ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: raw speaker moves nicely, but no audio.  (Read 5615 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: raw speaker moves nicely, but no audio.
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 07:47:14 PM »

You think it just needs a recone?   I’ve never done it but terrible woth soldering.  Any other obstacles to recone?

Buy 2 kits and figure you'll screw up the first one.  After that you can probably do it right the first time.

It's not rocket surgery or brain science but it does require good prep work (like painting a house).  Some cone kits are pretty much drop in replacements and others require finesse.

@ Geert, I take it that's an "after market" kit from Waldrom?  Last I knew, JBL didn't sell recone kits to the public, only to accredited JBL service centers/technicians.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 09:27:14 PM »

Yes, aftermarket. Original will be about 200-250. Complete driver 350. I would give it a try.

Found recone video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nY_y0QmaCU

Dave Guilford

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 08:39:14 AM »

Buy 2 kits and figure you'll screw up the first one.  After that you can probably do it right the first time.

It's not rocket surgery or brain science but it does require good prep work (like painting a house).  Some cone kits are pretty much drop in replacements and others require finesse.

@ Geert, I take it that's an "after market" kit from Waldrom?  Last I knew, JBL didn't sell recone kits to the public, only to accredited JBL service centers/technicians.

Which begs the question: is there a difference between JBL cone and aftermarket cone?

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 10:23:16 AM »

I have done a few recones, and they worked out well.  All RCF drivers.  Always with kits that had assembled voice coil/cones.  The hardest part was cleaning off the old glue from the frame.  Cleaning the gaps wasn't that difficult.   Other than that the hardest part was making sure the voice coil is aligned, which for me wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.  Also, be sure to use the right glues.  There is not much soldering involved.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 11:17:23 AM »

I have done a few recones, and they worked out well.  All RCF drivers.  Always with kits that had assembled voice coil/cones.  The hardest part was cleaning off the old glue from the frame.  Cleaning the gaps wasn't that difficult.   Other than that the hardest part was making sure the voice coil is aligned, which for me wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.  Also, be sure to use the right glues.  There is not much soldering involved.

I have a different opinion.  I am pretty sure you will fuck it up.  I know I would.  I watch my speaker guy and there is an art to it. 

I watched him shim in the 18" drivers out of our ancient Meyer 650's and carefully fill the ferrofluid.  It was very tedious and I am glad I paid someone else to do it.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dave Guilford

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2018, 01:06:43 PM »

So I’m still looking into this. The JBL replacement drivers are pretty expensive. I am basically looking at about 450 bucks including tax and shipping. For the same price I can get a pair of eminence Kilomax pro 18a drivers and make them both match. 

Would that be a suitable replacement to the original 2044?   Bonus points that they’re 8ohm which means no more 2-ohm loads on my amp. Because I run the subs off one side of a ma9000i amp. 

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Replacement
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »

So I’m still looking into this. The JBL replacement drivers are pretty expensive. I am basically looking at about 450 bucks including tax and shipping. For the same price I can get a pair of eminence Kilomax pro 18a drivers and make them both match. 

Would that be a suitable replacement to the original 2044? 
Dave,
The Kilomax pro 18a has a Vas slightly less than the JBL 2044, and similar Fs, other T.S. parameters also similar, so should work OK in the JBL cabinet. As it handles more power, less likely to burn out, and recones with original parts are less expensive.

Art

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 09:19:08 PM »

The Kilomax is not a good choice for these cabs.. or any cab IMO but that is another story.  These boxes are only about 5.8cu ft internal tuned to 45hz so you need a modern driver designed for small boxes. The Eminence Definimax fits that description but are you limited to that brand, B&C has some really good drivers that would work well here too.

Dave Guilford

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 10:23:48 PM »

Which one of you should I believe?

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2018, 11:08:06 AM »

Which one of you should I believe?

If you have the time & inclination, download WinISD or any other speaker modelling program and have a play your self.
Or, wait for someone to come along who's already got it.

Like me ;-)

Herewith the predicted output, at XMax, of the original driver, the two Eminences and the B&C 18RBX100, in my best guess as to the cabinet size and tuning.

Re the Kilomax specs, the biggest difference is that it has a higher Qes which results in the peakier response above tuning around 70Hz and earlier rolloff you see here.
The Definimax has the lowest nominal Xmax of the 4, hence it seeming to be the quietest.

HTH,
David.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2018, 11:08:06 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.