ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading from LS9-32  (Read 4096 times)

Yusak Christ

Upgrading from LS9-32
« on: August 08, 2018, 10:37:46 AM »

Hi, 

My church has been using yamaha LS9-32 for almost 10years now, and next year we are planning to upgrade our system, but im still thinking whether is it neccesary to upgrade our FOH mixer as we also want to add personal In Ear monitor system for our musicians.

Is our 10 years old mixer still good for today and to also use iem system?

If not, we are planning to upgrade to midas m32, any suggestion or advice?

Any input is needed.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 10:42:22 AM by YChrist »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Upgrading from LS9-32
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 10:57:56 AM »

Hi, 

My church has been using yamaha

Please go to your profile and change your name to follow the forum posting rules.

Mac
admin

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 06:15:22 PM »

Hi, 

My church has been using yamaha LS9-32 for almost 10years now, and next year we are planning to upgrade our system, but im still thinking whether is it neccesary to upgrade our FOH mixer as we also want to add personal In Ear monitor system for our musicians.

Is our 10 years old mixer still good for today and to also use iem system?

If not, we are planning to upgrade to midas m32, any suggestion or advice?

Any input is needed.

Thanks in advance
You can use an LS9 with IEM systems, but if you want personal mixers for each musician, you may need to purchase an expansion card depending on the number of inputs you're using.  The M32 on the other hand, has the Ultranet connection for Behringer's P16 system built into it.   The LS9 itself should be fine to continue using today and will probably last a good bit longer.  I know people who have used Yamaha sound equipment for much longer than a decade without many issues.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 09:14:57 PM »

The M32 on the other hand, has the Ultranet connection for Behringer's P16 system built into it.

Agreed!  This is a very user-friendly system, if earbuds wired to the P16 consoles are acceptable.

@Yusak - I think you would be happier if you upgraded to the M32.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

John Schalk

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 08:51:52 AM »

We upgraded from an LS9 to an M32 for our band 2 years ago.  Overall, the M32 offers many more features than the LS9, however it has one key limitation; it only allows for 32 mic inputs whereas the LS9 can handle 64, I believe.  If you are certain that your Church's music and worship service needs will not grow beyond 32 mic inputs, then the M32 is a very good option.  But, you need to look 10 years into the future because there is no expansion capability for the X32/M32 platform besides the old school sub-mixer approach.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 10:12:10 AM »

We upgraded from an LS9 to an M32 for our band 2 years ago.  Overall, the M32 offers many more features than the LS9, however it has one key limitation; it only allows for 32 mic inputs whereas the LS9 can handle 64, I believe.  If you are certain that your Church's music and worship service needs will not grow beyond 32 mic inputs, then the M32 is a very good option.  But, you need to look 10 years into the future because there is no expansion capability for the X32/M32 platform besides the old school sub-mixer approach.
I think this is good advice.  You'd be moving from a 13 year old design (the LS9) to a 7 year old design (X32/M32).   

There's nothing wrong with the LS9 for running IEMs - it has 16 XLR outs which would let you run up to maybe 14 mono mixes (assuming you're using two outputs for your main system).  This would be done with the sound person doing the mixes for the musicians.  This approach is both better and worse than the various personal monitor systems out there (personal monitor systems add cabling and stage clutter, not to mention cost.  It's not that hard to mix monitors from the sound board).

If you do decide to look for something else, check out the Allen&Heath SQ series.  You can use a phone app for user-adjusted mixes without the cost or clutter of a personal mix system.  If you do want that though, Allen&Heath has their ME series personal mixers.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 12:53:56 PM »

I think this is good advice.  You'd be moving from a 13 year old design (the LS9) to a 7 year old design (X32/M32).   

There's nothing wrong with the LS9 for running IEMs - it has 16 XLR outs which would let you run up to maybe 14 mono mixes (assuming you're using two outputs for your main system).  This would be done with the sound person doing the mixes for the musicians.  This approach is both better and worse than the various personal monitor systems out there (personal monitor systems add cabling and stage clutter, not to mention cost.  It's not that hard to mix monitors from the sound board).

If you do decide to look for something else, check out the Allen&Heath SQ series.  You can use a phone app for user-adjusted mixes without the cost or clutter of a personal mix system.  If you do want that though, Allen&Heath has their ME series personal mixers.
Agreed.  If you need more than 32ch and/or just want a newer, better mixer - check out the SQ7 and ME-1's.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 05:13:40 AM »

The m32/x32 can actually do 38ch using the 6 aux inputs as well. They are easy to forget sometimes.

however it has one key limitation; it only allows for 32 mic inputs whereas the LS9 can handle 64, I believe.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 08:04:36 AM »

The m32/x32 can actually do 38ch using the 6 aux inputs as well. They are easy to forget sometimes.

That is true, but John specified 'mic' inputs for that reason.
I believe one can route xlr to those inputs channels.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they have limited processing too.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 10:00:47 AM »

The original poster doesn’t mention needing more inputs. But this is definitely a consideration with whatever system one buys. I regularly use 2 M32 mixers to do musical theater. And besides all of the inputs it is handy to have that many faders at my fingertips. The more money one has the more mixer choices become available. And some of what seems like a reasonably priced choice of some mixers it becomes very expensive by the time you put all of the options in it that you need to make some of them work the way you need. For one church that I have worked with they are still on a 40 (or is it 48?) channel analog mixer and they have another church that meets there and they have it setup with all the inputs that they need for both setups. I told them with a digital mixer like the M32 it has 32 mic preamps plus 6 Aux inputs for things like playback and the 4 effects rack have their own 4 stereo channel returns. So it actually has almost as many inputs as a 48 channel analog console and they could have different scenes that they recall for each church that meets in that building. 

I have mentioned this before, I had a loaner SQ6 and while. I do like a lot of things about it and there are a lot of things I don’t like about it. It is a very illogical board (to me) in many ways and I have used a lot of different analog and Digital mixes in my audio career. On Friday I have to help configure that SQ6 for an install and I am dreading it. Luckily it is a set up that will not be a configuration that will be changing (set it up and leave it) and it will need a lot of auto mixer channels.

With the M32 and X32 there are different ways to add other flexibility. And it can be reasonably price to do that. I have installed (not on my recommendation) a P16m system with an X32 (the P16 can only take 16 signals into it) and the limitations have been frustrating. For a church that doesn’t use too many inputs that would then require using sub mixes sent to the P16m they can work really well but when you get a lot of inputs the P16 (to me) becomes a pain. 

With the M32 and X32 systems you can (relatively easily) use one mixer for the main mixer and then use something like the X32 rack as a monitor mixer using the proper cable (shielded Cat5 cable with EtherCon connectors on it) to hook them together. With the combination of an M32 using it for the preamps and an X32Rack as the monitor mixer (you can also add a Midas stage box to give you more XLR outputs on the X32Rack) you should be able to get a lot more IEM mixes and free up the M32 configuration. It depends on how many you need and if they need to be stereo. I would lean towards getting all of the IEM mixes from the X32Rack and only put the wireless access point on it that the musicians can get to. Then no matter what they do they can’t mess up the house mix. And the one advantage to that over the P16m system is you can hookup a cheap computer running M32edit and help the musicians with their mixes if they need help.

I hope this is of some help to someone out there.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 10:00:47 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.