ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY antenna stand question (that I can't find here)  (Read 5723 times)

Loren Miller

Re: DIY antenna stand question (that I can't find here)
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 10:57:17 AM »

Yes, height above obstructions (especially salty water bags) is your friend; a 10 - 20dB increase in RSSI can easily be realized. But, this does not mean one can be complacent about the other factors going into making a robust RF deployment: Placing the antennas as close to the transmitters as possible; good, low loss coax of the correct size for the length required; minimal use (if any) of gain (amplified) stages. And of course ensuring all the equipment is in proper working order.

Henry,

Noob question here, I know that I need a 50ohm cable that is well shielded, what else should I look for in a 10-25' cable? I was thinking of getting some Belden 8267 or Belden 9913f7 and making my own to length, as it seems that 25' of shure UA825 is running about $50? (trying to lean out the operation and keep more of the money I make...well, give it to the wife)

On the other hand most self-terminated bnc cables(mainly video) I have worked with have failed at some point, and they were installs, so maybe I need to buy the good stuff for the road?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 11:17:51 AM »

Henry,

Noob question here, I know that I need a 50ohm cable that is well shielded, what else should I look for in a 10-25' cable? I was thinking of getting some Belden 8267 or Belden 9913f7 and making my own to length, as it seems that 25' of shure UA825 is running about $50? (trying to lean out the operation and keep more of the money I make...well, give it to the wife)

On the other hand most self-terminated bnc cables(mainly video) I have worked with have failed at some point, and they were installs, so maybe I need to buy the good stuff for the road?

Loren,

I must admit I purchased a couple of inexpensive 10ft Belkin pre-made cables and they have been fantastic. No sign of failure yet. 10ft gets the antennas up in the air from the top space at back of the rack to the top of the boom stand I use to about 12ft PLUS the height of the stage.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 03:15:31 PM »

I took a dual mic mount and removed the thumb screw mounts for mics.
Then added a couple of BNC couplers. Notice the quick connect mic stand connection- makes for fast set up and tear down.
I connect my coaxial cables to the bottom and the antennas to the top - works like a charm.

Brilliantly conceived, but way, way too close together for effective diversity. That's less than 1/4 wavelength. Should be at 1 full wavelength minimum.  24 inches.

Here's an economical and better suited solution. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1306972-REG/k_m_23560_500_55_microphone_bar_with_5_8.html

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 03:29:09 PM by Jason Glass »

Scott Helmke

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 06:09:11 PM »

If you want to do a wide stereo bar on the cheap, those little thread adapters that come with microphones are 3/8"-16 on the inside. No fooling, that's the European standard, but it means that with a few of those adapters and some common hardware you can build anything you want.

Most of our antenna cables beyond a couple feet long are made with an RG-8X from "The Wireman" (part 118) along with their matching connectors.  The only trick, as usual, is buying the appropriate crimper.
https://www.thewireman.com/coax.html

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 10:25:05 PM »

Brilliantly conceived, but way, way too close together for effective diversity. That's less than 1/4 wavelength. Should be at 1 full wavelength minimum.  24 inches.

Here's an economical and better suited solution. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1306972-REG/k_m_23560_500_55_microphone_bar_with_5_8.html

Well..... it works.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 10:37:36 PM »

I could do this by using the other 2 mounts I have:

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 11:00:23 PM »

Well..... it works.
Until it doesn't. Just trying to help you optimize.  I still think it's brilliant.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 11:01:12 PM »

I could do this by using the other 2 mounts I have:
Indeed that's closer to ideal!

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2018, 11:04:33 PM »

BTW, If you're handy with a drill, most decent hardware stores sell 6063 aluminum flat stock that's super easy to work with. Just scavenge the parts off of a short one and you'll probably be rocking for under $10.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 01:16:22 AM »

Well..... it works.
Sure so do speakers improperly splayed.  Just because RF waves can't be seen or heard does not mean the physics doesn't apply,

Having the antenna's within 1 wavelength (maybe 1/2 wave) causes them to interact and the omnidirectional pattern will be distorted.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 01:16:22 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.