ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: stageproofing an A&H AB168 stagebox?  (Read 4411 times)

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
stageproofing an A&H AB168 stagebox?
« on: August 07, 2018, 12:29:53 PM »

I love the "analog snake stagebox" form factor of the AB168, but the thing just seems so vulnerable. Open vents on 4 sides looking at exposed circuit boards. My gigs frequently involve beer and/or rain. Does anybody here do anything to protect theirs?
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Art Nadelman

Re: stageproofing an A&H AB168 stagebox?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 05:38:47 PM »

It's no different than any other stage box.  You can mount it in a rack mount case and at least have protection on 2-3 sides (depending upon how deep a rack you use).

Lyle Williams

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 06:37:42 PM »

I've been eyeing that unit off too.  Naked it is compact and light.  Roadcased it will be bulky and heavy. 

I've been wondering if "a really bulky and heavy box" solution including space for cables, DIs and common mics would be good.

Haven't bought one yet, I'm just thinking about how it would integrate.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 07:29:20 PM »

I have mine in an Odyssey shallow rack bag. It offers some padded protection for transport. I don't really do beer soaked stage events though!

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 01:16:56 PM »

It's no different than any other stage box.

It really is. If a few sprinkles landed on my AR2412, even out of its rack, I wouldn't worry about it. This thing is sooo open.

You can mount it in a rack mount case and at least have protection on 2-3 sides (depending upon how deep a rack you use).

The network and power connections are on the end. That would be a nuisance. It also negates the benefits of the compact unit with its rubber corners. I love the idea that it can just travel in the mic cable box. Racked, I'd be better off with another AR2412.

My planned typical setup is the AR2412 down front, and the AB168 tucked into the drums, but I need some kind of shield to be really comfortable with that idea. Drummers kick things over, and they tend to be located at the edge of the tent, where the rain comes in. Maybe I just get it off the ground on something, and set a case lid on top. Hoping someone has a better idea, is all.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 01:24:29 PM »

Would a simple gator case work? That would protect it on 4/5 sides. Though access to the ethernet/power would be more difficult...

Or this:
https://www.keymusic.com/item/allen-heath-carry-case-for-ab168/

To me, it looks like all that needs protection is the side with power & ethercon and the opposite side.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 04:10:49 PM »

Would a simple gator case work? That would protect it on 4/5 sides. Though access to the ethernet/power would be more difficult...

Or this:
https://www.keymusic.com/item/allen-heath-carry-case-for-ab168/

To me, it looks like all that needs protection is the side with power & ethercon and the opposite side.

There's no fan. It'd burn up in that case. There are vents on the bottom, the back, and both ends, with circuit boards right up against all of them.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 04:13:50 PM »

There's no fan. It'd burn up in that case. There are vents on the bottom, the back, and both ends, with circuit boards right up against all of them.

The cushion case is out.

I don't think it would burn up in the gator case. Given the rack mount rails will give it a good bit of free air flow on the sides.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Art Nadelman

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 04:25:50 PM »

The network and power connections are on the end. That would be a nuisance. It also negates the benefits of the compact unit with its rubber corners. I love the idea that it can just travel in the mic cable box. Racked, I'd be better off with another AR2412.

My DX168 is racked as was my AB168 when I ran a GLD.  I keep the power cord and a 30' ethernet cable connected to the DX168 all the time and coil them up in the rack case.  When I need an ethernet cable longer than 30', I have a piece of white tape on the DX168 to mark the spot where the cable gets connected.  It's really no problem plugging the longer cable in when needed.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 04:40:01 PM »

You could even go further and put a neutrik ethercon in the larger rack mount.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 04:40:01 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.