ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF ART 745-A MK4 or yamaha dsr115 situation please read urgent  (Read 16104 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: RCF ART 745-A MK4 or yamaha dsr115 situation please read urgent
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2018, 04:12:56 PM »

Your impression of the Yamaha HF is 100% opposite of the experiences posted here.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2018, 04:14:20 PM »

The 1st set of prx went bang after a power issue At the venue; the second went at a gig through reasons unknown.

Today we set up the speakers to be tested; all ran in high pass over a RCF 8003mk2 sub.

1 x dsr112   £789
1x qsc 152   £1144
1x rcf 745a   £1047

The jbl prx815 was not tested due to time constraints

the Yamaha was immediately discarded as it was obvious to all in attendance it was out of its depth, it wasn’t as loud and had severe clarity issues compared with the other 2, perhaps this is reflected in the price?

The decision between the other 2 was extremely difficult; I would say the qsc got louder than the rcf a little but with certain harshness.

The qsc cabinet was more awkward to move and 10kg heavier but seemed more, it took me and the guy in the shop to comfortably put it on top of the pole although I rekon I could have done it but with a struggle.

The RCF art 745a mk4 had a smoother sound quality about it, I felt I could listen to it at loud volumes equal to the qsc but for a lot longer, it didn’t hurt my ears the way the qsc did. But I like the qsc hurt my ears, it was loud very loud and that was what I was looking, something loud that I could dial back.

I struggled with this dilemma for a little while, In the end I went for a better smoother sound quality of the rcf, it was also cheaper and I felt more comfortable moving it on my own due to the 10kg saving.

I ad every intention of coming home with a 12/15” Yamaha dsr as the price difference was minimal and the extra payment on top of the prx palatable.

This Quickly became a non starter and a further £700 was handed over for the part exchange on top of the prx.

Ill report back 27 august when Ive had them out in the wild, hopefully that 4” voice coil on the compression driver will see me through many more years of graft.
Andy,

Please bear in mind that you cannot simply unplug one speaker and plug another in to compare. Some speakers require more input to reach the same SPL, the DSR being one of them. Sometimes to accurately compare tops you need to dial the sub back a bit  and push the source output up to reach the same overall SPL for a proper test.

And you may be the first person ever on this professional forum to state that the DSR has clarity issues. I think I speak for every DSR owner on here to say that statement confounds me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Greg Harwood

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2018, 04:40:57 PM »

The 1st set of prx went bang after a power issue At the venue; the second went at a gig through reasons unknown.

Today we set up the speakers to be tested; all ran in high pass over a RCF 8003mk2 sub.

1 x dsr112   £789
1x qsc 152   £1144
1x rcf 745a   £1047

The jbl prx815 was not tested due to time constraints

the Yamaha was immediately discarded as it was obvious to all in attendance it was out of its depth, it wasn’t as loud and had severe clarity issues compared with the other 2, perhaps this is reflected in the price?

The decision between the other 2 was extremely difficult; I would say the qsc got louder than the rcf a little but with certain harshness.

The qsc cabinet was more awkward to move and 10kg heavier but seemed more, it took me and the guy in the shop to comfortably put it on top of the pole although I rekon I could have done it but with a struggle.

The RCF art 745a mk4 had a smoother sound quality about it, I felt I could listen to it at loud volumes equal to the qsc but for a lot longer, it didn’t hurt my ears the way the qsc did. But I like the qsc hurt my ears, it was loud very loud and that was what I was looking, something loud that I could dial back.

I struggled with this dilemma for a little while, In the end I went for a better smoother sound quality of the rcf, it was also cheaper and I felt more comfortable moving it on my own due to the 10kg saving.

I ad every intention of coming home with a 12/15” Yamaha dsr as the price difference was minimal and the extra payment on top of the prx palatable.

This Quickly became a non starter and a further £700 was handed over for the part exchange on top of the prx.

Ill report back 27 august when Ive had them out in the wild, hopefully that 4” voice coil on the compression driver will see me through many more years of graft.

Something must have been wrong with the DSR112.  Those speakers get crazy loud and stay clean and clear.  I have 6 of them and have never been disappointed.
Greg H.

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2018, 08:27:52 PM »

IME a "harsh" speakers tends to sound louder because of the distortion, even at the same SPL. Some people like that, or at least are so used to it that it doesn't sound loud enough if the audio is clear of distortion.

I highly doubt that the QSC is louder than the RCF, if measured objectively at a reasonable, specified level of THD.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2018, 09:23:56 PM »

...I hope you are going to figure out WHY you're blowing these drivers. Otherwise, until you fix that problem, it appears that it will keep on happening.......

If he is anything like the local dj's in my area, it is due to distortion from cheap mixers at high volume. I believe distorted music generates more heat than clean music, especially with busy edm.

Apparently many dj's have trouble noticing distortion when it occurs because they spend most of their time behind the speakers, hearing only monitors.

OP, Good luck with the new boxes.
Member since 2005.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2018, 09:47:59 PM »

I have DSR112 AND QSC KW115 as well as KW153.

The KW115 sound lime a kazoo compared to the DSR.  The DSR can almost keep up with the three way.

Not sure why we have such a gap.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Hey Scott,

I have a neighbor a few doors down that has a KW153 over KW181 rig.  I agree with your assessment.  The DSR112 nearly keeps up with the much larger 3 way speaker when over subs and crossed over at around 90hz.  Anyone who owns DSR's and other speakers can attest to how loud they can get and stay clear.

Having said this, I have never heard a bad thing said about the sound quality of the RCF745a.

andy foster

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2018, 08:48:04 AM »

hi folks,

Let me be clear, There was absolutley nothing wrong with the yamaha clarity, i listened to this first and it was fine.

when i say the yamaha had clarity issues..... this became apparent up against the rcf, and the yamaha was dropped from the test firly quickly as it appeared it was in the wrong race altogether as the price would suggest  perhaps.

so again, yes the yamaha is a good loud clear speaker, but not as good as the rcf in any department.

yes im a dj, how dissapointing haha, but i am also a small sound and light company of around 5 years. I started out with budget gear and gradually progressed up to what you see now.

I dont pretend to be an expert but i do know what im listening to and what sounds good or not when house music is being belted through a system.

the choice was extremely tuff, as i said i also like asthetics  in my rigs, when i put them up i like the customer to like what he sees before i even turn it on.

so the choice was even tuffer, the qsc was hitting hard at max volume and i knew it would look best ontop of my subs, but in the end i went for the much lighter (clever carry handles) slightly cheaper but oh so ugly RCF.

Now there home i am learning to love my new babys with the face only a mother could love, all things said i have made the right choice for me.

if i come back at the end of august (2 gigs later) with 2 blown rcf tweeters then i willl fall on my "DJ" sword and own up!

Scott Bolt

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2018, 02:53:32 PM »

hi folks,

Let me be clear, There was absolutley nothing wrong with the yamaha clarity, i listened to this first and it was fine.

when i say the yamaha had clarity issues..... this became apparent up against the rcf, and the yamaha was dropped from the test firly quickly as it appeared it was in the wrong race altogether as the price would suggest  perhaps.

so again, yes the yamaha is a good loud clear speaker, but not as good as the rcf in any department.

yes im a dj, how dissapointing haha, but i am also a small sound and light company of around 5 years. I started out with budget gear and gradually progressed up to what you see now.

I dont pretend to be an expert but i do know what im listening to and what sounds good or not when house music is being belted through a system.

the choice was extremely tuff, as i said i also like asthetics  in my rigs, when i put them up i like the customer to like what he sees before i even turn it on.

so the choice was even tuffer, the qsc was hitting hard at max volume and i knew it would look best ontop of my subs, but in the end i went for the much lighter (clever carry handles) slightly cheaper but oh so ugly RCF.

Now there home i am learning to love my new babys with the face only a mother could love, all things said i have made the right choice for me.

if i come back at the end of august (2 gigs later) with 2 blown rcf tweeters then i willl fall on my "DJ" sword and own up!
Hey Andy,

If you are doing DJ work, then I suspect that the RCF's with the much much better bottom end will serve your needs better (not to mention how silly light they are).  RCF has long been known for their smooth top end as well..... QSC K/KW ..... not so much.

I envy your rig.  Very nice indeed.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2018, 02:59:03 PM »

If I were you, I'd be looking at the RCF NXL-24a. You'll end up with a really fantastic rig. For a few bucks less you can get into the RCF NX-32 or NX-45, which is a wood box version of the ART boxes with big drivers.

RCF customer service and support has been great for me. They turn gear around in under a week and have been impressively responsive.

currently have 2 jbl prx815w tops over 4 rcf 8003 mk2 subs, and it was quite the system

how ever a tweeter has blown and i need replacments quick, cant wait for warranty repair.

my first choice would be jbl srx15p but these are not available.

what is ready to collect at shop:

yamaha dsr 115 136db 1400w £900
ART 745-A MK4  133db 1300w £1100 (guy in shop swears this is the best option)
QSC equivalent

as these will always run in high pass the descision is not so easily made, it is the specs on the compression drivers that has got me thinking. rcf is 1.4" with a 4" voice coil vs the yamaha 2" voice coil 1" throat.

on the bear face of the figures and description i just do not understand which would be the best choice.

the music is strictly house music, ive got the bass sorted and just need ear shattering highs that i can dial back to suit and leave some headroom.

buying in next couple of days, desperate for help

ps, should i insist on the srx15p no matter what?!
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2018, 03:05:51 PM »

There's an RCF HD box with the same drivers at the ART but with a full grille on the front. They were on display at InfoComm. Looks are much improved. There are also NX line boxes out with upgraded drivers, wood cabinets and full grille.

Nothing better than a direct comparison, provided all things are equal. Good job.

Funny thing is, there are many here who don't like the looks of the RCF box you purchased! I would have to hear them myself, but most reviews are highly positive regarding the sound quality and SPL.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2018, 03:05:51 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.