ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dead zone in front center - Boston Blue Hills Bank Pavilion  (Read 4050 times)

Jon Lippert

Hi everyone, I’ve enjoyed lurking here over the years as more or less a curious music fan. I wonder if you can help me figure something out. I was horrified to learn a couple weeks ago that the the first several rows center at the Boston Blue Hills Bank Pavilion for Beck at least were uncovered sound-wise.  I had fourth row center and the sound was quiet and muddy! I literally moved fifteen rows backward to enjoy the show more.

There was literally not ANY direct sound coverage that I could see or hear.    That’s an outrageous oversight for a professional venue imo. Couldn’t they fly a few speakers in the middle and take care of it relatively easily?

A friend is offering similar seats for David Byrne next week, what do you think the odds are that DB’s team will add that sound?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Dead zone in front center - Boston Blue Hills Bank Pavilion
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 02:11:16 PM »

Before we go into such concepts as front fills or "A Touring Act That's Touring With Their Own Gear" or even "The Production Gets However Little The Promoter Will Pay For," you do need to update your Display Name to reflect your Real, Full Name. As noted in the Posting Rules at the top of this forum as well as when you signed up, this is a requirement in order to participate in these forums.

Kindly pop back into your Profile to update your Display Name to your Real, Full Name, and then we can start chatting about this!

Thanks!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jon Lippert

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 02:20:08 PM »

Sorry about that, all set!

Before we go into such concepts as front fills or "A Touring Act That's Touring With Their Own Gear" or even "The Production Gets However Little The Promoter Will Pay For," you do need to update your Display Name to reflect your Real, Full Name. As noted in the Posting Rules at the top of this forum as well as when you signed up, this is a requirement in order to participate in these forums.

Kindly pop back into your Profile to update your Display Name to your Real, Full Name, and then we can start chatting about this!

Thanks!

-Ray

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 02:23:07 PM »

Thanks!

So there's a couple things at play- I don't know the venue, so I don't know if they have an installed system or if they have outside-provided PA. If it's installed, then a good chance that what you encountered at the last show would happen again. However, the artist might be touring with certain things, and maybe this new show will be bringing them with them.

It's also possible that [if using a hired-in system] the promoter looked at the bill and decided that front fills were something they could live without, and "saved money."

It's also possible that the FOH engineer decided they didn't need the front fills for this show, regardless of whether or not they were available.

It's also possible that the main PA SHOULD have been able to cover that area, and it wasn't set up/deployed correctly.

There's just so many possibilities...

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Rafi Singer

• Singer Production Company
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 04:56:30 PM »

My understanding with that venue is that it depends on the show. Sometimes Scorpio (a regional company) provides the PA, other times, the tour travels with their own. I'd imagine Scorpio has it pretty well dialed in at this point, so it might have not been their PA. It's hard to say without knowing the show and asking them directly. 

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 03:25:05 PM »

The house system was installed years ago by a very competent company/member of this board. I don't know why there would be an issue, or if the system has been replaced at this time. What I can say is that the sound at the venue is usually beyond good, and possibly as good as it gets. If the sound sucked then that's on the BE, not the venue.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 11:55:52 AM »

The house system was installed years ago by a very competent company/member of this board. I don't know why there would be an issue, or if the system has been replaced at this time. What I can say is that the sound at the venue is usually beyond good, and possibly as good as it gets. If the sound sucked then that's on the BE, not the venue.

The mains system and associated front fills that Scorpio supplies are not deployed if you are carrying your own production. Just end up using the delay fills from the house package on those days.
Been there many times and you need to deploy your front fills properly. Hard to directly hit the money seats with the main hang due to a few things...point location, weight restrictions.
Great crew and always a fun stop on the tour. The seafood place on the corner is a fave for lobsta rolls!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 05:56:50 PM »

I hate lobsta. Did you know that until the 1800s the people of MA used lobsta for fertilizer.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 06:46:36 PM »

I hate lobsta. Did you know that until the 1800s the people of MA used lobsta for fertilizer.

I did know. "Sea bugs" used to be considered food for only the very poor.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 05:31:02 AM »

I think Beck being mixed by Paul Hagar since Sully moved to RHCP.  He is a very good engineer.  But, in a venue of that size FOH engineer's have to rely on the system tech to make sure zones are still working as they should once the show starts.  It's very possible that during sound check it was fine, but maybe the reflection off the chairs or ground gave the impression of proper response but once the people showed up it was insufficient. 

Also, the front fill is usually off a separate send on the console, so there are instances where something can happen to that send once it leaves the console that the FOH engineer would not hear.

If you find yourself sitting in a zone that is not covered by the same array as the FOH engineer and you can't hear the vocals, go tell them.  Don't go tell them you think he should have used a different mic on the snare bottom, but I want to know if someone can't hear the words.  Not all system techs are as diligent as they should be when it comes to checking zones at then top of the show.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 05:31:02 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.