ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QL5+Rio1608-D Issues  (Read 4003 times)

Jordan Wolf

QL5+Rio1608-D Issues
« on: July 19, 2018, 01:10:15 PM »

Hi All,

Apologies for the longer post, I’m trying to get all the pertinent info into it.

Assisting with a corpy event - 40+ gooseneck mics and a few wireless lavs. Ran into some funkiness that has me stumped.

One QL5 and one Rio1608 along with a bunch of analog subsnakes directly running to the console’s local XLR inputs. Audio output is via the console’s jacks.

The QL5 and Rio were both on the latest firmware, running on DANTE primary over CAT5e. DANTE set as Master Clock @ 48kHz. QL and Rio boxes both set to “1”.

The oddness I was experiencing at first was the Rio would disconnect and reconnect randomly, as well as the console acting sluggish (slow metering, delay in knob values changing, etc.). I re-flashed the firmware, which cleared up the sluggishness.

After that, we added 2 Dugan MY cards and the unit in Slot 2 would not work; didn’t get to swap it into Slot 1 due to time constraints, but 32ch. of AM is better than none).

After this, the console started getting sluggish and the Rio began to have clock issues again.

Power cycling the units in various orders did not resolve the issue, so we tried reloading a saved show from earlier and that restored everything EXCEPT for DANTE ch. 3-6, which had been working previously.

I could see signal when looking at the DANTE ports via the QL patch window, but even though the DANTE channels were patched to the correct channels on the console, no signal passed.

Very confused about these various issues...thanks in advance for whatever insight you’ve got.

The rental company is going to be getting a bunch of questions from me!
--Airport Circle Sound Reinforcement, LLC--

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
Re: QL5+Rio1608-D Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 02:51:33 PM »

In most cases the console should be the master clock and I can't remember the switch settings on the Rio but that sounds like your problem
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 02:51:56 PM »

The Moose outside should have told you before they rented it to you
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

John Penkala

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 03:18:34 PM »

Hi All,

Apologies for the longer post, I’m trying to get all the pertinent info into it.

Assisting with a corpy event - 40+ gooseneck mics and a few wireless lavs. Ran into some funkiness that has me stumped.

One QL5 and one Rio1608 along with a bunch of analog subsnakes directly running to the console’s local XLR inputs. Audio output is via the console’s jacks.

The QL5 and Rio were both on the latest firmware, running on DANTE primary over CAT5e. DANTE set as Master Clock @ 48kHz. QL and Rio boxes both set to “1”.

The oddness I was experiencing at first was the Rio would disconnect and reconnect randomly, as well as the console acting sluggish (slow metering, delay in knob values changing, etc.). I re-flashed the firmware, which cleared up the sluggishness.

After that, we added 2 Dugan MY cards and the unit in Slot 2 would not work; didn’t get to swap it into Slot 1 due to time constraints, but 32ch. of AM is better than none).

After this, the console started getting sluggish and the Rio began to have clock issues again.

Power cycling the units in various orders did not resolve the issue, so we tried reloading a saved show from earlier and that restored everything EXCEPT for DANTE ch. 3-6, which had been working previously.

I could see signal when looking at the DANTE ports via the QL patch window, but even though the DANTE channels were patched to the correct channels on the console, no signal passed.

Very confused about these various issues...thanks in advance for whatever insight you’ve got.

It's possible that you have a bad Cat5e cable. Why not run redundant? Anyway, your ID settings are fine for the console and the RIO. Did you start with a fresh slate so to speak? Meaning that you cleared any mounted Dante devices and remounted them and then ran Auto Setup for the inputs?

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 03:26:06 PM »

Launch Dante Controller and look for any error messages.  Clock should come from where ever the audio is coming from, not always the console.  Are you running redundant or daisy chain?  Using a switch or no?  Did the sluggishness occur with the console alone or only after adding the RIO?

Dugan card internal switches should be set to 48k and native. Don't use the link function on the Dugan cards, flakey optical cables will jump up an bite you.

Nathan Ihlenfeldt

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 04:12:48 PM »

Hi All,

Is their anything connected to the control ethernet port on the QL1, like a wireless AP for an iPad remote? Poor connection to the iPad can cause the sluggish behavior you're describing.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 05:04:23 PM »

It's possible that you have a bad Cat5e cable. Why not run redundant?
We did run a new cable, with the same result. I considered running redundant, but felt that would introduce another point of complexity in troubleshooting.

Anyway, your ID settings are fine for the console and the RIO. Did you start with a fresh slate so to speak? Meaning that you cleared any mounted Dante devices and remounted them and then ran Auto Setup for the inputs?
I did clear and re-mount the Rio box, but I didn’t run Auto Setup as I was under the impression that it was simply a shortcut for the DANTE mapping and the numbers as displayed looked correct.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 07:29:44 PM »

Launch Dante Controller and look for any error messages.
I didn’t have time to do this, actually;

Clock should come from where ever the audio is coming from, not always the console.
Are you running redundant or daisy chain?  Using a switch or no?  Did the sluggishness occur with the console alone or only after adding the RIO?
Clock was set to DANTE.

We were running the Rio in daisy-chain mode, but no cable was connected to the second port on either device.

No switch was used in the setup, it was port-to-port. I simply walked in to help assess the issues and didn’t have a chance to bring in other gear for troubleshooting.

I cannot say for certain if the QL was sluggish before adding the Rio, but a re-flash did make things much smoother.

Dugan card internal switches should be set to 48k and native. Don't use the link function on the Dugan cards, flakey optical cables will jump up an bite you.
Yeah, I abandoned trying to gang the cards together as soon as the one gave me issues. First time I’ve had an issue with a Dugan card that wasn’t user error.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 07:32:58 PM »

Is their anything connected to the control ethernet port...
Nope, I wasn’t operating the console; again, one less thing to consider during my troubleshooting, haha.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 09:59:39 PM »

Too late now, I'm sure, but in the QL setup screen you can touch the little firmware display to open up an error log.  Not saved between reboots. :(

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 09:59:39 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.