ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning up...  (Read 4217 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Cleaning up...
« on: August 13, 2018, 10:33:40 AM »

Anyone have experience with any of the Stihl line of power washers?

Specifically: (lower end of their commercial line)
https://hudsonsoutdoor.stihldealer.net/products/pressure-washers/professional-pressure-washers/rb600/?sku=rb600&rc=true

I've grown weary of the "quality" of items sold at the big-box stores.  I have a commercial trimmer and chainsaw from Stihl; both which have been excellent.  Was hoping their power washers were along the same grade.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Cleaning up...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 11:15:44 AM »

I love my stihl chainsaw.

That pressure washer looks like the real deal for professional use, but is priced that way.

I bought one for a small fraction of that price and for my needs it seems adequate. I washed decades of black mold off my bricks last year, so they are good for a while. I need to wash out my car port, but no hurry.

If you plan to use it often, or commercially that investment may make sense. For my infrequent use, I am happy with my much cheaper selection.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Rick Earl

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 11:50:52 AM »

I love my Stihl chainsaws and trimmer, I just did the research on a pressure washer, for about 1/2 the price you can get a highly rated Simpson with a Honda Engine.
]https://simpsoncleaning.com/products/msh3125-s/[url][/url]

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 02:27:34 PM »

I love my Stihl chainsaws and trimmer, I just did the research on a pressure washer, for about 1/2 the price you can get a highly rated Simpson with a Honda Engine.
https://simpsoncleaning.com/products/msh3125-s/[url]]]https://simpsoncleaning.com/products/msh3125-s/[url][/url]

I just purchased a Simpson with a Honda motor based on the online recommendations. It's great so far. I was incredibly impressed that immediately after taking it out of the box, filling it with gas and oil and connecting the hoses, it only took a half-hearted pull and the engine was purring nicely. None of my other equipment ever took less than 2 or 3 pulls to start.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 02:37:33 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

Over the years, I have come to accept that quality will come at a cost.  Most things I purchase (for whatever it is that is being purchased) tend to be on the commercial/industrial side.  Every attempt is made to purchase something once (or maybe twice at the most).

Thanks for the Simpson link.  Many years ago, I had a Honda powered washer, but after 3 years, the pump (the actual pump itself) came apart.  The pump replacement was sort of expensive, and I could not get an OEM part.

The second power washer (non-Honda) only lasted 2 years before engine failure (B&S engine).  The pressure hose (between the pump and the wand) was so cheap... don't get me started.

So... now looking at heavy duty (commercial lines) of power washers.  I just want something that will work when I need it to (just like the chain saw and trimmer).

off topic -- I'm looking at commercial toaster next:
https://www.hobartcorp.com/products/cooking/toasters

(290 slices an hour - this should last me a life time)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 03:20:04 PM »

You putting on a Rocky Horror party?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 03:55:40 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

Over the years, I have come to accept that quality will come at a cost.  Most things I purchase (for whatever it is that is being purchased) tend to be on the commercial/industrial side.  Every attempt is made to purchase something once (or maybe twice at the most).

Thanks for the Simpson link.  Many years ago, I had a Honda powered washer, but after 3 years, the pump (the actual pump itself) came apart.  The pump replacement was sort of expensive, and I could not get an OEM part.

The second power washer (non-Honda) only lasted 2 years before engine failure (B&S engine).  The pressure hose (between the pump and the wand) was so cheap... don't get me started.

So... now looking at heavy duty (commercial lines) of power washers.  I just want something that will work when I need it to (just like the chain saw and trimmer).

Honda makes different grades of engines.  I had a pressure washer and a push mower years ago based on the GX160 engines - they are junk.  The better grades are fine I presume.

For an infrequently-used tool, have you considered electric?  The basic 120v 15A ones probably aren't quite as powerful as the Stihl in your first link, but they are cheap and always work if you're willing to work a bit slower.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 04:13:25 PM »

I've grown weary of the "quality" of items sold at the big-box stores.  I have a commercial trimmer and chainsaw from Stihl; both which have been excellent.  Was hoping their power washers were along the same grade.

