ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante interface  (Read 5085 times)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Dante interface
« on: July 25, 2018, 02:05:07 PM »

Is there such a thing as a cheapish Dante interface with four analog outputs?

I’m trying to replace two Radial Dante Di boxes + a switch for a computer playback system. I need to get two stereo streams out of a Dante network and into a stage rack.

Andrew Hollis

Re: Dante interface
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 02:09:12 PM »

Search for IO interfaces:
https://www.audinate.com/products/dante-enabled

The Ultimo product is four channels.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 02:42:41 PM »

Look at Audinate’s new AVIO dante adapters. Sounds like they will do the job for you...

Bryan Hargrave

• I'm one jammin' dude.
    • Soundworks of VA, Inc
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 02:55:50 PM »

Look at Audinate’s new AVIO dante adapters. Sounds like they will do the job for you...

Yes. These. To get 4 outputs you will have to buy 2 of these devices. Also, if you don't have 48v POE injectors or switches with 48v POE ports you will need to get those as well. In all, 4 channels and POE will cost you about 300 dollars. If you already have a POE solution, 260. I got mine from Full Compass.
Like us on facebook at Soundworks of VA, Inc.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 03:20:17 PM »

Yes. These. To get 4 outputs you will have to buy 2 of these devices. Also, if you don't have 48v POE injectors or switches with 48v POE ports you will need to get those as well. In all, 4 channels and POE will cost you about 300 dollars. If you already have a POE solution, 260. I got mine from Full Compass.

How are these better than the Radial DIs he already has and is trying to replace? They still require the switch he wants to eliminate, and they are still 2 separate devices just like the existing DIs.

Audinate has a list of I/O devices on their site, but one that's easy to get (although perhaps pricy for this application) is the Yamaha Ro8. It is an 8 out interface that uses shore power not POE.

Mac

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Bryan Hargrave

• I'm one jammin' dude.
    • Soundworks of VA, Inc
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 04:01:02 PM »

How are these better than the Radial DIs he already has and is trying to replace? They still require the switch he wants to eliminate, and they are still 2 separate devices just like the existing DIs.

Audinate has a list of I/O devices on their site, but one that's easy to get (although perhaps pricy for this application) is the Yamaha Ro8. It is an 8 out interface that uses shore power not POE.

Mac

I guess I was interpreting this as he needed to replace them.... as in they failed or were failing and he was looking for a cheap fix. In reading again I guess it doesn't make much sense that 2 Radials and a switch all failed at one time.
Like us on facebook at Soundworks of VA, Inc.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 05:33:03 AM »

...or that they were loaners or similar.

The AVIO’s are also much smaller and lighter than the Radial boxes.

I assume that Helge is running Dante-dvs/via on the computers but this can be eliminated by using the avio-usb instead. This means that any generic computer can be used (even linux!) since it acts as a generic 2ch audio device and therefor does not require any extra device drivers. The avio-usb does not require any PoE as it takes its power from usb.

I guess I was interpreting this as he needed to replace them.... as in they failed or were failing and he was looking for a cheap fix. In reading again I guess it doesn't make much sense that 2 Radials and a switch all failed at one time.

richard_cooper

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 07:02:09 AM »

...or that they were loaners or similar.

The AVIO’s are also much smaller and lighter than the Radial boxes.

I assume that Helge is running Dante-dvs/via on the computers but this can be eliminated by using the avio-usb instead. This means that any generic computer can be used (even linux!) since it acts as a generic 2ch audio device and therefor does not require any extra device drivers. The avio-usb does not require any PoE as it takes its power from usb.

Not sure how we get to the AVIO-USB from the OP's request?

If you don't mind Phoenix connectors there is the Atterotech unD4O

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 09:29:58 AM »

Because this is a new option that hasn”t existed before, until now, so I wanted to point out this option as it is less intrusive than installing $30 drivers onto client computers and doesn’t require any external power supply.

Jeremy Stark

• Bergsten Music
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 12:07:36 PM »

1, 2, 3.... Lift... I mean Coffee.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 01:57:04 PM »

If you don't mind Phoenix connectors there is the Atterotech unD4O

That actually looks rather nice, thanks.

It's a small Dante network for plying back tracks live from stage, I find it a LOT easier to run a single cat-cable than running a soundcard+DIs and cabling around up there.

richard_cooper

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 05:08:25 PM »

It's a small Dante network for plying back tracks live from stage, I find it a LOT easier to run a single cat-cable than running a soundcard+DIs and cabling around up there.

+1

I'm loving more and more the Dante environment for stuff like this. I've got a theatre space that reconfigures between most productions end on, traverse, in the round, etc. To run a cat cable from a network port to a Dante device powered by POE into a powered cab or local amp is a genuine game changer in this space (and the AVIOs are a big part of that game changing given their price)

Because this is a new option that hasn”t existed before, until now, so I wanted to point out this option as it is less intrusive than installing $30 drivers onto client computers and doesn’t require any external power supply.

Fair enough, but the OP is sending more than two channels to a device he needs to output 4 channels... AVIOs are great but not at all relevant.

Jordan Wolf

Dante interface
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 11:17:57 PM »

+1

I'm loving more and more the Dante environment for stuff like this. I've got a theatre space that reconfigures between most productions end on, traverse, in the round, etc. To run a cat cable from a network port to a Dante device powered by POE into a powered cab or local amp is a genuine game changer in this space (and the AVIOs are a big part of that game changing given their price)

Fair enough, but the OP is sending more than two channels to a device he needs to output 4 channels... AVIOs are great but not at all relevant.
This new unit from Sommer cable may work; similar to the AVIO units.
--Airport Circle Sound Reinforcement, LLC--

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 11:50:22 AM »

Is there such a thing as a cheapish Dante interface with four analog outputs?

I’m trying to replace two Radial Dante Di boxes + a switch for a computer playback system. I need to get two stereo streams out of a Dante network and into a stage rack.

https://www.extron.com/product/axi44at

4 in-4out, phoenix-style connectors, POE, about $600. Not sure how suitable this is for a touring application. In a rack, it should survive. Tossed on the deck next to the stage rack, not so much.  8)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 11:50:22 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.