ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ghost signals (my term) and other problems  (Read 1028 times)

Steve Crump

Ghost signals (my term) and other problems
« on: August 13, 2018, 01:10:43 PM »

This is just more for discussion at this point because the issues seem to be resolved.
At our listening room, the system consisting of a M32R with amp rack and EV QRX speakers with a couple subs make up the FOH. The system has been in place for 2 years, (had Presonus and Yorkville system before). We haven't been doing shows recently because our regular sound guy had a tragedy in his immediate family. Before we took the time to stop shows, Jerry our regular sound guy used the space for his band to practice. One night while practicing, he said that he noticed that the mains sounded, thin, no depth, like someone had messed with some eqing. I told him I would go by and check it. Well sure enough I went by, turned the system on and played music off my phone and the (2) QRXs sounded brittle, thin, no depth. That day I really didn't have time to go through the system I just wanted to hear what he was hearing.
The other day Jerry and I both were by the listening room and decided to turn the system on and check it out. The QRXs are bi-amped and have a DBX crossover in place. First I checked the board to make sure the new sound guy hadn't turned on, or adjusted an eq or filter somewhere. I checked the crossover to make sure it was set right, I checked both the horn and lower driver individually and both had output. So, without any real investigation, I took the HF amp and crossover out of the signal path and set the speakers to passive and the sound came back and we were working again. The only problem, in my hast I didn't take the time to figure out if it was the crossover, amp, or the speaker crossover causing the problem. I will check the amp soon, I tossed the DBX crossover, so no checking it. Any thoughts?

More going on....We originally installed some splitters at the sound booth, with a snake leaving the sound booth going to the green room, this was installed for UGA's use, so the University could record shows for later broadcast on college radio. Well, when checking out the FOH, we noticed with nothing connected into the stage box end of the snake or nothing connected at the end in the green room, we were getting signals on three input channels. I disconnected the snake going to the green room and the signals went away, reconnected and the signals came back. So, I just left them disconnected. Both snakes are routed under the building and it is an old cotton warehouse, so rodents may have got to the cable, who knows. Any thoughts?

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Ghost signals (my term) and other problems
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 01:48:24 PM »

1) The only problem, in my hast I didn't take the time to figure out if it was the crossover, amp, or the speaker crossover causing the problem. I will check the amp soon, I tossed the DBX crossover, so no checking it. Any thoughts?

2) I disconnected the snake going to the green room and the signals went away, reconnected and the signals came back. So, I just left them disconnected. Both snakes are routed under the building and it is an old cotton warehouse, so rodents may have got to the cable, who knows. Any thoughts?
1) I think "tossing" the crossover without checking it out was a mistake.
2) A snake without an input termination is an antenna, if the gain is up on a channel some "signal" may show. A quick test with microphones would determine if there actually are snake problems.
If the snake does have problems, you could check for continuity and shorts with the snake left in place using a male to male XLR to connect various channels in the green room, using an ohm meter at the board end.

Rodents frequently chewed through small speaker and alarm wires in my old crawl space, but didn't bite larger snake and power lines, hopefully your snake has not been attacked.

Good luck!
Art

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 08:36:18 AM »

Like Art I don't think I would have just tossed the crossover with out a little more trouble shooting.

My quick thoughts are you have/had an open leg on an balanced line somewhere, could be a cable or a piece of equipment, That will cause lower levels and "thin sound".
Not sure what DBX crossover you had but it could have just gotten set to the X10 mode, got switched to mono three way mode while it was connected for stereo bi-amp operation or someone just turned too many knobs.

Steve Crump

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 10:13:36 AM »

Mike and Art,

I appreciate the input. I will circle back and check out the snake going to the greenroom.
I did check all the settings on the DBX before removing it, and I may should have saved it to check out later. But, in my defense my electrical contracting business is off the hook at the moment and I knew I wasn't going to take the time to go any farther since the issue seemed resolved. We also have been making changes at the venue which have been time consuming, so I guess the DBX got the short end of the deal.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 10:13:36 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.