ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: EV XLD/E and Nexo Geo S12  (Read 3890 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
EV XLD/E and Nexo Geo S12
« on: July 31, 2018, 11:48:33 PM »

What do you guys think of the Electro-Voice XLD281 and/or XLE181 array systems?

And The Nexo Geo S12?

Looking into these for two separate projects. I've got no experience using either so looking for some opinions on the quality of the cabinets, ease of rigging, etc... And of course the sound. How would they compare to the newer Meyer stuff, Lina and Leopard systems (yeah, yeah, I know..)? Any ideas on the prices per cabinet?

I know the Nexo system is bigger and heavier than the EV stuff, but they are going into separate installs. The EV is a possibility for a medium-ish outdoor lawn music festival place. The Nexo for a small 1,100 seat concert hall.

Also, what are you opinions/experiences on the EV XCS312 cardioid subwoofer? Seems like a good idea but somewhat shallow on the low end.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 11:58:00 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: EV XLD/E and Nexo Geo S12
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 12:04:36 AM »

I'm curious why those options? 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 12:09:41 AM »

I'm curious why those options? 

Size and weight for the EV stuff and price is the primary consideration. Trying to find a speaker system that will be adequate to cover an open lawn area that could seat as many as 4,000 people, and can be hung from the sound points on a Stage Line SL100 (500lbs per point after the windwalls and banner trusses are included).

The Nexo stuff has been speced by another group for a concert hall that I have been asked to look into.

Like I said, they are for two completely different installs that are not related to each other. I just happen to be working on them at the same time.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 02:54:12 AM »

Why would someone with no experience be responsible for specing a quarter milion dollar acquisition.

Hire someone who can help flesh out the requirements and assist identifying the right partner.

Good luck

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 10:30:50 AM »

We had a GeoS 8 rig on demo about 10 years ago and it was stunningly good in applications that suited its output capability.  We did a concert with Ladysmith Black Mambazo and it was like the guys were singing 6 feet from you, even at the back of the concert hall.  It's a very "hi-fi" sounding rig without EQ hype.

No experience with the smaller EV boxes and haven't heard *any* EV line array recently.

If there is any flexibility in product selection I'd suggest JBL VerTec 4886 - surprising amount of output and it sounds good - not the same as the Nexo but every bit as flexible and pleasing to use.

This also might be a case for Danley, they have a number of products that would meet the weight and sonic requirements.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 11:34:39 AM »

If there is any flexibility in product selection I'd suggest JBL VerTec 4886 - surprising amount of output and it sounds good - not the same as the Nexo but every bit as flexible and pleasing to use.
As I understand it, the 4886s are discontinued and they are not making any more. The VTX A8 would probably fit the bill, but won't be available until after my target date and there's no spec sheet on their website that lists their weight. And I'm not sure if the price will come in where I need it to be.

Plus I'm just not comfortable with JBLs position right now after the Samsung buy out.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 12:03:20 PM »

Is used an option? d&b Q1 is 50lbs/box and punches well above its weight.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 12:05:19 PM »

Is used an option? d&b Q1 is 50lbs/box and punches well above its weight.
I'm 99% sure that they aren't going to want to buy from the used market. Maybe if push comes to shove and I can't find a solution that works new then maybe, but I doubt it.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 12:17:06 PM »

Why would someone with no experience be responsible for specing a quarter milion dollar acquisition.

Hire someone who can help flesh out the requirements and assist identifying the right partner.

Good luck

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Scott! Justice is one of the good guys.

Justice: I don't use the XLD often but the times I have I've been satisfied, when used within it's limitations. They're light enough to hang a number of them on an SL 100- 8 of them is 384 lbs. Don't expect a lot of LF from a pair of 8's per cabinet.

8 per side on a lawn for 4000 could be pushing it, but is the expectation to cover the entire area at high level? At a certain point the bottleneck becomes the rigging capacity and trim height of the SL100.

Verify the capacity of those rigging points though- There's a few versions of the SL100 out there with different capacities. The ones I use most often have 800lbs/side capacity on the PA points and the most recent version looks to have almost double that.

