ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I use these?  (Read 3891 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Can I use these?
« on: July 25, 2018, 08:53:49 PM »

I went through some of my old boxes of cables, connectors and stuff today. I found a couple of antennas that I bought 14 years ago for my old Linksys router that I used for my home network at that time.
I purchased them in addition to the ones that came with the router to get better reception.
I'd like to know if I can use them before I throw them out. They are nice quality.
The only writing on them is. " Linksys 7dbi High Gain Antenna".
Usable on any of my current wireless units?... Sennheiser EW G3 iem transmitters G band - upper 500ghz, Carvin EM900 iem transmitter - low 500ghz, Shure BLX remix receiver - low 500ghz.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: Can I use these?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 09:24:47 PM »

First, on a pedantic note, your wireless equipment is operating in the 500MHz - megahertz - range, not GHz (gigahertz): Million versus billion.

Ok, now that I have that out of my system, if those 7dBi antennas are actually designed and manufactured properly, they're most likely for 2.4GHz (2400MHz) and will not work well at all for your wireless mics. OTOH, if they're made sloppily, they might be be on par with the stock whips, but they won't work nearly as well as a proper dipole or LPDA.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 09:34:48 PM »

What those antennae will work well for is any of the tables based digital mixers around, Midas M-Air etc. I put a high gain on mine and fixed the wifi dropout issues pretty OK.

I went through some of my old boxes of cables, connectors and stuff today. I found a couple of antennas that I bought 14 years ago for my old Linksys router that I used for my home network at that time.
I purchased them in addition to the ones that came with the router to get better reception.
I'd like to know if I can use them before I throw them out. They are nice quality.
The only writing on them is. " Linksys 7dbi High Gain Antenna".
Usable on any of my current wireless units?... Sennheiser EW G3 iem transmitters G band - upper 500ghz, Carvin EM900 iem transmitter - low 500ghz, Shure BLX remix receiver - low 500ghz.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 10:33:13 PM »

First, on a pedantic note, your wireless equipment is operating in the 500MHz - megahertz - range, not GHz (gigahertz): Million versus billion.

Ok, now that I have that out of my system, if those 7dBi antennas are actually designed and manufactured properly, they're most likely for 2.4GHz (2400MHz) and will not work well at all for your wireless mics. OTOH, if they're made sloppily, they might be be on par with the stock whips, but they won't work nearly as well as a proper dipole or LPDA.

Aargh... sorry about the Ghz, Mhz thing. I was thinking about the router bandwidth - oops.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 10:39:24 PM »

What those antennae will work well for is any of the tables based digital mixers around, Midas M-Air etc. I put a high gain on mine and fixed the wifi dropout issues pretty OK.

Like my XR18?

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 01:01:09 AM »

Yes ma'am.

The ones I got for $12 on amazon probably aren't built well at all, but they are better than the factory job and I don't have to haul a router around and ruin the convenience of my little toy.

Like my XR18?
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 01:20:51 AM »

Aargh... sorry about the Ghz, Mhz thing. I was thinking about the router bandwidth - oops.

That wouldn't be bandwidth either, that's interface speed.

It's also Gigabit not Gigahertz.

Wifi Operates at 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

1000Mhz = 1Ghz.

When I cut my teeth on land mobile 2Ghz was considered microwave.  To me it's a miracle 5Ghz Wifi works at all and doesn't get scintillated by every little surface in the path.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 01:24:56 AM »

When I cut my teeth on land mobile 2Ghz was considered microwave.  To me it's a miracle 5Ghz Wifi works at all and doesn't get scintillated by every little surface in the path.

I've always wondered about that, Scott. How does 5GHz Wi-Fi manage to work?

-Russ

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 09:55:15 AM »

Yes ma'am.

The ones I got for $12 on amazon probably aren't built well at all, but they are better than the factory job and I don't have to haul a router around and ruin the convenience of my little toy.

I wish the XR18 had BNC connection and not screw thread. I could pop one on there and try it out.
Thanks Tim.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 09:56:47 AM »

That wouldn't be bandwidth either, that's interface speed.

It's also Gigabit not Gigahertz.

Wifi Operates at 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

1000Mhz = 1Ghz.

:)

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 10:39:34 AM »

There are adapters you can buy.

I wish the XR18 had BNC connection and not screw thread. I could pop one on there and try it out.
Thanks Tim.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 11:05:58 AM »

There are adapters you can buy.

HAH... I didn't know that but I'm not surprised - it seems there are adapters for everything....thanks Robert.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 11:08:27 AM »

Is this what I need?

adaptor

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 11:15:23 AM »

I am seeing 'reverse polarity' referred to regarding the 'RP' SMA antenna on the XR18. Would this make a difference to me being able to replace the existing antenna with the Linksys one?

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 02:24:00 PM »

I am seeing 'reverse polarity' referred to regarding the 'RP' SMA antenna on the XR18. Would this make a difference to me being able to replace the existing antenna with the Linksys one?
BNC is crap for freqs higher than 1 GHz.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 02:57:12 PM »

BNC is crap for freqs higher than 1 GHz.

Not sure I get what you mean Jason. The Linksys antennas are made for routers 2.4 and 5ghz and are BNC. 

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 03:04:47 PM »

Not sure I get what you mean Jason. The Linksys antennas are made for routers 2.4 and 5ghz and are BNC.
My apologies, I was thinking of obsolete specs. Modern BNC are typically OK up to 4 GHz due to better manufacturing tolerances.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 03:43:17 PM »

Ahh, I didn't realize you had BNC antennae. All my Linksys stuff is on SMA connectors. Probably not cost effective to adapt when you can get a pair of SMA antennae for $12.

Thanks Tim.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Ade Stuart

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 04:03:46 PM »

Please, people, it's a capital H,  Hz   ;D

Scott Helmke

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 04:28:13 PM »

Actually the RP usually stands for "reverse pin".  What it means is that what is usually a female connector has a male insert and vice-versa. I see these a lot with TNC connectors.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 04:33:45 PM »

Weirdo connectors appeared in wifi in an attempt to discourage users from adding high gain antennas.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 04:33:45 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.