As nearly lifelong industrial gear queen, I appreciate that quality usually comes at a price. But for a long time now (> 4 decades) crap has often come at a price, too. Legacy brands with stellar or "classic" reputations start selling outside their core line with rebranded generic (almost all made in China) products. Many tool brands (Snap-on, Rigid, DeWalt, come to mind) as well as photo/optics (Leitz, Zeiss) and, I'm sure lots more (JBL?). I've heard marketing folks call this "milking the brand". I find it a little sad. Buyer beware.

I've owned a couple of Stihl saws, and while on-the-whole good and a pleasure to use when they're working, one fairly new one has had a failed fuel pickup hose (that was tough to find) and a failed ignition module (ordered a replacement direct from China -- so far so good). --Frank
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 04:18:33 PM by Frank Koenig »
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 04:25:22 PM »

For an infrequently-used tool, have you considered electric?  The basic 120v 15A ones probably aren't quite as powerful as the Stihl in your first link, but they are cheap and always work if you're willing to work a bit slower.

I converted my gas pressure washer to electric (8 hp Tecumseh to 5 hp single-phase motor). Since I own lots of big cords already and have 240 V outlets around my properties this was a great change for me. FWIW. -F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 04:35:56 PM »

Pressure washer literature refers to 3 types of pumps (all are piston or plunger type): Wobble (1) and axial cam (2) pumps are directly driven by the drive shaft and use pistons. Triplex plunger (3) pumps are camshaft/crank driven and use plungers.

https://pressurewashr.com/pressure-washer-pumps/

The last time I researched pressure washers, I was steered away from the axial pumps towards the triplex pumps.  Mostly dependability/longevity reasons. Comparing one pump output depends so much on pump size and engine power. Needless to say more $$$.

Honda GX engines are preferred.  A couple features that are important to me:
- Fuel shutoff
- Low oil shutoff
- On-off switch separate from throttle
- Cast iron bore
- Warranty 36 mos on GX, 3 mos on GC engines.

At least according to this site:https://ventry.com/blogs/faqs/honda-gx-versus-gc-engines

I got a Honda GX attached to a triplex pump w/free shipping a couple (more than a couple) years ago. I use it a couple times a year, and I've been happy.  I can't remember GPM or pressure, but with the small tip, I can drill holes in my deck.

Looks similar to this one:
http://www.allpressurewashers.com/p-6193-honda-pressure-washer-cat-pump-simpson.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAjw2MTbBRASEiwAdYIpsaEn1YVvLdtZXWSivWur7dWhS-oomtSeRXQQkLtrqTa52Tfu8RUnoxoCSyQQAvD_BwE

One other point true for any pressure washers: Pumps require water flowing through the pump to keep them from overheating.  An engine running with the spray handle shut off can cook the pump in very short order - compressing the same water in the pump over and over again.  Doesn't matter the type of pump.
Of course, running it dry does not do the pump any favors, either.  Very easy to do.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 04:45:06 PM by frank kayser »

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 05:07:44 PM »

Chain saw and weed whacker here Stihl. Toaster by Breville.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 09:41:16 PM »

One other point true for any pressure washers: Pumps require water flowing through the pump to keep them from overheating.  An engine running with the spray handle shut off can cook the pump in very short order - compressing the same water in the pump over and over again.  Doesn't matter the type of pump.
Of course, running it dry does not do the pump any favors, either.  Very easy to do.
So wouldn't this point towards an "on demand" electric similar to the smaller consumer electrics (I have one, slow if you're trying to clean a greasy driveway but I got if for cleaning the scum off the deck of my sailboat).

Are there any more powerful "industrial" electric washers?  At my work, they've pretty much outlawed any gas driven landscape tools and the gardeners have these things with large backpack batteries along with battery driven riding mowers.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 09:56:38 PM »

Stihl has one of the best names in the chain saw industry, and my oldest daughters boy friend, who owns a tree service, must have 30 of them. That's why I bought a Husqvarna, because they produce more low end torque and out cut Stihl every day of the week. But I do own a Breville toaster and will agree they don't get much better.

