Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Audio Measurement and Testing

Acceptable deviation between boxes?

(1/4) > >>

boburtz:
I measured transfer functions of 16 KF730 boxes individually, each with the exact same measurement conditions. I am curious as to what is an acceptable variance box to box for stuff like this. Is there a standard?  They average out to something close to the published EAW spec, but individually there are some variations that seem to be pretty large.  Does this look normal? If not, do you have any idea what could be causing this or a suggested solution?

Nathan Riddle:

--- Quote from: boburtz on July 24, 2018, 03:41:04 PM ---I measured transfer functions of 16 KF730 boxes individually, each with the exact same measurement conditions. I am curious as to what is an acceptable variance box to box for stuff like this. Is there a standard?  They average out to something close to the published EAW spec, but individually there are some variations that seem to be pretty large.  Does this look normal? If not, do you have any idea what could be causing this or a suggested solution?

--- End quote ---

I believe Ivan has spoke about individual components' tolerances are sometimes swings of 3dB. Could explain the 6dB discrepancy between two farthest deviated components?

Nathan Riddle:
Oh and you've obviously been around via your post count, so I'm assuming the name is Bob Urtz and admins are fine? Threw me for a loop for a sec   ;D

David Sturzenbecher:

--- Quote from: boburtz on July 24, 2018, 03:41:04 PM ---I measured transfer functions of 16 KF730 boxes individually, each with the exact same measurement conditions. I am curious as to what is an acceptable variance box to box for stuff like this. Is there a standard?  They average out to something close to the published EAW spec, but individually there are some variations that seem to be pretty large.  Does this look normal? If not, do you have any idea what could be causing this or a suggested solution?

--- End quote ---

I would be interested to see the complex impedance curves of these boxes as well, so see if there is corresponding differences there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John Roberts {JR}:

--- End quote ---
It comes down to cost... When boxes are intended to be arrayed there is an ASSumption that they will match reasonably well to play together nicely.

I went through this last century with Peavey dealers being unable to convince them why the more expensive drivers required for boxes meant for being arrayed were justified over the otherwise similar boxes playing by themselves, where tolerance matching was not as important.

JR

PS: Of course I have no specific information about those exact boxes, just in general.

PPS: I am not the speaker guy here. I just know a little about a lot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version