ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative Hi-Hat mic stand?  (Read 7546 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
Alternative Hi-Hat mic stand?
« on: August 08, 2018, 04:56:24 PM »

Hey guys,
I've always used a standard tripod mic stand with small boom extension for my Hi-hat mics (K&M stand) but I've recently been fighting for more floor space on the drum risers from certain regular bands.

Is there an alternative that I'm just not seeing out there that I can use as a replacement for hi-hat mic stand?
I've seen these hi-hat mic mounts that clamp on the hat stand, but have a feeling that a lot of "noise" would travel and get picked up on the mic...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

John L Nobile

Re: Alternative Hi-Hat mic stand?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 05:03:45 PM »

Hey guys,
I've always used a standard tripod mic stand with small boom extension for my Hi-hat mics (K&M stand) but I've recently been fighting for more floor space on the drum risers from certain regular bands.

Is there an alternative that I'm just not seeing out there that I can use as a replacement for hi-hat mic stand?
I've seen these hi-hat mic mounts that clamp on the hat stand, but have a feeling that a lot of "noise" would travel and get picked up on the mic...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

I've had good success with a clamp mount/gooseneck on the hardware, usually a cymbal stand.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 05:40:47 PM »

LP Claw on adjacent cymbal stand?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 06:33:53 PM »

LP Claw on adjacent cymbal stand?

Rob, I tried that not long ago and still got bleed-thru when the drummer would hit the crash cymbal.. :0/

I've thought about possibly attaching a clamp with an extension arm attached from the Snare stand.. may have to try that.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 06:45:06 PM »

What about adding those little Gibraltar vibration prevention thingies....

mic shock mount

Never used one - I even have a couple in my mic box but I don't know how good they are.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 06:48:54 PM »

mic shock mount

Never used one - I even have a couple in my mic box but I don't know how good they are.

Hmmmm, that could possibly work as well.
Thanks!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 06:59:21 PM »

mic shock mount

Looks like Gibraltar makes a bunch of shock mount stuff.
Looking down the screen from the link Debbie posted.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 07:22:10 PM »

Not sure about live work.  I've tried hanging mics off stands for recordings and I can always hear thunks.  And I'm not that fastidious a guy when it comes to super clean recordings, so if I can hear it, it must be strong.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 08:16:56 PM »

I have noticed two things when it comes to drums being hard mounted to anything; this includes mic's.

1. The Vibration is shared and amplified through whatever rigid devise that the drum or mic is attached to.

2. You can hear a sound and there is no way of removing the sound unless you remove the physical rigid connection.

My good friend bought a Gibralter Rack kit to mount all the drums to. It is amazing at making quick changes because you can build the whole kit and move it pretty easily. The only issue is that you can feel and hear the cymbals and tom hits through the rack cage. So mounting mics on the drums mean that when the cymbal is hit, you can hear the thunk through the tom mics as well. I don't care to have any physical mount that is not directly related to the drum on interest. So if you want to mount a Hi-Hat mic, it should be only to the Hi-Hat tree. This way at least any vibration that you do get is more directly related to that instrument. I would prefer to mic the drums with boom stands so there is NO PHYSICAL connection to anything else, but time and logistics say otherwise usually.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Rick Scofield

• SF Bay Area
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 08:21:51 PM »

Had a similar problem. I have several of those iPad holder things from Parts Express, “I-Claw” that are pretty cheap.

They come with a pretty cool swivel clamp that I don’t normally use for much of my needs, so I repurposed one to attach to a cymbal stand near the hat. Works like a charm, even has a plastic insert inside the clamp so it doesn’t mar the hardware.

$20.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 08:21:51 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.