ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: SPL TD-1 (a la Danley SH46) mount options  (Read 6766 times)

josh allman

SPL TD-1 (a la Danley SH46) mount options
« on: July 20, 2018, 12:25:50 PM »

So I'm looking to try flying these with a duratruss stand. That can get me in the neighborhood of 10ft plus stage height = 13.5ft over the crowd. I have had an adjustable plate made to get tilt from this horizontally, but wondering if there is a better way since this would go on a stand. I have access to a machine shop so anything can be made. Any suggestions?

My TD-1 boxes are installs, so they dont have any handles or sockets...I didn't get any fly hardware with them

Here's a pic of the auditorium we use. Only concerned about the center three sections, outsides are marked off.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 04:41:51 PM by josh allman »

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
Re: SPL TD-1 (a la Danley SH46) mount options
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 01:44:15 PM »

I'm working on a similar project and will be following this with interest. I want to fly a single SH-46 horizontally (60 deg hor, 40 deg ver) with adjustable vertical angle. My current vision is to mount shear plates made from, say, .25 in. 6061-T6 on the ends of the speaker. Multiple holes in the plates allow a dead hang from a transverse beam at any of a number of angles. In addition, a U-shaped yoke (made from rectangular steel tubing) whose inside width is equal to the spacing of the plates would allow the use of a (beefy) tripod stand.  Since the speaker is dead hung in the yoke the CG is always in line with the vertical axis of the stand -- the least tippy configuration. The plates need only to protrude 1 in. or so above the top of the speaker so should have little impact on transportability.

It will be a few weeks, at least, before I get to any of this and I'll post here how it goes.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

josh allman

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 01:46:50 PM »

I'm working on a similar project and will be following this with interest. I want to fly a single SH-46 horizontally (60 deg hor, 40 deg ver) with adjustable vertical angle. My current vision is to mount shear plates made from, say, .25 in. 6061-T6 on the ends of the speaker. Multiple holes in the plates allow a dead hang from a transverse beam at any of a number of angles. In addition, a U-shaped yoke (made from rectangular steel tubing) whose inside width is equal to the spacing of the plates would allow the use of a (beefy) tripod stand.  Since the speaker is dead hung in the yoke the CG is always in line with the vertical axis of the stand -- the least tippy configuration. The plates need only to protrude 1 in. or so above the top of the speaker so should have little impact on transportability.

It will be a few weeks, at least, before I get to any of this and I'll post here how it goes.

--Frank

I can have pretty much anything made so long as we have good direction. I'm guessing on my TD-1s, a lot of these recessed bolts are potential points for rigging hardware? I might go ahead and buy one of the Duratruss 3900Ls or something so I have something to test on.

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 02:11:26 PM »

--Frank

There's a user on the danley-users-group on facebook (not a member here and I don't want to drop names in a public forum without consent) that has built u-brackets for just this application (single horizontally-oriented SH46). He attached plates top and bottom to attach the u-bracket, and then attached a pole adapter and rigging points so it can be flown or pole mounted.  He also uses it when ground-stacking to "lift" the back end of the cabinet so it's not aimed upward.  Pretty smart idea.  I'll see if I can post some pictures.

Lifting the 118lb box plus hardware onto the stand in the first place would be the tricky part in my eyes, but no harder than ground-stacks of equal height. I wish I were strong enough to pull that off by myself, because I'm sure it would be a killer way to operate them.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 02:13:59 PM »

Pictures taken from aforementioned FB group (not my photos or rig, hope that's OK).

Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 02:14:51 PM »

#2.... (had to do this in multiple posts due to file size, sorry but they lack detail any smaller).
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 02:15:11 PM »

last one
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada

josh allman

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 02:16:01 PM »

I need to find this user group...thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 02:25:09 PM »

Jeremy, thanks so much for posting this. I think I recognize those mounting plates from a forum member here and I might go this route if my approach doesn't work for some reason.

As for getting them up on the stands, I'm expecting to employ the "Iwo Jima" method -- with (minimum) two people. -F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

josh allman

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 12:06:20 AM »

Anyone have an idea where I could get the fly hardware for the TD1? Or the spec sheet on it? I’d like to start there and design something around that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 12:06:20 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.