ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer XR18 with X-Touch compact controller, any experience?  (Read 14829 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC

I'm trying to program an X-Touch compact to control the faders and mutes on XR18s and the Behringer documentation doesn't even rise to the level of pathetic.  Has anyone successfully programmed this combo?  The Music Group discussion board for the product is a bit hazy on whether it works at all but at least a couple of You tube videos seem to indicate it does but without providing any useful details.

John Chiara

Re: Behringer XR18 with X-Touch compact controller, any experience?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 12:35:20 AM »

I'm trying to program an X-Touch compact to control the faders and mutes on XR18s and the Behringer documentation doesn't even rise to the level of pathetic.  Has anyone successfully programmed this combo?  The Music Group discussion board for the product is a bit hazy on whether it works at all but at least a couple of You tube videos seem to indicate it does but without providing any useful details.
I use the bigger X Touch with an X32R. Once it connects it works perfectly.
Haven't tried with an XR.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 03:13:43 AM »

I use the bigger X Touch with an X32R. Once it connects it works perfectly.
Haven't tried with an XR.

Works well with an XR too.  Easier if you get or make an overlay to label the buttons correctly.  I have files if anyone wants them (full size X-Touch only).

Steve'

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 11:26:01 AM »

Update!  I received a response on the Behringer discussion board telling me to turn off the "Global" setting in the XTC editor app and that has everything now working as expected EXCEPT for invoking a MIDI dump to the controller from the mixer.  Apparently this isn't a documented function, well actually there are no documented functions when you get right down to it so its a complete hunt and peck proposition but the most experienced user on their forum seems to have been able to do it so now I'm hoping for more info on making that operation work.  Currently the controller doesn't really know that state of the mixer until you operate all of the controls on the surface to bring them in sync.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 11:29:26 AM by Riley Casey »

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 12:37:01 PM »

I don't have any thing that would help in your quest.  Actually, if you succeed, i'd like to know how you did it since it likely will come up in my future as well.

I do know this.  The XTouch Remote and the XTouch COMPACT remote have almost NOTHING in common with each other operationally WRT controlling any of the Behringer Digital Mixers.  They look similar, but work completely differently, which causes all kinds of confusion.

The Full-Size unit has presets to control the XR1* and X32 stuff.  The Compact is more like a generic Midi Controller.  I actually had an easier time programming a Compact to control Yamaha QL mixers than i did getting them to work with other B Products...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 01:26:16 PM »

Well it now all works including the MIDI dump function.  The change required to implement that was to simply set a different encoder button to the dump function and that did the trick.  The lack of manufacturer support is all pretty silly when viewed from the experience with real vendors like Yamaha but I suppose when looked at from the dollar value of the hardware involved its pleasantly surprising that the lights come on when you plug it in. 

Brian I can send you a copy of the editor file that I've come up with for the XTC but as you say I have no idea if it bears any relationship to the larger controller.  Maybe we just need to have a beer over it.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 06:30:47 PM »

Well it now all works including the MIDI dump function.  The change required to implement that was to simply set a different encoder button to the dump function and that did the trick.  The lack of manufacturer support is all pretty silly when viewed from the experience with real vendors like Yamaha but I suppose when looked at from the dollar value of the hardware involved its pleasantly surprising that the lights come on when you plug it in. 

Brian I can send you a copy of the editor file that I've come up with for the XTC but as you say I have no idea if it bears any relationship to the larger controller.  Maybe we just need to have a beer over it.

Well, the idea of having a beer over it is the most appealing for sure...  :)

That being said, i have the XTC and would love a copy of the editor file you ended up with that gave you the functionality you wanted.

Also, that beer might have to wait a minute or two since i moved to Savannah.  :)  That being said, i'll be up your way in October so i'll try to come find you.  I owe you a beer for that snafu i caused at Nat Geo anyway....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 06:38:14 PM »

I thought that was you over there asking the questions.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 02:38:43 PM »

Brian, I posted a copy of the Xtc editor settings I used on the Behinger forum.  Let me know what if anything it does if you load it.  I'm still sorting out all the secret handshake elements of this product.

That being said, i have the XTC and would love a copy of the editor file you ended up with that gave you the functionality you wanted.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber