ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Has any heard the Bassboss DV12 used outdoors for music in the park type events?  (Read 8112 times)

Steve Crump

For $3k you could have a Yamaha DSR 112 mounted on a pole over a JTR Captivator 212 powered sub...coverage wouldn’t be as wide as the Bassboss box claims but would probably be 1.5x as loud with clarity.

When I posted this topic I just wanted to see if anyone is using the DV12 in live band reinforcement and wanted to read what their real world experience has been like. Haven't read much other then DJs commenting on other sites. The DV12 topic may be a bust.
Oh yeah, I have four of the JTR 212 pros and have only good things to say about those.. 

John Schalk

When I posted this topic I just wanted to see if anyone is using the DV12 in live band reinforcement and wanted to read what their real world experience has been like. Haven't read much other then DJs commenting on other sites. The DV12 topic may be a bust.
Oh yeah, I have four of the JTR 212 pros and have only good things to say about those..

Mike Pyle, who is a regular contributor here, had the Bassboss rig that I posted the link to.  He may have some experience with their other products so you could try reaching out to him directly.  I agree that most of the comments I've read about Bassboss products have been from DJs. 

I've looked at the Bassboss product line rather a lot lately, mostly at their subs, but also at their top boxes and I think that one challenge they face in the live sound world is rider acceptance.  The DV12 has an MSRP of $3k so the competition at that price range from more well known brands is pretty stiff.  Resale value is another concern.  And having to go to Texas to hear a demo :)  I do appreciate the fact that they post frequency response charts for all of their products; something the big boys don't always do anymore.

Edit to add the link below:
https://www.bassboss.com/demo-lition-tour/
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 12:11:11 PM by John Schalk »

Aaron Weidner

Mike Pyle, who is a regular contributor here, had the Bassboss rig that I posted the link to.  He may have some experience with their other products so you could try reaching out to him directly.  I agree that most of the comments I've read about Bassboss products have been from DJs. 

I've looked at the Bassboss product line rather a lot lately, mostly at their subs, but also at their top boxes and I think that one challenge they face in the live sound world is rider acceptance.  The DV12 has an MSRP of $3k so the competition at that price range from more well known brands is pretty stiff.  Resale value is another concern.  And having to go to Texas to hear a demo :)  I do appreciate the fact that they post frequency response charts for all of their products; something the big boys don't always do anymore.

Edit to add the link below:
https://www.bassboss.com/demo-lition-tour/

Most companies and individuals that own bassboss gear would probably be glad to give you a demo if you have the venue for it. They have also been frequenting DJ Expo in Atlantic City as well as Mobile Beat Las Vegas.

I have used mine for live music once. I will see if I can find video of it.  :)

Aaron Weidner

Not a fan of making a judgement from a phone video however you will note that it is very clear and coherent but not very loud.  Background noise easily gets on top of the program material.

A crowd of revelers would be very hard to get on top of without more PA.

I agree, I wish I had my external mic and some measurement equipment to give a more scientific result. It is a 2 way 12, and I was 170 yards from it. I didn't expect it to be loud but I was definitely surprised at how clear loud and deep it was at that distance.  :)

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland

I agree, I wish I had my external mic and some measurement equipment to give a more scientific result. It is a 2 way 12, and I was 170 yards from it. I didn't expect it to be loud but I was definitely surprised at how clear loud and deep it was at that distance.  :)

170 yards is -44dB relative to 1metre, so we definitely wouldn't expect massive volume anyway.
We also don't know if you were even pushing the cabs to their peak, so don't worry, nobody's judging the cabs too harshly based on your clip.

I'm sure Scott H is aware of these kinds of factors, and that'll be why he did say "Not a fan of making a judgement from a phone video..." up front.

Cheers,
David.

Aaron Weidner

170 yards is -44dB relative to 1metre, so we definitely wouldn't expect massive volume anyway.
We also don't know if you were even pushing the cabs to their peak, so don't worry, nobody's judging the cabs too harshly based on your clip.

I'm sure Scott H is aware of these kinds of factors, and that'll be why he did say "Not a fan of making a judgement from a phone video..." up front.

Cheers,
David.

Ah alright! I hope I didn't sound too aggressive. As you can see from my post count, I don't frequent here too often. :)
If it helps any, I was pushing them pretty hard but not maxed out into the limiter. I pushed them harder this past weekend. But, I was on a generator that was undersized so I was probably seeing low voltage limit.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland

Ah alright! I hope I didn't sound too aggressive. As you can see from my post count, I don't frequent here too often. :)

No worries, you didn't come off aggressive at all - I was just trying to clarify (for those less experienced as much as anything else) what some of the relevant factors are in interpreting such a demo video.
Hopefully, understanding those things makes it a little more useful to more people.
Cheers,
David.

Greg Harwood

I got to hear some Bassboss speakers and subs yesterday at a live demo.  It wasn't outside, but the DV12 indoors sounded fantastic and got really loud.  They were paired with their SSP118 (which is what I went to hear) and 2 DV12 and 2 SSP118 sounded better than any SOS system I've ever heard.  The DV12 is very smooth with a lot of clarity and stays clean no matter the volume.  The SSP118 was impressive as well.  It hits really hard and provides a nice tight punch....sounds incredible.  I currently have LS801P subs that I'm thinking about selling and have been researching alternatives.  The SSP118 is definitely at the top of the list after hearing them yesterday.  Shoot, I'm even contemplating a full DV12/SSP118 system now.

They also had some line array tops paired with 2 VS21 subs/side.  Absolutely crazy the amount of sound coming out of this system.  My entire body vibrated from those 21's (along with the building) but the sound was tight, crisp, clear, and very loud...actually blew a breaker on one side of the room.

All in all, I'm glad to have had the opportunity to hear some Bassboss gear.  Their systems are definitely no joke.  David and Lian were very friendly and helpful answering my questions.  I got the feeling that they specialize in good customer service.  I recommend having a listen if they are ever demoing in your area.  It was fun.

Anyway, now I've got GAS and need to sell some gear....crap.
Greg H.

Daniel Paglinco

• Highoctaneproduction

I got to hear some Bassboss speakers and subs yesterday at a live demo.  It wasn't outside, but the DV12 indoors sounded fantastic and got really loud.  They were paired with their SSP118 (which is what I went to hear) and 2 DV12 and 2 SSP118 sounded better than any SOS system I've ever heard.  The DV12 is very smooth with a lot of clarity and stays clean no matter the volume.  The SSP118 was impressive as well.  It hits really hard and provides a nice tight punch....sounds incredible.  I currently have LS801P subs that I'm thinking about selling and have been researching alternatives.  The SSP118 is definitely at the top of the list after hearing them yesterday.  Shoot, I'm even contemplating a full DV12/SSP118 system now.

They also had some line array tops paired with 2 VS21 subs/side.  Absolutely crazy the amount of sound coming out of this system.  My entire body vibrated from those 21's (along with the building) but the sound was tight, crisp, clear, and very loud...actually blew a breaker on one side of the room.

All in all, I'm glad to have had the opportunity to hear some Bassboss gear.  Their systems are definitely no joke.  David and Lian were very friendly and helpful answering my questions.  I got the feeling that they specialize in good customer service.  I recommend having a listen if they are ever demoing in your area.  It was fun.

Anyway, now I've got GAS and need to sell some gear....crap.

Hey Guys!!

We have been running a Bassboss dv12/vs21 system for the past 9 months after selling off our yorkville ls808 and e2152 system. New to this forum but came across this searching for some other guys using dv12’s. Finally got some content/video with them outside which was the original question here. Feel free to reach out to me for any more info.

https://youtu.be/bJ0XNDbvekw

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Has any heard the Bassboss DV12 used outdoors for music in the park type events?
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 08:36:13 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.