inventory.

I can see where headset mics even the E6 style would not pass with the client but two small lapel mics one on the groom and one on the officiant even semi concealed will give better and more predictable performance.

You'll just have to give them the choice and make sure they understand the difference, a known proven technique with a couple lapel mics that may be seen a little or any of the other options that will have more variables in play at any given time that may result in grandpa and grandma not hearing "I do"

I would be interested in hearing about any real world usage
of the K Array mics though.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 03:57:29 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »

The wedding. Lasted about 5 minutes.

Our marriage passed 17 years in May.

Good.  :)

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 05:05:46 PM »

There is a lot that can be done with multi-mic arrays, beam forming and DSP.  Unfortunately none of it invisible.  There are meeting room microphones that can detect a speaker in the room and beam form on them to reduce reflections and background noise.  But it's still a "thing" that can be seen in front of the ceremony.

Maybe at some point there will be DSP capable of taking multiple moving sources (lapel mics on a couple of participants) and create focus beams on whoever is speaking.  Thereby getting good GBF and useful for live support of such things.

Martin Morris

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 02:58:26 AM »

You need to make sure your client understands the trade-offs that their demands are creating.

Using a distant mic for recording purposes can work fairly well, but for amplification, it becomes much more difficult.  In order to prevent feedback, you'll need to make sure your speakers and the area you are trying to increase in volume don't overlap with the source of sound.  If the participants don't speak up enough to overcome that, it's never going to work.

^^^^ THIS - Brian is spot on here. The fact that it's outdoors will help immensely. Pick a Mic with a pickup pattern sympathetic to your speaker coverage/deployment.
Dude told me to "go back to where I came from", so I set my tent up on his front lawn ... (unnamed Indian)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 02:58:26 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.