ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 setup for bar band - New Scene from scratch  (Read 3624 times)

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
X32 setup for bar band - New Scene from scratch
« on: August 01, 2018, 03:11:19 AM »

I've had my X32rack now for maybe 18 months and it's going really well.
I use it anything from Duo's, 5 piece rock bands, DJ's etc.
I just this week ordered an SD8 to drop by the drummer to clean up our stage a little bit and run less cables (he has stereo IEM, vocal, tracks, click and at least 4 drum mics, so replacing those longer cables with a single shielded cat5 and shorter cables as needed).

While setting up the X32 scene to move all these inputs around I had a few questions.

1/ Can I control the gain on the SD8 stagebox from X32-Edit? (running on a MS Surface Pro)?
What about from Mixing Station?
I don't yet have the SD8 (it's not connected), but first glance seemed to suggest I need to go into the setup menu, go to preamps and select the AES50 block that matches my stagebox - here I can set gain along with phantom power etc.
When I go into the channel where normally I'd set the gain for the X32rack inputs, it only has trim.

2/ What would be the best use of the inbuilt effects?
I have previously run 3 vintage reverbs. 1 for FOH, 1 for Mon and 1 for IEM (Me on guitar and Drums both use IEM).
What do you do?
Is there a go-to compressor for the main vocal mics that is better than the channel strip?
Should I have a seperate reverb for the drums in FOH.
So many options and so little time to tweak when running from the stage.

3/ The High-Z inputs on the SD8, is there any issues running an iPad headphone out into these?

My next gig with my PA and Speakers will be August 25th - so I'm trying to see what options I should try at soundcheck that night.

For reference, this is small venues with < 150 people.
Overhead mic(s) are for IEM only and drums is often just kick and snare

Cheers for your time!

-Callan
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:59:52 AM by Callan Browne »
Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Nate Zifra

Re: Newbie Q's: X32 setup for bar band
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 10:24:41 AM »

I run combinations of the DL32, SD16, SD8.  Once you have your routing set (AES A, for example) and the device connected, you will have control of the preamps and 48v from the channel strip, in all remote systems (edit, mixing station, ipad, etc).  You won't have to go into the setup/preamp menu (unless you use gain split, another topic and function).

Run your FX to taste, but I definitely recommend using a separate fx for iem and foh. That way you can adjust what you need separately for FOH and not have to worry about messing up the iems.

I haven't used the hi-gain inputs for that function.  I always run a di.

I've had my X32rack now for maybe 18 months and it's going really well.
I use it anything from Duo's, 5 piece rock bands, DJ's etc.
I just this week ordered an SD8 to drop by the drummer to clean up our stage a little bit and run less cables (he has stereo IEM, vocal, tracks, click and at least 4 drum mics, so replacing those longer cables with a single shielded cat5 and shorter cables as needed).

While setting up the X32 scene to move all these inputs around I had a few questions.

1/ Can I control the gain on the SD8 stagebox from X32-Edit? (running on a MS Surface Pro)?
What about from Mixing Station?
I don't yet have the SD8 (it's not connected), but first glance seemed to suggest I need to go into the setup menu, go to preamps and select the AES50 block that matches my stagebox - here I can set gain along with phantom power etc.
When I go into the channel where normally I'd set the gain for the X32rack inputs, it only has trim.

2/ What would be the best use of the inbuilt effects?
I have previously run 3 vintage reverbs. 1 for FOH, 1 for Mon and 1 for IEM (Me on guitar and Drums both use IEM).
What do you do?
Is there a go-to compressor for the main vocal mics that is better than the channel strip?
Should I have a seperate reverb for the drums in FOH.
So many options and so little time to tweak when running from the stage.

3/ The High-Z inputs on the SD8, is there any issues running an iPad headphone out into these?

My next gig with my PA and Speakers will be August 25th - so I'm trying to see what options I should try at soundcheck that night.

For reference, this is small venues with < 150 people.
Overhead mic(s) are for IEM only and drums is often just kick and snare

Cheers for your time!

-Callan

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 10:47:20 AM »

I like the Fairchild 660 emulation on the X32.  Set the balance fully clockwise and set the bias to about 3 o'clock (too little and the comp appears to not work, too much and it seems more aggressive than other 660 emulations I use; experiment to find your happy place).

