ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Concert mixes that don't suck  (Read 2555 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Concert mixes that don't suck
« on: August 04, 2018, 05:10:24 PM »

We see multiple threads every year about various concert experiences that are lacking - some a little, some a whole lot.  This is about the opposite.

Over the past 5 years we've done a few shows where both my boss and the HR dept (Mrs Boss) were impressed and the ones most impressive were mixed by the same guy - Jim Yakabuski.

Concert mixes don't have to suck.  Go see/hear Peter Frampton to renew your faith in live audio.

Yaks found a bad box in the hang while tuning and turned to me and said "we'll do lunch while you sort this out."  The fix ended up requiring a trip back to our shop for a replacement box for the unit we could demonstrate the issue and another for a box that I thought was iffy after trouble shooting the rig while hanging.  We had the rig back together in plenty of time for him to re-tune and ready for band sound check.  He was incredibly gracious and pleasant the entire time and the end result was a stellar mix for a great band and guitar legend.

We don't settle for "well, it worked yesterday" or "it was good enough for Styx last week."  Jim made it really easy to find and fix the problem, giving us the time and no attitude whatsoever.  It's a great day when a BE give you the chance to make things right and then delivers a memorable mix & show. :)

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jim Rutherford

Re: Concert mixes that don't suck
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 08:45:53 PM »

Two examples of great ability, caring, and gracious attitude. 
Well done by Tim’s team also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 09:12:46 PM »

I was frankly embarrassed that the rig wasn't 100% when I handed it over to him and I've seen BEs get grumpy to downright abusive (a long story for another time).  Jim makes it really easy to do the right thing and doesn't cop a 'tude, then delivers a high quality mix in a horse arena. :)

The icing on the cake was the top notch musicianship on stage and a whole bunch of punters having a great time.  That's why we do this. :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 12:51:01 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 10:21:09 PM »

Shit’s gonna happen. It’s all how you deal with it....on either side.
That why it’s so important to have a system tech on site who can make quick decisions and has initiative to problem solve....not just babysit.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 11:32:04 PM »

We see multiple threads every year about various concert experiences that are lacking - some a little, some a whole lot.  This is about the opposite.

Over the past 5 years we've done a few shows where both my boss and the HR dept (Mrs Boss) were impressed and the ones most impressive were mixed by the same guy - Jim Yakabuski.

Concert mixes don't have to suck.  Go see/hear Peter Frampton to renew your faith in live audio.

Yaks found a bad box in the hang while tuning and turned to me and said "we'll do lunch while you sort this out."  The fix ended up requiring a trip back to our shop for a replacement box for the unit we could demonstrate the issue and another for a box that I thought was iffy after trouble shooting the rig while hanging.  We had the rig back together in plenty of time for him to re-tune and ready for band sound check.  He was incredibly gracious and pleasant the entire time and the end result was a stellar mix for a great band and guitar legend.

We don't settle for "well, it worked yesterday" or "it was good enough for Styx last week."  Jim made it really easy to find and fix the problem, giving us the time and no attitude whatsoever.  It's a great day when a BE give you the chance to make things right and then delivers a memorable mix & show. :)

I've toured with Jim a few times and he is a very classy gentleman and an awesome mixer.
Sounds like an adult day all around.
Cheers

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 11:53:05 PM »

I've heard many good mixes in my day, and it's always refreshing to read about another. My favorite has always been Brian Setzer, any concert, any time.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 02:28:21 AM »

Jim is not just an amazing engineer he is a great human being and a really nice guy to talk to.

Peter was headlining the crusie and how this works is the crew gets on when we leave port and the headliner flies in at a port along the way and departs the same day.

The rig on mainstage was ground stacked kara with 6 sb28's.  Cl5 at monitor world and a profile at FOH.  An SD8 was under cover for Frampton.

The first four nights with Bands you loved as a kid (all rights to Tim) was painful.  Hideous amounts of mid (imagine that with ground stacked LA's) and a lovely ring at 200hz that would build up between songs to the point the artist had to give a "hey guys can we take care of that" on the PA.

