ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Culture Club storm washout.  (Read 3226 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Culture Club storm washout.
« on: July 18, 2018, 10:26:47 AM »

My friend won free Lawn tickets to the Culture Club/ B52's/Thompson Twins show last night at outside Koka Booth in Cary NC. Not a show I'd usually choose to go and see but we thought it might be fun.
The forecast was bad but at 51% chance of rain, we risked it. We took our lawn chairs, umbrellas and jackets.
It bucketed down before the show but we were a bit late and missed that downpour. The grounds were very wet when we got there but the sun was out and everything was drying nicely
Thompson Twins played ....bit disappointing - no energy and sterile...sounded like it was all backing tracks to me. At one point the sound went off completely for about 10 seconds and folks started cheering. All of a sudden it came back on and Tom Bailey came in immediately in exactly the right place so the iem feeds were not affected - just FOH.
The black clouds were coming in and by the time the B52's started playing, they were overhead. The band sounded OK - again not sure how much was actually being played live. Bit more fun to watch than Thompson Twins.
After a couple of songs we had some sprinkling but only a few songs later the heavens opened and lightning was striking. I actually smelled burning and it didn't smell like food!!....Umbrellas went up and ponchos went on.
A few minute after that, the music stopped and a guy came on stage and shouted for everyone to get to safety and take cover due to the lightning, that the show is canceled and have  good night!

Everyone including us shuffled over to the bar area overhang with our chairs and umbrellas. There was no where to hide really - too many people pushing others out of the way trying to find somewhere to stand and stay dry.
So we decided to get out of there.

We packed our wet stuff away as best we could, and using our umbrellas we made our way to the car. It seemed everyone was hanging around waiting for the storm to pass and I heard folks talking about waiting for the bands to go back on. Did they not hear what we heard?
We 'sloshed' our way through the puddles to the car.  We were one of only 3 cars leaving the parking lot. ...... We drove to my friends home only 10 minutes away having missed the opportunity to see Boy George - boo hoo.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Culture Club storm washout.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 12:25:03 PM »

Go ahead, tell us how you REALLY feel about that generation of "music"
Don't hire yourself out as a music critic.........  ;D
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 12:46:30 PM »

Chris.

A few gems from the era but I'd not put any of those acts in that category.

The B52S?  Every song was the same.

Thompson Twins?  Forgettable synthpop.

Culture Club?  Remove the wardrobe and makeup from George O'Dowd and it's equally forgettable as Thompson Twins.

Without MTV none of these acts would have 'made it.'
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 12:56:29 PM »

Culture Club?  Remove the wardrobe and makeup from George O'Dowd and it's equally forgettable as Thompson Twins.

I hear you Tim.
Not exactly the brightest generation of "talent"
And all the new kiddies doing remakes of 70's tunes makes me cringe.

Did ypu hear Wheezer's version of Africa ? I can listen to that one..

Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 01:59:39 PM »

Chris.

I thought I was being quite fair in my comments and didn't really intend to bash anyone.
In their defense, part of the problem with the Thompson Twins was that :
1) It was such an early start (6.30) that the lights weren't very effective,
2) They had placed white sheets over half the stage covering the other bands equipment and it looked like my old school gym stage used to half the time.
The musicians were also all wearing white so it looked very odd.
3) Many folks like us were still arriving, and it was chaos in parts what with lawn chairs everywhere. So all that kinda killed the groove a bit ( if you can call Thompson Twins a groove...)
Anyway...In fact, as I had predicted,  it was more fun watching all the wigs and costumes folks had turned up in.
The 80's produced some of my favorite bands and music so I am certainly not anti 80's.
This would have been a fun show and was starting to turn into one till the storm hit what with everyone camped out on he lawn dancing and having fun.
I would have been more upset if I'd actually paid for my ticket... but then again like I said, I wouldn't have bought a ticket.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 02:39:34 PM »

It wasnt a storm that came through , it was Rock Lobster !

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 05:58:05 PM »

That whole time period seemed like a string of one hit wonders. Thanks MTV

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 06:14:20 PM »

Don't get them out here on the left coast like you do back east, but umbrellas in a lightning storm?  Seems like a good way to get a new hairdo.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 06:20:24 PM »

Don't get them out here on the left coast like you do back east, but umbrellas in a lightning storm?  Seems like a good way to get a new hairdo.

I thought about that Stephen but there was no lightning after the initial couple of strikes thank goodness - just very heavy rain -and thank goodness for my good 'ole brolly....... ( spell check just corrected the word 'brolly' to broody because it doesn't get used in the US like the UK- LOL)

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 01:35:40 PM »

Not exactly the brightest generation of "talent"
And all the new kiddies doing remakes of 70's tunes makes me cringe.

Argh!  Thanks for reminding me.  ;)  Think: Tiffany's "I think we're alone now" remake.

Then, along came Antares. Talk about a washout.

-Dennis

<edit> Antares: ... the brightest star in the constellation of Scorpius. They sure chose the wrong name for that product!

<edit 2>  I REALLY like "Karma Chameleon"!  (..and, I am not ashamed.)  -D

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 08:20:22 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 01:35:40 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.