I bought a new pressure washer last year. It's a Ryobi, and although I don't really like the brand their washer is the absolute balls to use. Honda engine, quality pump, and some really nice features including large wheels that make it very easy to move. Knocks raccoons right on their ass at 15 yards, removes paint as needed, and every bit as good as the Stihl.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-3-100-PSI-2-5-GPM-Honda-Gas-Pressure-Washer-with-Idle-Down-RY80940B/203615829
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 09:59:37 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 07:15:30 AM »

Looks like a nice toaster.  I was hoping for something in the 240 volt arena (or even 3-phase:  what the Hobart offers).  Just kidding!  Though, Breville may be my next toaster.

Stihl has one of the best names in the chain saw industry, and my oldest daughters boy friend, who owns a tree service, must have 30 of them. That's why I bought a Husqvarna, because they produce more low end torque and out cut Stihl every day of the week. But I do own a Breville toaster and will agree they don't get much better.

I bought a new pressure washer last year. It's a Ryobi, and although I don't really like the brand their washer is the absolute balls to use. Honda engine, quality pump, and some really nice features including large wheels that make it very easy to move. Knocks raccoons right on their ass at 15 yards, removes paint as needed, and every bit as good as the Stihl.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-3-100-PSI-2-5-GPM-Honda-Gas-Pressure-Washer-with-Idle-Down-RY80940B/203615829

Years ago I considered Husqvarna, but noticed a lot of their chain saws on sale as a remanufactured item.  Since then, I have steered cleared, however, for those whom have their chainsaws have said good things about them.  Not quite a chainsaw, but I do have a Husqvarna garden-tractor that's been top-notch for almost 10 years.  Ryobi seems to be synonymous with hand tools... I'll take a look at their washer - thanks for the link.

If you plan to use it often, or commercially that investment may make sense. For my infrequent use, I am happy with my much cheaper selection.
JR
Yeah, my use would not quite be commercial, but it would definitely get a work out with all the crap around the house/property.

Thanks.

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 12:44:32 PM »

Stihl has one of the best names in the chain saw industry, and my oldest daughters boy friend, who owns a tree service, must have 30 of them. That's why I bought a Husqvarna,...

I guess you're a better lumberjack than your daughter's boyfriend?   8)

btw, If anyone is looking for a used chain saw, PM me.  My dad has them stacked to the rafters and we need to move them before he stops [moving].  Sorry for the commercial but this thread seemed to be one of the most appropriate. 

Lastly, Bob, I sent a PM a little while back.  Just wondering if you got it. 
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 01:24:05 PM »

Didn't see the PM Drew. Please send again if important. Sorry for the delay.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 01:28:22 PM »

Anyone buying or using a pressure washer should not only have a selection of heads, but should specifically have a rotating / orbital head. That's the type head I use and am using to strip paint off the house where needed. The only problem being they're strong enough to chew up cedar shingles if you're not careful.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 01:36:22 PM »

Looks like a nice toaster.  I was hoping for something in the 240 volt arena (or even 3-phase:  what the Hobart offers).  Just kidding!  Though, Breville may be my next toaster.

Years ago I considered Husqvarna, but noticed a lot of their chain saws on sale as a remanufactured item.  Since then, I have steered cleared, however, for those whom have their chainsaws have said good things about them.  Not quite a chainsaw, but I do have a Husqvarna garden-tractor that's been top-notch for almost 10 years.  Ryobi seems to be synonymous with hand tools... I'll take a look at their washer - thanks for the link.
Yeah, my use would not quite be commercial, but it would definitely get a work out with all the crap around the house/property.

Thanks.

