ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Rocks Amphitheater  (Read 3152 times)

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
Red Rocks Amphitheater
« on: August 15, 2018, 02:53:50 PM »

Went to Red Rocks last night as a punter to see the LSD tour.  First time to this incredible venue.  Sound was excellent.  PA was L'Acoustics.  Appeared to be 4 subs at the top with 8 K2 hung below per side, plus 4 more subs on the deck and 4 Arcs on top for near field, plus some frontfills.  Curious, does anyone know if this is a house installed rig or if tours have to haul in their own rig for every show?  Load in/out looks to be a doozy.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Red Rocks Amphitheater
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 02:57:38 PM »

Went to Red Rocks last night as a punter to see the LSD tour.  First time to this incredible venue.  Sound was excellent.  PA was L'Acoustics.  Appeared to be 4 subs at the top with 8 K2 hung below per side, plus 4 more subs on the deck and 4 Arcs on top for near field, plus some frontfills.  Curious, does anyone know if this is a house installed rig or if tours have to haul in their own rig for every show?  Load in/out looks to be a doozy.

The four "subs" at the top of each hang were very likely K1 tops, and not subs. I know getting to the top rows of the venue are tough to begin with, so I would be hard pressed to see a reason to further reduce your trim height by adding subs to the top of a hang.

AFAIK, PA is brought in on a per-show basis. Been seeing press on lots of shows there using either K1/K2 or d&b SL depending on the provider/show. Brown Note does a lot there.

Steve Payne

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 03:05:53 PM »

The four "subs" at the top of each hang were very likely K1 tops, and not subs. I know getting to the top rows of the venue are tough to begin with, so I would be hard pressed to see a reason to further reduce your trim height by adding subs to the top of a hang.

AFAIK, PA is brought in on a per-show basis. Been seeing press on lots of shows there using either K1/K2 or d&b SL depending on the provider/show. Brown Note does a lot there.

hmmm.  not familiar with what K1 looks like.  Top boxes appeared to be rectangular , however, K1 at the top would make sense.  I was puzzling over how in the world they were getting good vertical coverage on that steep of a rake with only 8 mid hi boxes aside.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:

Steve Payne

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 06:54:58 PM »

Got the scoop from Steve Earle's FOH guy.  PA was Dwight's touring rig.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 07:22:05 PM »

hmmm.  not familiar with what K1 looks like.  Top boxes appeared to be rectangular , however, K1 at the top would make sense.  I was puzzling over how in the world they were getting good vertical coverage on that steep of a rake with only 8 mid hi boxes aside.

K1 is rectangular with a vertical "V" notch in the middle; I think the subwoofer is the same size but flat (without the notch).

The profile of the K2 is trapezoid.

I've seen a fair number of touring rigs with 6-8 K1 on top, 4-8 K2 as under-hang, and K2 for side hangs.  It makes a LOT of sound.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John P. Farrell

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 12:32:28 AM »

Last 2 times I've been there I had Clearwing supply the PA.  K1 over K2, which is a very common set up that does indeed produce a "lot of sound", lol.  Its a fun venue when the weather cooperates.

JF
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

Justin Segbers

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 07:52:21 AM »

Got the scoop from Steve Earle's FOH guy.  PA was Dwight's touring rig.

Truck dock is down the mountain a bit.  Semi's are unloaded there and gear is brought up on stake beds. 

Its a painful in and out. 

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 04:19:53 PM »

Truck dock is down the mountain a bit.  Semi's are unloaded there and gear is brought up on stake beds. 

Its a painful in and out.

Still?  I thought they fixed that many years ago after I worked there (1980's).  And yes it was PITA.  I broke a rear end backing a 24' box truck up that winding ramp.

Steve Payne

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 08:29:08 AM »

Still?  I thought they fixed that many years ago after I worked there (1980's).  And yes it was PITA.  I broke a rear end backing a 24' box truck up that winding ramp.

Ouch.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 09:16:46 AM »

Load in/out still the same cross load deal but with a dock at the bottom.
Still rains every time around 3pm..lol.
Catering still awesome!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 09:16:46 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.