ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Non-intrusive delay stack for bar gigs  (Read 5839 times)

Wes Garland

Re: Non-intrusive delay stack for bar gigs
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 11:23:16 PM »

I keep thinking that Alto TX8s would be a good choice for this application, on the right stand.

But then I realize I'm already overworked and nobody is complaining, so....

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 08:45:13 AM »

It's a bar, who cares? Most of the patrons who care about the live music do not sit in dark cornersor hidey-holes.  If the person signing the cheque isn't complaining you're just making work for which you are not being paid.

You're assumption is wrong. The band that I work for regularly, usually packs the house to capacity. Anyone who arrives late ends up with crappy seats or standing room only against their will. Some of them, (sometimes friends of the band,) complain to the band that they can't hear the vocals very well or that it sounds muddy back there in the alcoves or under a low ceiling. My band does indeed relay that to me because they care a lot about how they sound. By default, it's my job to fix it.

The vocals are loud and clear up front and in the main part of the room. More volume at FOH would only burn out the people at the front tables and generate more complaints. (Most people like our band because, even though it's a rock band, the volume is not out of control.) Limited ceiling height prevents me from putting my FOH boxes up higher. I feel fairly certain that small delay fills are the answer here.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:48:30 AM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 10:46:30 AM »

Fulcrum FA28ac?

That would be wonderful, but I doubt they are within budget.
Member since 2005.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 11:24:52 AM »

Hmm... Has anyone heard/used these?  Might go nicely be passable over a small "fill-in-the blank" powered sub where that "New Look" is desired.

<edit>  Just saw that there is a powered version: LA4D, but it would probably sound very "squishy" when pushed as is only rated at 118dB.

Dennis,
I have not heard these specific units, but having used many different small-format "full-range" driver small line array systems, I'm confident for the OP's application they would work well.
118 dB at one meter is plenty for filling in HF shadowed areas.

The "line array" effect is also very useful for small fill areas, less HF level up close compared to at distance can even out response by 6 dB or more compared to a single point source type cabinet.

There certainly are more "hi-fidelity" solutions, but for the application of getting vocals into shaded areas on a budget, the Galaxy audio solution would "get it done".

Art
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 11:34:28 AM by Art Welter »

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 03:31:15 PM »

Small and cheap will do the trick, really.  The psychoacoustics of delay speakers mean that lows and highs don't contribute to the desired balance.  Go raid a pawn shop for some old column speakers retired from a school cafeteria. Drive them thru a digital EQ / delay /limiter like an Ashly 4.24. ( real cheap on Ebay ).  500 - 5k hz should do fine, hard limit as needed and you'll be fine.

I feel fairly certain that small delay fills are the answer here.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 03:20:55 AM »

It's a bar, who cares? Most of the patrons who care about the live music do not sit in dark cornersor hidey-holes.  If the person signing the cheque isn't complaining you're just making work for which you are not being paid.

Exactly this.  Plus, I like to be able to get away from the full on sound if I want to, when in a bar.

Steve.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 03:33:36 AM »

RCF TT52 works well on these stands. Would be a bit over your $1000 budget. RCF TT51 should hit your budget and do exactly what you're looking for, though.

RCF EVOX J8, the new poly box EVOX line would easily hit your budget and have a lot of other good things going for them.

Yep, I had already considered a flat stand and didn't see the need to ask about that here. Also considering the possibility of a column array with small sub. Thanks.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

MikeHarris

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 03:40:20 AM »

Wouldnt a DXR8 do the job ? Could do triple duty as bar delay..small FOH fill or monitors

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 04:55:51 AM »

Looks to me like you want something like this:

https://www.k-array.com/en/install-sound/kk102.html

No idea how much they are, though.

I do wonder how small you can go. To bring a bit of clarity (ie, nothing much below 200Hz) to people within 10' of the speakers, one of those active hot spot monitors might well do the trick.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 07:34:42 AM »

Looks to me like you want something like this:

https://www.k-array.com/en/install-sound/kk102.html

No idea how much they are, though.

I do wonder how small you can go. To bring a bit of clarity (ie, nothing much below 200Hz) to people within 10' of the speakers, one of those active hot spot monitors might well do the trick.

Chris
While huge is not needed for delays, I would also caution against going too small as the person mixing is not usually in the delay zone and it can be easy to boost into limiting/distortion without realizing it.

I recall one club who had eons as delays in the back bar/merch area. They usually started the night sounding passable but by the end of the night were brutal.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 07:34:42 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.