Show #1 with Peter (2 shows on main stage a night that alternates with dinner seating) from the first measure to the encore (just how does PF keep feel like you do sounding fresh after 40 years).  When I saw his huge guitar rig I was ready for anything but it was so restrained used just for a bit of feel if you stood in front of it.

What Jim did for that little LA rig was glorious, jaw dropping and wonderful.  The band was so tight it was amazing.

No tricks were used to tame that nasty cruise ship room.  Jim
,  walked and listened,  EQ was done and off to the races,

Jim and his wife stayed on to supervise the load out and enjoy the day and 1/2 at sea before heading back to Nasheville.

I have never forgotten the brief interaction and he is the engineer and person I aspire to be.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

(Edited to current syntax and spelling)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 02:40:58 AM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 03:08:48 AM »

I've heard many good mixes in my day, and it's always refreshing to read about another. My favorite has always been Brian Setzer, any concert, any time.

I have only seen him once.  Stray Cats at Brixton, 2004.  Fantastic.  I can tell that he cares about the sound and every live Brian Setzer Orchestra show I have seen on video looks and sounds good too.

Steve.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 12:37:51 PM »

Wife and I saw Jeff Lynne's ELO Saturday night at the Forum. Opening act Dawes mix was horrible - booming kick, muddy bass, and the mix wasn't gelled - from only 5 guys on stage.

ELO came on with 13 musicians, and mix was night and day. Amazing sound; we were on the floor halfway back and great show.

Wish the opening act engineer would ask ELO's engineer for tips; get that it's totally different style of music and house wasn't full, but there have to be tips for dialing back the low end when the house is half empty, which is pretty much the standard when opening acts are playing...

Taylor Hall

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 09:11:50 AM »

Wife and I saw Jeff Lynne's ELO Saturday night at the Forum. Opening act Dawes mix was horrible - booming kick, muddy bass, and the mix wasn't gelled - from only 5 guys on stage.

ELO came on with 13 musicians, and mix was night and day. Amazing sound; we were on the floor halfway back and great show.

Wish the opening act engineer would ask ELO's engineer for tips; get that it's totally different style of music and house wasn't full, but there have to be tips for dialing back the low end when the house is half empty, which is pretty much the standard when opening acts are playing...

Color me jealous, I was gutted that the closest tour stop to me was in NYC and I lacked the vacation time to make it happen. I had tickets for the Zoom tour as well many years back before they ended up cancelling their US leg... I guess I'll just have to keep my LPs spinning and hope for the same effect :P
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 05:38:09 PM »

I've worked Frampton twice and both occasions are rank highly on my list favorite gigs.

We've got TajMo (Taj Mahal & Keb Mo) tonight--based on the soundcheck I just heard, it's going to be a phenomenal sounding show. Great band and crew.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 06:29:22 PM »

The last really good mix I recall was for "Australian Pink Floyd", outdoors at the Chastain Park Amphitheater (Atlanta).  Not only was the mix (and stereo field) impressive, the whole show was at just the right volume.  Powerful enough to rock, yet no one was wincing or ducking for cover.

Dave

...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 07:07:18 PM »

The last really good mix I recall was for "Australian Pink Floyd", outdoors at the Chastain Park Amphitheater (Atlanta).  Not only was the mix (and stereo field) impressive, the whole show was at just the right volume.  Powerful enough to rock, yet no one was wincing or ducking for cover.

Dave

With the slope Chastain is just an amazing outdoor amphitheater.  In the early 90's I was living in Jacksonville, Fl. and dating a girl in Alpharetta (who happened to work for Digital), it was a little under two hours in the Piper PA-32 I was flying at the time and if the weather cooperated I was up there every weekend. 

Saw some iconic acts at Chastain - Traffic (Winwood was top of his game), Chicago, Indigo Girls, Cranberries, Carole King, Moody Blues, Shawn Colvin, ASO. 

Ok I will stop, you kicked the wayback machine into action.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 07:07:18 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.