ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Self Help: How to tell a loved one they're coiling cables wrong  (Read 3941 times)

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Self Help: How to tell a loved one they're coiling cables wrong
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 02:11:18 PM »

Oh, so close to home...

https://thehardtimes.net/hardstyle/how-to-tell-a-loved-one-theyre-coiling-cables-wrong/

The illustration says it all. -F

Ha ha - funny.

I have a friend who comes to most local shows.. She watches my iPads and my station when I need to move away from it and looks after me with ordering drinks and food etc.
At the end of the night she likes to help out and over time she has learned what she should and shouldn't attempt. However, when it comes to cables, it takes her probably 20 times longer to coil cables than us - I can have pretty much all of them coiled in the time it takes for her to coil 1 or 2.
I have showed her over-under many times and she can do it but SLOWLY.
She is a good sport and laughs at herself whilst watching me as I sometimes grab one from her and do it myself because she has got herself in such a pickle.
At least she knows what she should be doing and gives it a good go.
I store her cables separately so the next day I can quickly re-do them.
She is my friend - this is how I handle it.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 04:25:51 AM »

I do the same thing with my helpers, lol.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 08:01:46 AM »

Ha ha - funny.

I have a friend who comes to most local shows.. She watches my iPads and my station when I need to move away from it and looks after me with ordering drinks and food etc.
At the end of the night she likes to help out and over time she has learned what she should and shouldn't attempt. However, when it comes to cables, it takes her probably 20 times longer to coil cables than us - I can have pretty much all of them coiled in the time it takes for her to coil 1 or 2.
I have showed her over-under many times and she can do it but SLOWLY.
She is a good sport and laughs at herself whilst watching me as I sometimes grab one from her and do it myself because she has got herself in such a pickle.
At least she knows what she should be doing and gives it a good go.
She is my friend - this is how I handle it.....
1 band I worked with got a "price break"
I packed, but they loaded, and unloaded the truck. My gear, and theirs. At the end of the night, I just lined up everything in order, and backed the truck to the door.
The drummers girlfriend (go figure) was an ace at over-under.
First (and only) time I showed her, I put about 4 wraps on, and she said "OK, I got it"
SHE insisted that anyone else "helping" was to just plop the cables down on the stage. By the time I struck FOH, the "boys" had the stage cleared, and she had the cables done.
From last note, we could be out the door in 1/2 hour.
Sweet.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 03:01:40 PM »

1 band I worked with got a "price break"
I packed, but they loaded, and unloaded the truck. My gear, and theirs. At the end of the night, I just lined up everything in order, and backed the truck to the door.
The drummers girlfriend (go figure) was an ace at over-under.
First (and only) time I showed her, I put about 4 wraps on, and she said "OK, I got it"
SHE insisted that anyone else "helping" was to just plop the cables down on the stage. By the time I struck FOH, the "boys" had the stage cleared, and she had the cables done.
From last note, we could be out the door in 1/2 hour.
Sweet.
Chris.

My patient, kind wife "Saint Elaine" as my friends call her was my stagehand for a gig at a rowdy Cleveland venue that now mostly caters to metal heads.  We were providing for a regional metal act and it had been a long night.  I had rented a pile of subs and was pushing the out to the loading area behind the stage while my wife was rolling cables and putting the stage up.  The drummer stood about 6'5" probably 350lb had a sleevless shirt on, almost completely tat'd up with innumerable body piercings (he had been offering to show his Prince Albert off all night) puts his very sweaty arm around my wife and asks her "when you said I do was this your dream" it was beyond funny.  Guy had a great sense of timing.  He knew how imposing he looked and he countered it with great humor and incredible graciousness to fans, crew and band mates.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 04:01:28 PM »

Every year for several years we donated the use of a mic with a 150' cable to the basketball team for their banquet.  I didn't know why they needed a cable that long, but as you can guess it came back either "arm wrapped" of in a tangled pile.  One year we carefully showed the person picking up the cable how to properly wrap the cable, and said he understood and would bring it back correctly wrapped.  Instead, it came back in a randomly wound up ball - about the size of a basketball - with the mic still attached at the center!

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 05:10:12 PM »

Every year for several years we donated the use of a mic with a 150' cable to the basketball team for their banquet.  I didn't know why they needed a cable that long, but as you can guess it came back either "arm wrapped" of in a tangled pile.  One year we carefully showed the person picking up the cable how to properly wrap the cable, and said he understood and would bring it back correctly wrapped.  Instead, it came back in a randomly wound up ball - about the size of a basketball - with the mic still attached at the center!
Hopefully you started charging for this rental.

I get that they're a "good cause," but they clearly do not respect you, your time or your support.

Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 06:11:30 PM »

My patient, kind wife "Saint Elaine" as my friends call her was my stagehand for a gig at a rowdy Cleveland venue that now mostly caters to metal heads.  We were providing for a regional metal act and it had been a long night.  I had rented a pile of subs and was pushing the out to the loading area behind the stage while my wife was rolling cables and putting the stage up.  The drummer stood about 6'5" probably 350lb had a sleevless shirt on, almost completely tat'd up with innumerable body piercings (he had been offering to show his Prince Albert off all night) puts his very sweaty arm around my wife and asks her "when you said I do was this your dream" it was beyond funny.  Guy had a great sense of timing.  He knew how imposing he looked and he countered it with great humor and incredible graciousness to fans, crew and band mates.

I hear ya Scott. Some of the most imposing, and scary people you have ever SEEN are sweethearts waiting to "get out". I've had more issues with pop groups than the rockers or metal heads. And forget the "kiddies". Can't even talk to the ones that think the world owes them a career.  There are some exceptions....
Chris.

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 12:25:01 PM »

And forget the "kiddies". Can't even talk to the ones that think the world owes them a career. Chris.

Or their Moms

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 12:51:18 PM »

Or their Moms
Hahah
Those wern't the "Kiddies" I was thinking of....
More the under 30 bunch. Hey, their roommate said they sound great, right?
Bedroom studio banging out "song" after "song"....
Chris.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 12:51:18 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.