ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative Hi-Hat mic stand?  (Read 7537 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Alternative Hi-Hat mic stand?
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 08:23:44 PM »

Hey guys,
I've always used a standard tripod mic stand with small boom extension for my Hi-hat mics (K&M stand) but I've recently been fighting for more floor space on the drum risers from certain regular bands.

Is there an alternative that I'm just not seeing out there that I can use as a replacement for hi-hat mic stand?
I've seen these hi-hat mic mounts that clamp on the hat stand, but have a feeling that a lot of "noise" would travel and get picked up on the mic...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicStdExtBrkS--k-and-m-23800.500.55

Use this k&m bracket all the time with an atm450 ( miced from underneath) and I have never noticed out of control bleed.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

John Schalk

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 09:11:10 AM »

Before our drummer switched to a Gibraltar rack with attached mic clamps, we used a straight mic stand with a round base (vocal stand) for the high hat.  No boom.  Worked fine.  Very fast to setup :)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 04:47:23 PM »

I guess I HPF my high hat input too high, I don't hear, in the PA, the thumps/thuds you all talk about.

In the general din of cymbal bashing and snare drums on steroids, beaten with telephone pole drum sticks, covered by wailing guitar rigs and mud-pumping basses I'm not sure it would be audible anyway.

YMMV.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 05:47:29 AM »

I guess I HPF my high hat input too high, I don't hear, in the PA, the thumps/thuds you all talk about.

In the general din of cymbal bashing and snare drums on steroids, beaten with telephone pole drum sticks, covered by wailing guitar rigs and mud-pumping basses I'm not sure it would be audible anyway.

YMMV.

This...

The other option is that your mics have a ton of handling noise.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 08:48:12 AM »

LOL, I'm in the same boat as you guys. I'd never hear any vibration-induced bleed in a hi hat mic!

I second the round based straight stand. Works great, fast, and I usually put a claw on it and can reach the snare too.

I've also seen plenty of claws mounted underneath the hats.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 12:53:30 PM »

I second the round based straight stand. Works great, fast, and I usually put a claw on it and can reach the snare too.

I put some booms on a pair of those for overheads, much smaller footprint, sandbag as needed.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 03:37:36 PM »

I've had very good results using the Shure A53M/55M shock mounts whenever needed.  Especially good on customer supplied lecterns with attached goose necks.  Shure has a series of elastic "ShureLock" mounts that fit their mics, and other suppliers and manufacturers have similar products.

Jon Brunskill

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 05:16:26 PM »

In my own band (playing covers in bars and weddings), we under mic the cymbals and hats, using 3x standard Shure A56D drum clamps.

While under mic'ing is not my favourite tonally, it's perfect for small stages, means we have 3x less stands to carry, and at the end of the day, it's really mostly for our IEMs and recording anyway. I do have HPF's on all three to cut down on resonances from the stands and I've never noticed a problem. Mics are 2x Octava MK012 for cymbals left and right and an SM57 for hihats.

josh allman

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 06:29:44 PM »

I got some of those triad-orbit mounts, they are pretty trick and I can mount on a nearby stand and get my hat that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wes Garland

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 08:28:35 AM »

Wow, that's a lot of work for a wedding band.  In terms of cymbals, I just use a pair of overheads and call it a day!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 08:28:35 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.