Bob,
One thing I didn't point out is that the Ryobi is a 4 cycle Honda as specified, but the washer idles down when you let off the trigger. It's not a part of the trigger itself, so it must sense need and goes to full pressure immediately as needed. Saves fuel and very low noise levels. Wicked cool washer.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 01:46:59 PM »

Overlooked on pressure washers the quality of the pump.
CAT makes some of the best pumps with internal pressure regulators, this helps when you're not pulling the trigger to keep the pressure down so it doesn't damage the pump.
     a lot of cases people will lay down the handle while they're moving things and leave the motor running, if it does not have an internal pressure regulator this can shorten the life of the pump.
      Most of the motors built by everyone except for a few maybe Kohler and Honda are Briggs & Stratton engines .
      Another point to be considered is the pump oil should be changed often,
 it extends the life of the pump.
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 03:44:31 PM »

last century, a shop I was at had a Karcher. Diesel fuel for the burner, and 110 for the pump.
It could go from cold water to steam. We used it mainly for car and truck engines and engine bays. Nice to de-grime before you start pulling shit apart.
EXTREME CAUTION with steam on car paint..... it destroys it pretty quick.
Also, keep the high pressure stream away from electronics and the connections. Even WeatherPak connectors were damaged by the spray.
Sure was nice to work on a clean engine though.......
Oh, it shut off the pump and burner when you let go of the trigger.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 11:19:50 PM »

Any good electric units these days? I really don’t want another engine (unless it is diesel ).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 01:24:58 AM »

So, Bobs gone from knocking off raccoons with a potato gun to a high powered water pistol.  They'll never go hungry and they'll always be clean.  ;)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 04:13:49 PM »

A few observations from my experience and research:
  • Honda doesn't make pressure washers. They make the engines that many other companies use in the pressure washer carts they build. If someone says they have or tries to sell you a "Honda pressure washer" they are either lying or don't know what they're talking about. Either way, they're lying.
  • Most brands of pressure washers don't make the pumps, either. They are integrators that use other manufacturers' engines and pumps. Maybe they make the cart they put the engine and pump on.
  • I don't know about Stihl. They might actually make (or contract to their specs) the engines and pumps. I know that Stihl's power equiment is well-regarded.
  • The best pumps are oil-lubricated triplex piston pumps. They are usually attached to a horizontal-shaft engine. CAT and COMET are good brands of pumps; I'm sure there are others.
  • Look for industry-standard quick-connects for the hoses and nozzles. Many "big box store" pressure washers have oddball or proprietary fittings.
  • A 25-foot hose between the pump and the stinger is too short.
  • Drain the pump when you're done so it doesn't freeze. A few short pulls on the starter rope will do. Make sure the kill switch is in the "off" position or the spark plug is disconnected.
  • Swivels at the stinger end of the hose don't swivel when the hose is under 2500 PSI pressure.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 05:25:17 PM »

A few observations from my experience and research:
  • Honda doesn't make pressure washers. They make the engines that many other companies use in the pressure washer carts they build. If someone says they have or tries to sell you a "Honda pressure washer" they are either lying or don't know what they're talking about. Either way, they're lying.
  • Most brands of pressure washers don't make the pumps, either. They are integrators that use other manufacturers' engines and pumps. Maybe they make the cart they put the engine and pump on.
  • I don't know about Stihl. They might actually make (or contract to their specs) the engines and pumps. I know that Stihl's power equiment is well-regarded.
  • The best pumps are oil-lubricated triplex piston pumps. They are usually attached to a horizontal-shaft engine. CAT and COMET are good brands of pumps; I'm sure there are others.
  • Look for industry-standard quick-connects for the hoses and nozzles. Many "big box store" pressure washers have oddball or proprietary fittings.
  • A 25-foot hose between the pump and the stinger is too short.
  • Drain the pump when you're done so it doesn't freeze. A few short pulls on the starter rope will do. Make sure the kill switch is in the "off" position or the spark plug is disconnected.
  • Swivels at the stinger end of the hose don't swivel when the hose is under 2500 PSI pressure.
Great observations!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 05:25:17 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.