ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure QLXD Handling Noise  (Read 3149 times)

Chris Poynter

• www.chrispoynter.ca
Shure QLXD Handling Noise
« on: August 14, 2018, 11:02:29 PM »

I just upgraded from a Sennheiser EW-D1/835 wireless microphone to a Shure QLXD/SM58. I use the mic for MC work and for people giving speeches at events. I have a KSM9 head on order as well, which I'm looking forward to receiving.

The QLXD is an awesome system and a much needed upgrade from my the 2.4 Ghz unit I was using, but...

Why the hell is there so much handling noise??? The Sennheiser mic had a “thick-feeling” metal and there was almost no handling noise. The metal on my QLXD handheld feels thinner and more “tin-like” and it transfers a LOT of noise. I’m not sure how else to describe it, but I really notice it when somebody who isn't comfortable holding a microphone uses it... when they change their grip, shift from hand to hand, etc.

Hell, it even picked up the sound of my wedding ring clinking against it the other day, when I picked it up. Like... it actually came faintly through my speakers!

I bought the unit from an authorized reseller, but I emailed Shure (here in Canada) today to confirm that it was indeed an authentic Shure product, not a counterfeit. They looked at my photos of the mic and receiver, said the serial numbers were genuine, and offered to forward my email onto their tech support team or whatever.

I thought I'd just pop in here to see if this is normal for the QLXD handhelds. I popped on a Beta58 head today as well, and it didn't change anything.

Thanks everyone. :)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Shure QLXD Handling Noise
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 01:54:26 AM »

I would say it's normal for pretty much any mic, some just more so than others. It is more prevalent with cheaper mics for a multitude of reasons. The predominant reason is probably due to lack of shock absorption or element isolation. This would be followed closely by uninsulated bodies/shells that are resonant and conduct the handling noise into the mic element.

When you look at higher dollar mics, they typically have better elements which are more able to reject noise and the shock mount/mic isolation fixture is of course better. Many mics will also use goop, silicone, or hot glue to insulate and reduce handling noise. All the little things add up. With wireless mics the issue is harder to deal with though. There are other components that have to fit into a reasonably sized shell. Lower end product lines are going to be fraught with more issues like handling noise because in order to get to the $$$$ amount they have to cut corners. The quality of the sound may have been made as a focus, but to save a couple bucks, they slacked off on the body engineering to reduce handling noise.

I say its normal simply because most wireless mics do have some handling noise. I feel that Sennheiser provides the best value for the dollar and presents a better product than sure at the same dollar amount. I think this is possible for them because they don't have a large number of model lines and don't change the model's lines very often. They made a good product initially and let it ride longer.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Thomas Le

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 04:44:53 PM »

Hopefully there's a LCF engaged on the mixer?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 05:34:22 PM »

For those who have both_

Are the ULXD HH transmitters any better with handling noise?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Poynter

• www.chrispoynter.ca
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 06:28:24 PM »

Hopefully there's a LCF engaged on the mixer?

It doesn't make a difference. It's actually the higher frequencies that are getting picked up too. Like, if I run my hand down the mic, it picks up the sound of my hand sliding. It feels to me like maybe the type of lightweight metal and paint combination is contributing to it? I don't know anything about noise isolation with the physical body of a microphone though.

All I know is that compared to my much lower-end Sennheiser mic system (EW-D1, metal body) and my lower-end Shure system (PGX-D, plastic body), this one picks up a great deal more noise from people's hands. Not an issue when I use it personally, but for inexperienced MCs and people giving speeches, it's noticeable.

Just hoping to find out if this is the case with all QLXD handhelds (maybe somebody on here with one could test it out for me quickly?) or if there is something wrong with mine so I can send it back under warranty.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 06:33:48 PM by Chris Poynter »

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 07:40:44 PM »

The ULXD is very good with handling noise. I haven't noticed it to be any more than a typical good quality mic.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 08:45:42 PM »

Wouldn’t a proper gate fix this? Unless the handling noise is heard while the gate is open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Poynter

• www.chrispoynter.ca
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 10:44:45 PM »

Wouldn’t a proper gate fix this? Unless the handling noise is heard while the gate is open.

Lots of things could remedy the issue, but what I'm wanting to find out is if this level of handling noise is considered normal for the QLXD series.

If so, it's unacceptable (IMHO), given the price.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 10:58:43 PM by Chris Poynter »

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 11:00:46 PM »

Lots of things could remedy the issue, but what I'm wanting to find out is if this level of handling noise is considered normal for the QLXD series.

If so, it's unacceptable (IMHO), given the price.

Ahhh my bad. I misunderstood your question.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 11:03:04 PM »

Chris,

We deploy multiple QLXD handhelds daily and I do not notice handling noise with normal use.
--Airport Circle Sound Reinforcement, LLC--

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 01:28:09 AM »

I've not noticed any issues with my QLXD units with handling noise.  They are actually better than the ULX (non-D) units that they replaced, which were pretty darned good as well.

What kind of gain levels are you using with your mics?  If your gain is extremely high, and your sound source is very low, that will bring out handling noise in any mic that you're going to use. 
Brian Jojade

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 01:27:21 PM »

Hopefully you bought from an established trusted  dealer
 there's  lots of counterfeits out there
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 01:35:39 PM »

Hopefully you bought from an established trusted  dealer
 there's  lots of counterfeits out there
............ since the OP SAID in their initial post that they purchased from an authorized reseller...

That being said, if you purchase a brand new wireless system and it's bunches cheaper than what others are selling it for, and/or it's shipping from China, then don't be surprised when it doesn't perform like you'd hope it would.

For the record, if you are ever worried, you can ALWAYS call Shure or Sennheiser direct to verify that someone is an Authorized Reseller of their products. I think Sennheiser used to also maintain a bad list on their website; i.e. "These businesses are NOT authorized resellers and/or have been caught dealing in counterfeit items."

All this aside, we have both QLX-D and ULX-D and have never noticed any excessive "handling noise" to them. Yeah, you rub the mic hard, it's going to make noise, but just from picking up the microphone to use it? Nope.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 08:27:10 AM »

I've noticed a lot of handling noise with Shure mics (wired and wireless).  Not much noise at all with the Sennheisers (both wired and wireless). 

Chris Poynter

• www.chrispoynter.ca
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 05:38:59 PM »

QLXD Handling Noise: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dsggr4s2v0p9ep/QLXD%20Handling%20Noise.mp4?dl=0

I'm wondering if what I demonstrated here in the video is considered normal handling noise for this wireless system.

The sound for this video was taken directly out of my mixer with no compression or anything applied. Actually, I forgot to turn off the bass rolloff, so in real life the handling noise would be a bit higher, I suppose.

The gain on my QLXD receiver was set to 0dB.

My lower-end Shure PGXD / SM58 handhelds do not have this kind of handling noise. My Sennheiser EW-D1 / 835 handheld didn't either.

Please listen with headphones or speakers, i.e. not just your laptop speakers! :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 05:47:40 PM by Chris Poynter »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 05:38:59 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.