ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative Hi-Hat mic stand?  (Read 7405 times)

Jon Brunskill

Re: Alternative Hi-Hat mic stand?
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 06:31:03 AM »

Wow, that's a lot of work for a wedding band.  In terms of cymbals, I just use a pair of overheads and call it a day!

it's only three mics, so not too much work. Worth it for a super clean looking stage.

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2018, 12:26:08 PM »

To keep things clean on a crowded stage I bottom mic using an Onstage msa-9508 clamped onto the hat stand with an AT pro37.  High pass at something like 250Hz and never had any rumble issues.  This is for rock bands.  If it was jazz or lighter smashing of brass I would mic the top.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 12:53:23 PM »

To keep things clean on a crowded stage I bottom mic using an Onstage msa-9508 clamped onto the hat stand with an AT pro37.  High pass at something like 250Hz and never had any rumble issues.  This is for rock bands.  If it was jazz or lighter smashing of brass I would mic the top.

If I could HPF at 2k I would.  Too much snare bleed in the HH mic most of the time.

Back in my analog recording studio days we almost never put a separate mic on the HH, we'd aim the snare mic to get the desired balance.  That was 30+ years ago and needs/desires change, but instead of fighting something, make it work for you.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 01:01:21 PM »

If I could HPF at 2k I would.  Too much snare bleed in the HH mic most of the time.

Back in my analog recording studio days we almost never put a separate mic on the HH, we'd aim the snare mic to get the desired balance.  That was 30+ years ago and needs/desires change, but instead of fighting something, make it work for you.

I can't remember the last time I was asked to mic a HH yet I've NEVER lost the HH in the mix.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2018, 02:28:18 PM »

I can't remember the last time I was asked to mic a HH yet I've NEVER lost the HH in the mix.

Funny you should say that, because until last Saturday I've have instantly agreed.

Outdoor show, municipal park amphitheater, "C" level national act for support.  Due to artist arrival times it was decided to set up and check opener first, then set headline up behind them and do their check.  In the "re-changover" back to the opener the HH line didn't get patched and it was plenty obvious it was missing.   :-[

Maybe it's my choice of mic placement or the way I user overheads when I'm mixing, but I'd never so not heard high hats before...

Chink, ca-runch. Sizzle.  YMMV.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Wes Garland

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2018, 09:09:41 AM »

I'm not as experienced as most of you guys, so I tend to second-guess myself a lot.  One thing I do is keep an extra wireless ready to rock and roll, already patched in, on a mid-sized stand with a tele boom. If I ever had a I high-hat-less mix, I would run over to the kit, drop it almost under the hats and run back. Then blend it into the FOH slowly.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2018, 05:57:50 AM »

If you don’t have room for a hi hat mic stand, chances are you are playing a small stage/room where it’s likely the least of your problems.  Overheads usually will pick up plenty as will other mics on such small stages.  Miking the underside of a hi hat is not a good idea, even if you see it being done on tv or by “named” engineers, they should know better.  Any decent drummer will tell you that the hats have different weights, the tops being lighter, the sound is also drastically different.  I recommend finding out what the drummer is doing and mic for the occasion.  If I have to lose a hi mic in a live gig, it doesn’t bother me that much, especially if the player is good.  If the player is not so good, it probably doesn’t matter anyway. 😁

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2018, 10:56:20 PM »

What about one of these stands. 
Franklin,

At only 21" tall, it would only reach the underside of the hi-hats. OK for bottom micing a snare, but when full extended they are unstable with anything but a featherweight mic.

As Roland Clarke just pointed out, the bottom side of a hi-hat sounds little  like the top of a high hat, which is what the drummer is (hopefully) listening to.

Micing the bottom of a high hat is like micing the back of an acoustic guitar, or under the harp on a grand piano, they both make sound, but not what you generally want to hear or use to represent the instrument.

Art

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2018, 11:27:32 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.