ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How to put FX in monitors - QU-16  (Read 3516 times)

Dustin Campbell

How to put FX in monitors - QU-16
« on: July 20, 2018, 07:49:57 PM »

Hey All- Dumb question here - How do I get a little reverb in to the mix 1,2 etc? I found some stuff on the web and read through the manual but still can't figure it out? I just was programing my scene for a show tomorrow and I have all the channels named and basic monitor mixes - I'm still new to this board- Any help is much appreciated ;D -- or is there an easier way to do it on the iPad app?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 07:55:53 PM by Dustin Campbell »
Banning CA,

Bradford "BJ" James

Re: How to put FX in monitors - QU-16
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 09:43:17 PM »

Select the mix you want fx in, go to the master layer and use the fx return fader to taste.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Dustin Campbell

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 10:32:41 PM »

Makes sense - is there a way I can test on headphones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Banning CA,

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 11:09:46 PM »

Pfl the mix send.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Steve Crump

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 11:38:25 AM »

This is advice you may not need, but when I first got my QU-16 several years ago, I didn't read the book and fully understand the operation of the board, seemed simply enough. I just treated it like most of my devices I turned it on and pushed buttons. Well I carried it to a banquet hall and setup it up to do a small show. I started a line check and started playing with the reverb, the next thing I know things went crazy, got this unreal feedback going on and I blew two HF drivers in my speakers. What I didn't realize is that the board had the FX returns turned up in the FX sends. I didn't realize that was the problem until I googled my particular scenario. So, do check that your FXs are only turned up where you want them to return to. 

Dustin Campbell

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 02:04:52 PM »

For sure - I will definitely study the manual more- I just don’t like testing stuff on a gig - it should be fine though

Banning CA,

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 03:55:38 PM »

For sure - I will definitely study the manual more- I just don’t like testing stuff on a gig - it should be fine though

I can't speak directly to the QU but in general you send an FX return to monitors just like any other input you'd send to monitors.

As Steve C points out, you do not want the FX return channel to be sending to its own mix, i.e. if the send to FX  is on mix 10, you do not want the FX return channel to the mix 10 send active or it will feed back as he experienced.

You should be able to solo up the monitor mix output and hear the FX, just use your headphones and try it at home.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 07:04:24 PM »

I may be wrong on this, but I think the fx returns are disabled going back to the same fx send on the QU’s. Or maybe it’s just unassigned like that by default and able to be inadvertently assigned back to itself. But I don’t think so.

Steve Crump

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 07:41:41 PM »

I may be wrong on this, but I think the fx returns are disabled going back to the same fx send on the QU’s. Or maybe it’s just unassigned like that by default and able to be inadvertently assigned back to itself. But I don’t think so.

It can be assigned easily. After I read your post I thought, I specifically remember the scenario and resolution that blew my drivers only doing a line check with vocals at that point several years ago. So I went to my shop and ran a test.
I don’t have my QU-16 here at the house, but I do have a QU-PAC that I use for back up, so hooked up a mic and speaker and recreated the scenario, same result, major feedback loop until I pulled the returns out of the sends on the FX mix, but still FX going to LR.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 08:51:50 PM »

Good to know. Thanks for checking, Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 08:51:50 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.