ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF ART 745-A MK4 or yamaha dsr115 situation please read urgent  (Read 15845 times)

andy foster

currently have 2 jbl prx815w tops over 4 rcf 8003 mk2 subs, and it was quite the system

how ever a tweeter has blown and i need replacments quick, cant wait for warranty repair.

my first choice would be jbl srx15p but these are not available.

what is ready to collect at shop:

yamaha dsr 115 136db 1400w £900
ART 745-A MK4  133db 1300w £1100 (guy in shop swears this is the best option)
QSC equivalent

as these will always run in high pass the descision is not so easily made, it is the specs on the compression drivers that has got me thinking. rcf is 1.4" with a 4" voice coil vs the yamaha 2" voice coil 1" throat.

on the bear face of the figures and description i just do not understand which would be the best choice.

the music is strictly house music, ive got the bass sorted and just need ear shattering highs that i can dial back to suit and leave some headroom.

buying in next couple of days, desperate for help

ps, should i insist on the srx15p no matter what?!

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:32:16 AM by andy foster »

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
Re: RCF ART 745-A MK4 or yamaha dsr115 situation please read urgent
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 09:56:13 AM »

currently have 2 jbl prx815w tops over 4 rcf 8003 mk2 subs, and it was quite the system

how ever a tweeter has blown and i need replacments quick, cant wait for warranty repair.

QSC equivalent

as these will always run in high pass the descision is not so easily made, it is the specs on the compression drivers that has got me thinking. rcf is 1.4" with a 4" voice coil vs the yamaha 2" voice coil 1" throat.

on the bear face of the figures and description i just do not understand which would be the best choice.

the music is strictly house music, ive got the bass sorted and just need ear shattering highs that i can dial back to suit and leave some headroom.

If the urgency is just due to an upcoming gig, isn't there any chance of hiring instead of buying, to get you time to have the warranty repair on your current boxes sorted?
Would be a lot cheaper than buying a whole new pair of tops just because of one blown tweeter.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 10:20:06 AM »

If the urgency is just due to an upcoming gig, isn't there any chance of hiring instead of buying, to get you time to have the warranty repair on your current boxes sorted?
Would be a lot cheaper than buying a whole new pair of tops just because of one blown tweeter.

+1

And... if you're always using them on top of the 8003 subs, why go with 15s? I'd be looking at the HD32a or DSR112 for top duties. You're probably passing them anywhere above 80Hz, so a 15" mid-bass seems unnecessary.

Sean Zurbrick

• My band
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 10:22:17 AM »

To answer your question, as the owner of a pair of 745s that's what I'd choose. Fantastic compression driver in that box and I love the 650 Hz crossover point. With a beefy woofer, they also handle bass well which is nice if used without subs.

That said, it does seem silly to buy if you have any other option - renting, hiring, borrowing. Unless you know it isn't the case, there's a decent chance you just need a diaphragm replacement, which is likely something you can do yourself.

To test either make extension leads from the box that has the problem and run to the compression driver in the one that's working OR swap power modules and see if the compression driver is working. If you find out the compression driver is bad get it fixed or replace yourself. Even if you have to pay for it yourself it will be 5% the cost of buying a pair of new speakers. Even if if a new diaphragm doesn't fix the problem, it's not a bad idea to have a spare in case one does blow.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:25:33 AM by Sean Zurbrick »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 12:49:20 PM »

QSC equivalent

Or try this: work with your service center, buy a new diaphragm and have them keep the old one for JBL warranty, and when the new parts are approved, you have a spare.

It seems very silly - in the Monty Python manner - to purchase a pair of new loudspeakers because you have an HF failure.  Hire another JBL or a pair of something else to get you through the gig.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

andy foster

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 05:36:36 AM »

oooops should have said i can return both jbl tops as they are only a couple of months old, and swap for any of the above with a slight extra payment.

i cant wait for the warranty reapir and would be more than happy to get my hands on a better pair of speakers, are they better though?

so which speaker will provide the best top end? i will never run them on there own. they will always be above a single or double rcf 8003mk2.

many thanks for the replies guys.

the rcf is a plastic box with some great internals or so it seems.

the yamaha dsr115 has a 7 year warranty and also good specs.

I would like to say i used a set of jbl 712 prx for years on my mobile disco rig and i absolutley loved them, i got a job recenlty in a bar where they were running a pair of yamaha dxr112 and i have to say reading these forums i was expeccting alot more from the dxr. simply no comparison on the yamaha dxr vs jbl prx range. the yamaha is one flat sounding speaker and this after many months of comparison.

i hope the dsr115 will not disapoint me in the same way the dxr112 did.

im only choosing 15" boxes so the stack looks good on the eye, ive got a couple of prx712 and they look lost ontop of the subs. even though i know they sound just as good if not better.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 05:39:42 AM by andy foster »

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 08:28:39 AM »

im only choosing 15" boxes so the stack looks good on the eye, ive got a couple of prx712 and they look lost ontop of the subs. even though i know they sound just as good if not better.

If this the kind of reasoning you use to choose a speaker, why even ask for advice here?
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Sean Zurbrick

• My band
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 09:11:26 AM »

Strange logic for choosing a 15" speaker aside, IMO the RCF is JBL SRX level or above at 2/3 the weight. You just need to get over the stigma of the plastic box and be OK with the aesthetic. One downside might be service and support. It may be better where you're located, but in the USA it's a joke.

Steve Crump

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 09:45:03 AM »

One downside might be service and support. It may be better where you're located, but in the USA it's a joke.

I must be the exception. I am in the US and I sent back an Evox 8 for repairs and it went well.

Sean Zurbrick

• My band
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 10:59:05 AM »

I must be the exception. I am in the US and I sent back an Evox 8 for repairs and it went well.

I'm glad it went well. Maybe they are finally getting their act together. My experiences were from 2008 to 2014 or 15. Just crazy stuff that I've gone into a bit on forums before, but don't want to rehash. The short story is, it was an unorganized mess.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 10:59:05 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.