I think I like the 660 because I heard it on countless recordings during my youth, but I find myself responding favorably for whatever reasons.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 04:19:12 PM »

I like the Fairchild 660 emulation on the X32.  Set the balance fully clockwise and set the bias to about 3 o'clock (too little and the comp appears to not work, too much and it seems more aggressive than other 660 emulations I use; experiment to find your happy place).

I think I like the 660 because I heard it on countless recordings during my youth, but I find myself responding favorably for whatever reasons.
Thanks Tim,
Do you use that on (lead) vocal individual channels or across group?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 04:22:28 PM »

I run combinations of the DL32, SD16, SD8.  Once you have your routing set (AES A, for example) and the device connected, you will have control of the preamps and 48v from the channel strip, in all remote systems (edit, mixing station, ipad, etc).  You won't have to go into the setup/preamp menu (unless you use gain split, another topic and function).

Run your FX to taste, but I definitely recommend using a separate fx for iem and foh. That way you can adjust what you need separately for FOH and not have to worry about messing up the iems.

I haven't used the hi-gain inputs for that function.  I always run a di.
Thanks Nate, good to know.
I'll have the sd8 right beside the drummer and the iPad is for tracks and click for a few songs.
I have been running into the x32r aux inputs without an issue so far so I'm hoping the high z channels will be ok.
If I can I'd like to avoid using a di - the cable run will be ~6'

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 05:35:54 PM »

Thanks Nate, good to know.
I'll have the sd8 right beside the drummer and the iPad is for tracks and click for a few songs.
I have been running into the x32r aux inputs without an issue so far so I'm hoping the high z channels will be ok.
If I can I'd like to avoid using a di - the cable run will be ~6'

For want of a nail ----

IMHO Hi-Z sources get a DI and you run a balanced XLR to the input rack.  It's a standards thing.  I don't even use the RCA's for hooking up walk in music, I have a Radial box for that.

It simply eliminates having to be responsible for multiple cable types.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 08:07:53 PM »

For want of a nail ----

IMHO Hi-Z sources get a DI and you run a balanced XLR to the input rack.  It's a standards thing.  I don't even use the RCA's for hooking up walk in music, I have a Radial box for that.

It simply eliminates having to be responsible for multiple cable types.
Hi Scott,
I'm asking specifically about High-Z inputs on the SD8 stagebox.
They are combo XLR/TRS inputs - no plans to use RCA at all.

I have a couple of 3.5mm stereo to dual mono 6.5mm TS cables.
They could go into a DI or direct into the stagebox, but I figure if the stagebox is able to be placed where the DI would have been anyway, then what's the point in adding a pair of DI's and 2 more XLR cables? unless I'm missing something.

All High-Z instruments I will use a Radial DI (JDI/ J48 - bass/ acoustic)

Thanks for your input,

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 04:20:04 AM »

It will work fine, I am very anal about this stuff.  Never had a DI failure in service. 

It's all your gear and probably wont bother you. 

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 12:35:28 PM »

Hi Scott,
I'm asking specifically about High-Z inputs on the SD8 stagebox.
They are combo XLR/TRS inputs - no plans to use RCA at all.

I have a couple of 3.5mm stereo to dual mono 6.5mm TS cables.
They could go into a DI or direct into the stagebox, but I figure if the stagebox is able to be placed where the DI would have been anyway, then what's the point in adding a pair of DI's and 2 more XLR cables? unless I'm missing something.

All High-Z instruments I will use a Radial DI (JDI/ J48 - bass/ acoustic)

Thanks for your input,

It looks like the SD8 only has one Hi-Z input.
1/4" does not a Hi-Z make.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 12:38:23 PM »

It looks like the SD8 only has one Hi-Z input.
1/4" does not a Hi-Z make.

From the B manual Two of the programmable inputs are compatible with Hi-Z sources so you can connect keyboards, acoustic, and bass guitars, etc.

The rest of the 1/4 inch are TRS.  Who knows what the interface looks like and if someone will always remember to use those parts.  Hence why an external DI is the safe play.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 12:38:23 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.