I've been quite happy with 6x JBL VTX V20's a side hung from an SL100 doing street festivals, cultural festivals, day in the park type gigs. With bumper, chainfall, cabling it's under 800lbs. Usually, the "throw" is too good, I'm having to turn down the top cabinets because it's too loud at the back of the venue -where the vendor, sponsor tents are, etc.

Last few years I've mixed a Scottish tattoo festival with a 400' + distance to cover. The name of that game is to get speech (and a bit of music) as loud as possible because let's face it, these people love massed bands. The V20s easily walk all over the 8/side EAW KF730s that they replaced.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 02:49:53 PM »

Lighten up Scott! Justice is one of the good guys.

Justice: I don't use the XLD often but the times I have I've been satisfied, when used within it's limitations. They're light enough to hang a number of them on an SL 100- 8 of them is 384 lbs. Don't expect a lot of LF from a pair of 8's per cabinet.

8 per side on a lawn for 4000 could be pushing it, but is the expectation to cover the entire area at high level? At a certain point the bottleneck becomes the rigging capacity and trim height of the SL100.

Verify the capacity of those rigging points though- There's a few versions of the SL100 out there with different capacities. The ones I use most often have 800lbs/side capacity on the PA points and the most recent version looks to have almost double that.

I've been quite happy with 6x JBL VTX V20's a side hung from an SL100 doing street festivals, cultural festivals, day in the park type gigs. With bumper, chainfall, cabling it's under 800lbs. Usually, the "throw" is too good, I'm having to turn down the top cabinets because it's too loud at the back of the venue -where the vendor, sponsor tents are, etc.

Last few years I've mixed a Scottish tattoo festival with a 400' + distance to cover. The name of that game is to get speech (and a bit of music) as loud as possible because let's face it, these people love massed bands. The V20s easily walk all over the 8/side EAW KF730s that they replaced.

I know Justice is a good guy and I assume he is starting his new career path in Florida and have wished him well.  Someday I may even be lucky enough to try some of his brisket.  One of my all time favorite stories of his was a obtained a replacement for a concert grand piano on show day.  I get all that.

I also did not notice it was him as I posted that reply from Tapatalk on a mobile device.  However my statement still stands.

Half the threads lately are pedantic discussions comparing two arbitrary devices.  Pages of prose is composed seeking out some advantage or perceived nuance that will tip the person fully immersed in the serotonin bath we call GAS.   It's one thing to do this at the MI level however purchasing a system for a large venue is a far more involved process.  The decision matrix includes technical, business and logistic items to be weighted into the ultimate decision.

Justice stated this was not his wheelhouse so the answer is valid, get a third party to help and select between the integrators.  See what solution each one brings.

I did put a "good luck" at end of post to make sure my intent was communicated, clearly I failed.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 03:26:00 PM »

I know Justice is a good guy and I assume he is starting his new career path in Florida and have wished him well.  Someday I may even be lucky enough to try some of his brisket.  One of my all time favorite stories of his was a obtained a replacement for a concert grand piano on show day.  I get all that.

I also did not notice it was him as I posted that reply from Tapatalk on a mobile device.  However my statement still stands.

Half the threads lately are pedantic discussions comparing two arbitrary devices.  Pages of prose is composed seeking out some advantage or perceived nuance that will tip the person fully immersed in the serotonin bath we call GAS.   It's one thing to do this at the MI level however purchasing a system for a large venue is a far more involved process.  The decision matrix includes technical, business and logistic items to be weighted into the ultimate decision.

Justice stated this was not his wheelhouse so the answer is valid, get a third party to help and select between the integrators.  See what solution each one brings.

I did put a "good luck" at end of post to make sure my intent was communicated, clearly I failed.

Actually, these are both for systems here in Oklahoma. I haven't heard anything from the company in Florida. I suspect that I don't have the CAD experience that they need and/or that they can't afford to bring me in with the cost of living difference.

Oh man, I was just talking to a guy the other day about that piano rental fiasco...fun times.

