ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dogle based controller  (Read 2302 times)

Richard Turner

dogle based controller
« on: July 26, 2018, 07:35:27 AM »

Whats out there currently for dongle based DMX control

I haven't been in the market for quite a while as the last ones I had were ADJ myDMX that came "free" with purchase of 2 scanner lights. We had 3 of them when they first came out and they were ok enough but the lack of stack cue made for some compromises/extra programming to be usable for anything beyond wiggle club lighting.

needs to be idiot(DJ) proof in playback mode. even better if scenes and setup are password protected

Would prefer a system that allows stacked cue with priority. martin Lightjockey 1.0 was decent but the GUI is beyond dated. I'd load an old clunker with win XP and use it again but I'll not be running it and want something that has fixture profiles ready to go.

budget friendly $500 budget but could find more if needed.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Jerome Malsack

Re: dogle based controller
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 03:52:42 PM »

Look at the Enttec line and Ethernet addressable.  Wifi with IPAD controls is working its way into dmx.    Enttec ODE or other options on there line.

I have been using Freestyler for computer controlled lighting but you should also consider the learning curve.  Freestyler has  scenes and works more along the lines of a theater program.  I may get blasted but yes there are others out there and they may work better for those needs. 

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 04:13:22 PM »

I have been using the Chamsys MagicQ dongle. You can get a full featured demo dongle that will stop after 5 hrs for $15 and an unobstructed one for $100. They are now distributed and supported by Chauvet. I just went to a 2 day class held by Chauvet in Ft. Lauderdale. MagicQ is very powerful and does take a bit to get your head around, if you are not familiar with lighting programming. The benefit is that it is the same software used on all of their consoles so you can learn one system and upgrade all the way to their stadium console. The software runs on Windows, OSX, & Linux.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 04:42:45 PM »

MagicQ PC and M-PC are the two big ones, but there are many.  Hog 4 PC, grandMA2 onPC, ShowXpress, Compu Show, Freestyler, Nomad, Sunlite...  I'd strongly suggest one of the first two options as they're the most common in the wild, are cheap to deploy, and have a very wide user base.  Most of us using the Nomad/Hog/grandMA software either own a hardware equivalent or just like the platform - nothing wrong with that either.  I just suggest using something that feels comfortable and makes sense to you!

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 05:04:05 PM »

GrandMa Dot2 is free for 1 universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJZjzEfoHok

Not sure what your priorities are (cheap, expandable, user friendly...)

But Like Jeff said, MagicQ, M-PC, Ma.2, Jands are going to be your top 4 right now IMO.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Taylor Hall

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 03:29:29 PM »

We've been using an Enttec USB Pro Mk2 and QLC+ for a couple years now. Does everything we need it to and it has a password protected mode where it will only display the virtual console setup with only the controls that you specify so there's not mucking with preset scenes, cues, etc by the user. The Enttec is worth every penny and QLC is free and infinitely scalable with no universe or channel limit past what your hardware is capable of supporting.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 03:29:29 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.