Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

SOOW Cord 6/4 "Non UL"

(1/8) > >>

Jeff Bankston:
I see a lot of new 6/4 SOOW rolls for sale thats not UL rated. Is this legal for power distro use in the USA ?

Rob Spence:

--- Quote from: Jeff Bankston on July 25, 2018, 03:11:38 PM ---I see a lot of new 6/4 SOOW rolls for sale thats not UL rated. Is this legal for power distro use in the USA ?

--- End quote ---

I though I read some time in the past here that raw cable is often not UL approved but that an assembly might be.

Of what use to us is UL cable?  As soon as we attach cord caps (even if UL listed), the assembly is not UL approved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

TJ (Tom) Cornish:

--- Quote from: Jeff Bankston on July 25, 2018, 03:11:38 PM ---I see a lot of new 6/4 SOOW rolls for sale thats not UL rated. Is this legal for power distro use in the USA ?

--- End quote ---
Perhaps a more relevant question is what are you going to do with it?  Though 6/4 is commonly used for a 50A connection, it’s technically not rated for that with 3 current carrying conductors, which includes any pro audio application with 120v loads.  For code and voltage drop reasons, 4/4 is a better choice.

Jeff Bankston:

--- Quote from: TJ (Tom) Cornish on July 25, 2018, 10:24:53 PM ---Perhaps a more relevant question is what are you going to do with it?  Though 6/4 is commonly used for a 50A connection, it’s technically not rated for that with 3 current carrying conductors, which includes any pro audio application with 120v loads.  For code and voltage drop reasons, 4/4 is a better choice.

--- End quote ---
Using 6/4 from a distro to spider boxes. 2 hots 1 neutral 1 ground. 25' and 50' runs. I prefer 4/4 but the wire wont fit in the Hubbell CS8365C and CS6365C lugs without cutting some strands. My old 6/4 cable is so scuffed up and wore out I cant read the writing on it anymore to see if it was UL rated.

Mark Cadwallader:

--- Quote from: Jeff Bankston on July 25, 2018, 10:59:24 PM ---Using 6/4 from a distro to spider boxes. 2 hots 1 neutral 1 ground. 25' and 50' runs. I prefer 4/4 but the wire wont fit in the Hubbell CS8365C and CS6365C lugs without cutting some strands. My old 6/4 cable is so scuffed up and wore out I cant read the writing on it anymore to see if it was UL rated.

--- End quote ---

4/4 won't fit in a Hubbell Cali connector?  Hmmm. How about in another brand?  I'm planning on building some cables up this fall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version