ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF ART 745-A MK4 or yamaha dsr115 situation please read urgent  (Read 16093 times)

andy foster

Re: RCF ART 745-A MK4 or yamaha dsr115 situation please read urgent
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2018, 02:37:05 PM »

Why does the HF have to be "ear shattering"?  Sounds like a rig, DJ and venue I'd rather avoid.

i suspect you may not be in the 18-24 year old bracket, i completely understand.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2018, 02:39:07 PM »

i suspect you may not be in the 18-24 year old bracket, i completely understand.
what? what?

j/k lol.

(get off my lawn!)

But really, I hope you are going to figure out WHY you're blowing these drivers. Otherwise, until you fix that problem, it appears that it will keep on happening.......

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Steve Garris

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2018, 02:49:11 PM »

While I agree with all of the comments regarding the problem of blowing high frequencies drivers, and not worrying about what the stack looks like, I don't believe 15" two-way speakers are inferior in any way over the same branded 12" two-way. I believe it is a personal preference.

This is from my experience, doing a hundred shows a year on both types of cabinets. I have the PRX and SRX 15's, and have compared them many times against my DSR112's which I use for monitors. I always prefer the sound of the 15's, even when used with sub's, which is most of the time.

Having said that, the OP needs to determine why he's blowing up drivers.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2018, 02:56:11 PM »

While I agree with all of the comments regarding the problem of blowing high frequencies drivers, and not worrying about what the stack looks like, I don't believe 15" two-way speakers are inferior in any way over the same branded 12" two-way. I believe it is a personal preference.

This is from my experience, doing a hundred shows a year on both types of cabinets. I have the PRX and SRX 15's, and have compared them many times against my DSR112's which I use for monitors. I always prefer the sound of the 15's, even when used with sub's, which is most of the time.

Having said that, the OP needs to determine why he's blowing up drivers.
Exactly. If the OP blew the PRX, he needs to go up a level from the alternatives he is shopping. None of the speakers mentioned are going to survive whatever blew the PRX.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2018, 03:00:05 PM »

like i said, they happen to have the dsr112 on the shelf aswell so itll be a 4 way shoot out dsr112 dsr115 prx815w rcf 745a - lucky me!

Speaking as another DJ, my favorite tops for mixing at club levels have 1.4 exit compression drivers over 15s. I know that technically speaking 12s should sound better than 15s over subs, but at high SPLs they just don't when playing what I do most - contemporary hip-hop and reggaetion.

Vocal projection (and at more moderate levels than where we operate) are a plus for 12s and a high priority for most in this forum, but to me that's really n/a.

I've never had the pleasure of mixing on an RCF system, but I would expect the 745s to easily win your shoot-out if you get the opportunity to  really open them up in space. Looking forward to what you find out.

andy foster

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2018, 03:05:24 PM »

The 1st set of prx went bang after a power issue At the venue; the second went at a gig through reasons unknown.

Today we set up the speakers to be tested; all ran in high pass over a RCF 8003mk2 sub.

1 x dsr112   £789
1x qsc 152   £1144
1x rcf 745a   £1047

The jbl prx815 was not tested due to time constraints

the Yamaha was immediately discarded as it was obvious to all in attendance it was out of its depth, it wasn’t as loud and had severe clarity issues compared with the other 2, perhaps this is reflected in the price?

The decision between the other 2 was extremely difficult; I would say the qsc got louder than the rcf a little but with certain harshness.

The qsc cabinet was more awkward to move and 10kg heavier but seemed more, it took me and the guy in the shop to comfortably put it on top of the pole although I rekon I could have done it but with a struggle.

The RCF art 745a mk4 had a smoother sound quality about it, I felt I could listen to it at loud volumes equal to the qsc but for a lot longer, it didn’t hurt my ears the way the qsc did. But I like the qsc hurt my ears, it was loud very loud and that was what I was looking, something loud that I could dial back.

I struggled with this dilemma for a little while, In the end I went for a better smoother sound quality of the rcf, it was also cheaper and I felt more comfortable moving it on my own due to the 10kg saving.

I ad every intention of coming home with a 12/15” Yamaha dsr as the price difference was minimal and the extra payment on top of the prx palatable.

This Quickly became a non starter and a further £700 was handed over for the part exchange on top of the prx.

Ill report back 27 august when Ive had them out in the wild, hopefully that 4” voice coil on the compression driver will see me through many more years of graft.

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2018, 03:16:51 PM »

Ill report back 27 august when Ive had them out in the wild...

Thanks for reporting back, and yes please continue to do so. We don't hear from DJs all that often in this forum.

Didn't know QSCs would be included, but I'm not surprised that you detected harshness when they were pushed.

Steve Garris

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2018, 03:21:18 PM »

Nothing better than a direct comparison, provided all things are equal. Good job.

Funny thing is, there are many here who don't like the looks of the RCF box you purchased! I would have to hear them myself, but most reviews are highly positive regarding the sound quality and SPL.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2018, 04:04:27 PM »

The 1st set of prx went bang after a power issue At the venue; the second went at a gig through reasons unknown.

Today we set up the speakers to be tested; all ran in high pass over a RCF 8003mk2 sub.

1 x dsr112   £789
1x qsc 152   £1144
1x rcf 745a   £1047

The jbl prx815 was not tested due to time constraints

the Yamaha was immediately discarded as it was obvious to all in attendance it was out of its depth, it wasn’t as loud and had severe clarity issues compared with the other 2, perhaps this is reflected in the price?

The decision between the other 2 was extremely difficult; I would say the qsc got louder than the rcf a little but with certain harshness.

The qsc cabinet was more awkward to move and 10kg heavier but seemed more, it took me and the guy in the shop to comfortably put it on top of the pole although I rekon I could have done it but with a struggle.

The RCF art 745a mk4 had a smoother sound quality about it, I felt I could listen to it at loud volumes equal to the qsc but for a lot longer, it didn’t hurt my ears the way the qsc did. But I like the qsc hurt my ears, it was loud very loud and that was what I was looking, something loud that I could dial back.

I struggled with this dilemma for a little while, In the end I went for a better smoother sound quality of the rcf, it was also cheaper and I felt more comfortable moving it on my own due to the 10kg saving.

I ad every intention of coming home with a 12/15” Yamaha dsr as the price difference was minimal and the extra payment on top of the prx palatable.

This Quickly became a non starter and a further £700 was handed over for the part exchange on top of the prx.

Ill report back 27 august when Ive had them out in the wild, hopefully that 4” voice coil on the compression driver will see me through many more years of graft.
I have DSR112 AND QSC KW115 as well as KW153.

The KW115 sound lime a kazoo compared to the DSR.  The DSR can almost keep up with the three way.

Not sure why we have such a gap.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2018, 04:07:31 PM »

I have DSR112 AND QSC KW115 as well as KW153.

The KW115 sound lime a kazoo compared to the DSR.  The DSR can almost keep up with the three way.

Not sure why we have such a gap.

I meant 152's. Looking forward to your report.

I think you were always leaning to the RCF,  which I have not heard however most anything RCF I have run has been very good.  There is nothing wrong with getting what you wanted.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2018, 04:07:31 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.