I also wasn't really wanting to compare these two systems to each other. Just trying to get some feed back on if they were quality products or there were any known issues with them that would be deal breakers. Both systems are under powered for what they are, because the owners have underfunded the audio install (what's new?). So basic utility functions in a price/weight/size/price requirement are the order of the day. If they sound good, then that's just icing on the cake.

One of these days we'll have a Lab meet up and I'll smoke a couple of briskets.  8)
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 03:32:11 PM »

Given the two options, I'd go Nexo. It's an impressive little system for what it is and I have more faith in Yamaha support than EV.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 03:33:23 PM »

As I understand it, the 4886s are discontinued and they are not making any more. The VTX A8 would probably fit the bill, but won't be available until after my target date and there's no spec sheet on their website that lists their weight. And I'm not sure if the price will come in where I need it to be.

Plus I'm just not comfortable with JBLs position right now after the Samsung buy out.
I haven't heard that 4886 is discontinued.  I thought the S12 was though - that's an older box than 4886 is.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 03:35:19 PM »

JBL is making money, I don't think Samsung bought Harman because it was broken (for a fair bit of IP, yes) and I think Samsung would keep a profitable business intact but who knows?  The same could be said for EAW/LOUD and any number of other of our "boutique" manufacturers that have been purchased by conglomerates.

That said, the VT4886 is still shows as an available product on the JBLpro.com website (look under Tour Sound/VerTec).  If dealers and reps are saying otherwise... nobody told me :(

Given your choices, though, I think the Geo S12 rig would sound good, it's simple to power and it's compact.  You'll want subs no matter what.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 03:36:22 PM »

I haven't heard that 4886 is discontinued.  I thought the S12 was though - that's an older box than 4886 is.
My local JBL dealer is telling they have been discontinued for a couple of months now (apparently they had an order for a bunch of 4886s for a project and JBL canceled the order without filling it because they had just been discontinued). I have an email out to the JBL rep to confirm. I'll post here if I hear anything different.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 03:37:05 PM »

My local JBL dealer is telling they have been discontinued for a couple of months now (apparently they had an order for a bunch of 4886s for a project and JBL canceled the order without filling it because they had just been discontinued). I have an email out to the JBL rep to confirm. I'll post here if I hear anything different.
That would be a bummer (4886 user).

Raul Suarez

• Third Ear Sound
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 04:58:55 PM »

Justice-

We are Harman Dealers and I can assure you that the product is current with current available inventory in the hundreds.
Raul Suarez
General Manager
Third Ear Sound

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 05:13:52 PM »

I have indeed just received confirmation from my JBL rep that there are plenty of 4886s in stock and more still to come. I will retouch base with my dealer and see what they can do.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 05:32:43 PM »

Actually, these are both for systems here in Oklahoma. I haven't heard anything from the company in Florida. I suspect that I don't have the CAD experience that they need and/or that they can't afford to bring me in with the cost of living difference.

Oh man, I was just talking to a guy the other day about that piano rental fiasco...fun times.

I also wasn't really wanting to compare these two systems to each other. Just trying to get some feed back on if they were quality products or there were any known issues with them that would be deal breakers. Both systems are under powered for what they are, because the owners have underfunded the audio install (what's new?). So basic utility functions in a price/weight/size/price requirement are the order of the day. If they sound good, then that's just icing on the cake.

One of these days we'll have a Lab meet up and I'll smoke a couple of briskets.  8)

If you are on a tight budget you get a lot more value from vendors such as FBT and db Technologies than you do with JBL and Nexo.

The FBT Muse's are dual 10's and would win the raw output award.  The db Tech T12's are FIR processed and sound damn good for what they are.  Both vendors have great EASE data you can play with.

\

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 05:53:20 PM »

I commonly fly 6-8  db Tech T12's per side for crowds of this size.  These are usually retro rock, some B (or even A) country acts, and a lot of red dirt country.  BE's are very complimentary about the system.  A lot had never used db Tech system before and have added them to their riders.  At 63 lbs. a cabinet it works well, and I love that they are 3-way wit 6.5" mids.  Zero failures in 4 years of shows.  The BE's love the S30 subs too!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 05:53:20 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.